Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

As Teach First is now accepting applications for 2018 entry I thought I would start a new thread for people to discuss their thoughts on this route into teaching, share pointers (if already completed Teach First or the AC for 2017), and to generally panic about the Assessment Centre together!

Anyone preparing for the July Assessment Centres now? Or who is waiting to hear back from their AC (not sure when the first one is taking place)?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have my assessment centre on 19th July.

I'm definitely most nervous about the lesson!

ReputationRep:
    I have mine on Thursday 6th July. I have been preparing for the lesson extensively today - I'm not sure which part I'm more nervous about!

ReputationRep:
    jules0 - good luck! Do let us know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    I've recieved an offer for teach first commencing in 2018, but having second doubts. Does anyone have any positive experiences to tell?

ReputationRep:
    BombayBicycleClub - Congratulations! If you look through previous years' threads, there are several posts where people talk about their experiences with the programme

ReputationRep:
    I am in the middle of doing the competency questions to apply for 2018 and I am crapping just doing that! I hadn't realised the applications were open, an advisor told me they would open in August back in Feb this year. I just happened to neb on the website and panicked!

ReputationRep:
    exactly the same. i was told august too and luckily came across their twitter which mentioned their early applications. I took a weekend to complete the application and had my friend help me look into it to proofread. I submitted it on a sunday night/monday morning, and heard back by around 10 am on that same monday that i had been invited to an assessment centre, which will be on the 20th of july for me.With regards to the application, i did my best to be as true to myself and my goals as much as possible, while fitting in with their criteria.best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amltab)
    exactly the same. i was told august too and luckily came across their twitter which mentioned their early applications. I took a weekend to complete the application and had my friend help me look into it to proofread. I submitted it on a sunday night/monday morning, and heard back by around 10 am on that same monday that i had been invited to an assessment centre, which will be on the 20th of july for me.With regards to the application, i did my best to be as true to myself and my goals as much as possible, while fitting in with their criteria.best of luck with your application!
    Oh that is good to hear! I will have to complete mine this week between work and farm duties.. I hope they don't invite me as soon as 20th July - I won't get holidays booked in for that.

Argh I hate adult responsibilities!

ReputationRep:
    Do any of the people who've already had their assessment centre know whether they were successful or not yet?

ReputationRep:
    I've got my assessment centre on the 17th August. Definitely most stressed about the lesson. Anyone got any tips for showing empathy whilst keeping control of the "class"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamayreid)
    I've got my assessment centre on the 17th August. Definitely most stressed about the lesson. Anyone got any tips for showing empathy whilst keeping control of the "class"?
    That is a tough one! I guess it will be about building relationships with the class. Showing the class you are boss but you are there for them....

Sorry not much help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamayreid)
    I'd say just be fair if they're misbehaving, but when they're behaving make sure you acknowledge it and if they ask questions or voice concerns or anything, respond kindly and respectfully. Good luck tomorrow!

If anyone's interested, I've created two Quizlet sets - one for the competencies and their definitions and one for ways to show the competencies in the group task: https://quizlet.com/CharAU95/folders/teachfirst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BombayBicycleClub)
    I've recieved an offer for teach first commencing in 2018, but having second doubts. Does anyone have any positive experiences to tell?
    In my opinion, it depends significantly on how much you're willing to commit two years of your life. If you want to be a teacher as a career, I'd fully recommend the programme. I'd still even recommend the programme as someone (like me) who doesn't want to be a teacher after the two years, however you MUST be made aware of how much work the programme is. This is specifically applicable about the first three or so months in the job, in which you will be working as hard as anyone is any other profession, but only being paid 1.4k a month. It's a big sacrifice, but one worth taking if you think you're capable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikuuuu)
    Hi all,

As Teach First is now accepting applications for 2018 entry I thought I would start a new thread for people to discuss their thoughts on this route into teaching, share pointers (if already completed Teach First or the AC for 2017), and to generally panic about the Assessment Centre together!

Anyone preparing for the July Assessment Centres now? Or who is waiting to hear back from their AC (not sure when the first one is taking place)?

I've only heard bad things about this 'course' - if you want to teach then do a PGCE or take the SCITT route.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for both your posts. I've never been afraid of hard work, and really am thinking about pursuing teaching as a profession - looking forward to the challenges ahead!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey All! I also didn't realise it opened so early so I'm finishing my application over the weekend! Anyone back from their assessment centre yet and have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I have had my assessment centre but I don't know yet whether or not I was successful, so I don't know how useful any of my tips will be! When I have heard back (hopefully early next week) and have a bit more time (I have to go to work in a minute) I'll try to put together a big post of tips.

ReputationRep:
    How long was it before people were accepted/declined to go to the assessment centre? When I completed my application it said it could take up to 10 days.
    I wish everyone the best of luck with each step.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm confused about Teach First. What's the difference between this and doing a normal teaching degree or a normal PGCE ? Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.