The Student Room Group

Teach First 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amiwami3
Hi, I was just wondering how long the assessment centre tends to take, as I want to book train Y. Thanks! :smile:

It depends what time your lesson plan is at. I finished around 3pm but other people were only starting their lesson at that time. I would say the latest you could finish would be around 4/5.
Has anyone had to wait longer than 3 weeks to know about whether they were successful at assessment centre. It's the 3 weeks mark for me tomorrow :s
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got a 21/11/2017 AC date? Also, any tips on how to prepare for the day? Was it harder/easier than you expected?
Hi, so did Teach First give you a conditional offer? What happens once you've addressed your action plan? How long did it take from for your assessment centre to find out?Sorry question overload, I'm waiting for my result! 😶
Reply 104
Original post by HalinaAkhtar
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got a 21/11/2017 AC date? Also, any tips on how to prepare for the day? Was it harder/easier than you expected?

I do, at 9.45

This is my first AC so I don't know what to expect beyond the information I've been looking up online.

Good luck!
Reply 105
Do Teach First teachers benefit in regards to scope. Are they more likely to be sought out for promotion? If I was to do Teach First in Primary, as that is what was offered, when I try to apply for secondary school at the end of the two years, will I receive the benefits of this scope?
Original post by Jagwah
I do, at 9.45

This is my first AC so I don't know what to expect beyond the information I've been looking up online.

Good luck!

Mines at 9.45 too! I'm also a first timer so I'm quite nervous :colondollar:

Best of luck to you too!
Original post by Nazz34
Do Teach First teachers benefit in regards to scope. Are they more likely to be sought out for promotion? If I was to do Teach First in Primary, as that is what was offered, when I try to apply for secondary school at the end of the two years, will I receive the benefits of this scope?

If you want to do secondary - ask them for secondary. You will not be trained in secondary after the two years, so you won't get a job in it.
Original post by savannahhome
Hi, so did Teach First give you a conditional offer? What happens once you've addressed your action plan? How long did it take from for your assessment centre to find out?Sorry question overload, I'm waiting for my result! 😶

Not sure if this might be too late for you now! But I found out I'd got my conditional offer exactly two weeks after I attended the assessment centre. Then they sent through all of the information about the post-offer process the following day which included the CKA and action plan, Professional Skills Tests, personal information form etc. They then say that it can take 6-8 weeks until the CKA gets marked and I know a few people have a few weeks wait. But it really depends on the local area you're given and therefore the tutor who marks it as mine was accepted in about 4 days. Then your offer becomes all confirmed once you've met all those requirements and they start matching you to a school! Hope that answers the question :smile:
I got rejected by Teach First. According to the feedback I got, I'd make a crap teacher.
Reply 110
Original post by constantine2016
I got rejected by Teach First. According to the feedback I got, I'd make a crap teacher.

Oh no! Really? I'm so sorry to pry but what exactly did they say?
Reply 111
Original post by emmamayreid
Hi guys, I had the assessment centre in August and thought I would give my feedback for anyone applying just now!

So I applied for primary teaching and was offered a place for 2018 but I decided to decline the offer in the end.

I found the process to be pretty difficult - the one on one interview was pretty intense but, as others have said, if you have plenty of examples of different competencies, you should be alright. One of the things that I noticed other people doing at my centre was using the same example for multiple questions, which I don't think the assessors are too keen on. Even if you feel like you're scraping the barrel in trying to tweak an example so that it answers their question, it's better than repeating yourself and it gives them the idea that you've done lots of different things demonstrating the competencies.

The group challenge was the task that I struggled with the most. Tips I would give to applicants are to read all the instructions carefully and try not to panic. I definitely panicked and didn't do a particularly good job at this task. However, the oral assessment that you do afterwards can be a saving grace. If you are able to pinpoint where you went wrong and explain the different strengths and weaknesses of your team as a whole, you can come across as really strong in the self-assessment competency, which I think is why they passed me on this one. It's also really good if you remember your teammates names, as it looks a lot better when you're discussing the group if you're not having to describe each person. Everyone had a name tag so take a moment to focus on those as well.

The teaching challenge was my absolute favourite. I was teaching KS1 so was able to be quite silly with it, and I chose to do a song about my chosen topic. The assessors will challenge you and even at KS1, they are still disruptive and will act like they are working at very different stages. One of the things to look out for is praising the student that is behaving, rather than focussing on the negative behaviours of the other. Again, the self-assessment is really useful with this as you can think about different teaching strategies beforehand and explain which you would have used if you'd had more time/pupils/could do the lesson again.

Hope that helps and good luck everyone!

Thanks for this!
I wanted to share my experience of the TeachFirst recruitment process, particularly for all those old time graduates! I am not a recent graduate, in fact I graduated 15 years ago and this for me is very much a career change so please don't be put off. Granted on my AC day, there were mainly final year uni students or career changers in their early 20's and very few mature applicants. Can't comment on what the final cohort looks like each year, but would be interesting to know.
It's only been a few days since I attended AC, and I haven't heard anything back yet. Everything is crossed!
The whole application process has been pretty fast - I applied on 24/10 and received an invite to AC a week later. They gave me two weeks notice so plenty of time to book a cheap train ticket. Personally, I found the application and SJT relatively easy, but AC was pretty intense and this is coming from someone who works in a very corporate environment! The only advice I can give is totally be yourself, enjoy your moment and do plenty of prep. The whole day is based around the competencies and they want to see these demonstrated in everything that you do. It's not a competition so don't treat other applicants as the enemy. In fact the highlight for me was getting to know a whole new bunch of people, all of whom share the same goal and passion as you. For the interview have at least two solid examples for each competency and use as much variation as possible as it's probably best to avoid using the same examples for more than one question. You can also use examples from your application as they are blind screening so they will not have seen it.
Sample lesson literally flies by and this was probably the most overwhelming part of the day for me, despite it being the only time you are really in control....strange that!
I was told to expect a call within 2-3 weeks, which is a long time to hear back about a job offer. In the meantime, I'm going to carry on with the 9-5 and focus my attentions on my UCAS application as always best to have a Plan B!
Original post by danielleph
Hi everyone, I sent off my application yesterday. How long does it normally take to hear if you are through to the assessment centre stage? Thanks

I got an email 6 days later.
Original post by constantine2016
It depends what time your lesson plan is at. I finished around 3pm but other people were only starting their lesson at that time. I would say the latest you could finish would be around 4/5.

Mine started at 9:00am and I left at 3:00pm, bu there were still applicants waiting to be seen. To be on the safe side, I would say 5:00pm at the latest
I sent my application yesterday.

This thread has been really helpful regardless of whether I get through to AC or not.
Original post by Nazz34
Hi,It is early October and I was told for 2018 London secondary school English and History are no longer available. Thoughts?

Quite strange- I'm going in for an AC for History tomorrow, but maybe it could be for 2019.
Hi! Wondering if anyone could help me. I applied to teach first over the weekend and did not put any preferences with regards to subject. I'm studying Psychology and from looking at their page of eligibility to teach in different areas I though that I would only be able to teach early years, primary and History (i have an A level in this) and I would be equally as thrilled to teach any of these, hence putting no preference.

But reading through this thread and previous threads is seems that doing a Psychology degree makes you eligible to teach science at secondary? I absolutely would not want to do this. Completely would not feel comfortable teach biology/chemistry/physics because I have a social science degree. I didn't take any sciences at A level. Was glad as hell to leave them behind at GCSE.

Is it possible to ask for preferences if I haven't in my application or will it look bad to ask now as if I didn't investigate enough before submitting my application? If i wait and I am luckily to get offered a place if it happens to be science what are the chances of requested them to change it? I feel worried because the fact i'm considered "eligible" to teach ti and its under filled position compared to other subjects they may be so desperate to fill it they just auto give anyone who is eligible to teach it that rather than other options more suitable for them.
@Chlomc If you get invited to an assessment centre, you will get a phone call from a Person who will liaise between you and Teach First. You will be able to discuss this then, and it won’t affect your application. I hope this helps :smile:
I have been invited to AC for 09/01/2018 - anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending