Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I hope this isnt too early to start this topic but I think that everyone wants to be prepared as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    goodluck, and remember luck is where opportunity meets preparation

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the first banks open their applications for 2018 summer internships?

Also if any are opened already, which ones and when are the next ones opening?

From what I remember last year GS, JPM and CS were some of the first ones to open spring week applications in late july/early august.

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone preparing for online tests?
    Any good resources? and more importantly, any free resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merril Lynch)
    Does anyone know when the first banks open their applications for 2018 summer internships?

Also if any are opened already, which ones and when are the next ones opening?

From what I remember last year GS, JPM and CS were some of the first ones to open spring week applications in late july/early august.
    Last year, many banks opened during the July-August period (the rest opened during the first few weeks of September). I imagine it will be similar for off-cycles.

For those of you completing summer internships, when do you plan to submit your applications? I'm not sure if it's necessary to wait until the end of the internship to include the experience in your CV.

ReputationRep:
    Im just building my CV content up, so that Im ready in September to have a good CV. Than I will train for the tests

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't wait till the completion of an internship either.

I'm a finalist (masters student), so does anyone know if the list of banks allowing finalists to apply have changed?

I've also had mixed experiences with HR ... with some like BAML telling me I'm not eligible for summer internships yet others in my exact situation situation are interning with them this year. My plan is just to apply and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the application forms consist of for each bank for IB? As in do they require a cover letter? What questions are in the form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martimc)
    Im just building my CV content up, so that Im ready in September to have a good CV. Than I will train for the tests
    what's your CV like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    No need to prepare. I have never been preparing and always passed them. You either know it and got the skills or not.

ReputationRep:
    No need to prepare. I have never been preparing and always passed them. You either know it and got the skills or not.
    I've never prepared before and passed them all too (except BNPP). However I'm not out to take any chances, and practicing does get you used to the various format banks use and you just know what to expect.

There is some sense to what you say that they based on your inherent abilities but practicing can help anyone improve. Otherwise, why would there be a market for GMAT and UKCAT practice. To my understanding, they are similar to online tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)

i'd adavise prepping, idk about free resources but jobtestprep and graduatemonkey are the two i used and they were quite handy. did about 2 weeks of prep during freshers and the subsequent week before i comfortably passed each test continually.

surely £30 odd pounds for a significant advantage on test to land you a well paying job is a sweet investment

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into 2nd year so will be preparing for internship applications. I wanted to ask when is the absolute latest I should apply? I want to apply early but I haven't networked much at all yet and would like to be able to attend career presentations and careers fairs so that I can mention having met people from the bank in my cover letter/ interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samraf)
    I'm going into 2nd year so will be preparing for internship applications. I wanted to ask when is the absolute latest I should apply? I want to apply early but I haven't networked much at all yet and would like to be able to attend career presentations and careers fairs so that I can mention having met people from the bank in my cover letter/ interview.
    I don't think waiting for events is wise. They are late September/early October and that to be is quite late. My plan with these events is to go there and the ones I make a good impression on, I will mention to them that I've submitted an app and if there is anything that can be done on their end.

Alternative is to try to network beyond these events.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know which banks use video interviews rather than telephone?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for 2018 summer internship a few days ago, should I accept it or decline and wait for banks to open applications?

ReputationRep:
    Are these accelerated interviews, and when do they apps close? Are incoming MSc students allowed to apply to these SA programs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubermotivated)
    Are these accelerated interviews, and when do they apps close? Are incoming MSc students allowed to apply to these SA programs?
    He probably converted a spring week.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for 2018 summer internship a few days ago, should I accept it or decline and wait for banks to open applications?
    accept, if you find a better alternative, then reject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyrogyra)
    Anyone know which banks use video interviews rather than telephone?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Goldman is HireVue - one other one too I believe. I don't enjoy them as much and showing enthusiasm can be a little forced when you talk to a computer.

(Original post by ubermotivated)
    I'm an MSc student - there are a list of places that allow finalist MSc students, others who don't and some who are in-between. I'm yet to work out which ones are which due to mixed signals - some people I know are interning at places as finalist MSc students where I've had the HR come back to me and tell me i'm not eligible for internships.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.