The Student Room Group

Can my school force me to stay and do a course after my exams?

I finished my GCSE exams today. My deputy head teacher said that I (and others) have to stay at school for an extra week to do the ECDL (ICT related) course. I said I don't want to and asked to not do it , as summer for year 11s has just started. She said if I don't she will fine my parents £100 for each day I'm not there.
Can she legally do that? And can she keep me at school for it even though summer holiday has started? Thanks
Original post by xadambx
I finished my GCSE exams today. My deputy head teacher said that I (and others) have to stay at school for an extra week to do the ECDL (ICT related) course. I said I don't want to and asked to not do it , as summer for year 11s has just started. She said if I don't she will fine my parents £100 for each day I'm not there.
Can she legally do that? And can she keep me at school for it even though summer holiday has started? Thanks

I did ECDL and it was amazing. A very simple and easy course that looks good the the CV.
But if you don't want to do it she cannot fine your parents £100 per day ever.
Although if you go on holiday during that time she can report you and the govnerment could fine you( but not £100 per day lol).
Although she could get social services involved if you are absent for more than a week.but this is extreme. :redface:
TBH they probs won't care too much if you don't turn up - just authorise the absences

I think you should go. Your friends will be there and it's only like two weeks right?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xadambx

Yes - you have to attend school for a minimum number of days. These days are part of the overall calculation. If you don't attend because you don't want to, it's classed as an unauthorised absence and there will be consequences for you and your parents. So best to just attend.
They can't fine you $100 (can't press pound sign on my keyboard) per day. Thats absurd you didn't sign any contract.
When does your school's official summer holiday start? For Year 7 - 10? She cannot fine you if you refuse to stay after the official term has ended.

However if it was a case of not coming in because all of your GCSE exams were over, but school was still officially going on she could penalise you for missing school, not sure if it is £100 a day though.

Best choice is to go in, get registered then not go to the exam. I don't think schools can force you to sit an exam.
We did our ECDL, and I did it in about 6 weeks, with a lesson a week. It's pretty easy to get a good mark in tbh, and the only one you might need to do a tiny bit of practice in is Excel. It's equivalent to a GCSE, so I don't see the harm in doing it.
Get your parents to contact the school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xadambx

The amount they can fine you is £60 a day , but if you dont pay within 21 days it can rise to £120 a day.
Reply 8
Original post by pfdavina
I did ECDL and it was amazing. A very simple and easy course that looks good the the CV.
But if you don't want to do it she cannot fine your parents £100 per day ever.
Although if you go on holiday during that time she can report you and the govnerment could fine you( but not £100 per day lol).
Although she could get social services involved if you are absent for more than a week.but this is extreme. :redface:
TBH they probs won't care too much if you don't turn up - just authorise the absences

I think you should go. Your friends will be there and it's only like two weeks right?

I guess.
My uncle who works in IT said it is a pretty pointless qualification because of how low level it is and how easy it is. And even the government recognised it as being pretty useless and stopped it from counting as a GCSE equivalent. So I dont really want to spend 2 weeks doing after a long month of 24 exams.

But thank you.
Wow everyone here did ECDL for over two weeks and my school is gonna do it in three days (or less) 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
The summer holiday for Year 11s is known for being very long! I remember having like 11 weeks off. :biggrin: Can't you just give up 1 week of this holiday to do something constructive? If you AND others (maybe friends?) have been asked, think of it like a hang out with friends while doing a bit of work towards something that'll look good on a CV.

Do you have a genuine reason for not wanting to do the course or is it more of a "I've finished Yr11, I'm gonna be rebellious, not listening to teachers!"
Original post by alimastudies
Wow everyone here did ECDL for over two weeks and my school is gonna do it in three days (or less) 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck
Reply 12
Original post by ayyy2
They can't fine you $100 (can't press pound sign on my keyboard) per day. Thats absurd you didn't sign any contract.

When u join a school you sign a contract no one reads it but yh u do sign it
Reply 13
Original post by CTLevers
The summer holiday for Year 11s is known for being very long! I remember having like 11 weeks off. :biggrin: Can't you just give up 1 week of this holiday to do something constructive? If you AND others (maybe friends?) have been asked, think of it like a hang out with friends while doing a bit of work towards something that'll look good on a CV.

Do you have a genuine reason for not wanting to do the course or is it more of a "I've finished Yr11, I'm gonna be rebellious, not listening to teachers!"

It's not me being rebellious tbh. Exam season has been so tiring and draining and I need a break rather than going in to another week of school. Infact the days are longer than school days. So I guess its half I need a rest and half I just can't be bothered.
In terms of doing something constructive, I am doing 2 weeks work experience with a law firm as I want to go into law. And I am volunteering for 2 week at a childrens camp
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
Yes - you have to attend school for a minimum number of days. These days are part of the overall calculation. If you don't attend because you don't want to, it's classed as an unauthorised absence and there will be consequences for you and your parents. So best to just attend.

If I had to attend school for a certain number of days, surely the same would be for everyone? Its only a 1/4 of the year group who are being told to do it while the rest are on holiday until September now that exams are done
Original post by xadambx
If I had to attend school for a certain number of days, surely the same would be for everyone? Its only a 1/4 of the year group who are being told to do it while the rest are on holiday until September now that exams are done

What, and that other 3/4 of your cohort haven't been forced to do something different? They've just been allowed to go on holiday?
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
What, and that other 3/4 of your cohort haven't been forced to do something different? They've just been allowed to go on holiday?

Yup

Quick Reply

Latest