The Student Room Group

Am I right to feel annoyed with my friends?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, that's annoying as hell and I'd ditch em
Yeah, you should. I know this feeling all too well.
Thanks for being so nice everyone :smile: It's nice to see that I'm not just over-reacting! I think I'll continue being friends with them until Prom has finished, and then we'll gradually just drift apart over the Summer.
Original post by Anonymous
It's kind of hard though, as people just always seem to get sick of their friends, and go off with someone else. It happens to most people in my year, and I just don't understand why people feel like they can only be good friends with one person.

Same, I mean it's better to have more than one friends in case. I remember when I had a problem I moved from group to group, luckily I had more than one friends otherwise I wouldn't have been in this position today, where I realize who is really there for me. But then again I get those feelings where am just like my friends sometimes say hurtful stuff, but I ignore it because it's either them or no-one. They treat me really good, the best from nearly everyone in my year group.
6 of us. I really don't know why they've done this, maybe it's exam stress.

Lmao I lost all my friends a couple months ago when they started acting up and I thought it was just exam stress or something to that effect as well. It's fine though - tomorrow is my last day and Thursday is our leavers' assembly and I won't really have to see them again after that (unless they end up in the same sixth form as me, but even then I'll be making new friends) so it's all good. That kind of mindset has got me past all kinds of upset.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Same, I mean it's better to have more than one friends in case. I remember when I had a problem I moved from group to group, luckily I had more than one friends otherwise I wouldn't have been in this position today, where I realize who is really there for me. But then again I get those feelings where am just like my friends sometimes say hurtful stuff, but I ignore it because it's either them or no-one. They treat me really good, the best from nearly everyone in my year group.

I understand what you mean. Sometimes my friends make really snide comments about my marks, because I often get A*s. I do work for the grades though, and it's just a bit annoying when all the other friend groups support their friends, and mine just don't even care about me. They didn't even remember that I had my grade 5 theory a few months ago, even though I'd been really nervous for it.
It's kind of hard though, as people just always seem to get sick of their friends, and go off with someone else. It happens to most people in my year, and I just don't understand why people feel like they can only be good friends with one person.

That always happens. 99% of friendships do not last for a lifetime. Just focus on having the best friends you can for now until the friendships end. Always be ready to make more friends. Also, have more than one social group.

I do not understand either, but that is how most people are like. :redface:

Thanks :smile: We'll probably be split up anyway as I'm doing all academic A Levels, where as they're going to do more arty subjects.

This is probably a main reason why you ended up being left out.

There is a reason why we choose people with similar interests, and that is that we like to talk about them and feel like we can relate more to people who share our interests and hobbies. Since your friends are all arty types, of course you, the only non-artsy type, are going to be left out. I am not saying not to be friends with people who are not like you (being friends with different types of people helps a lot, after all), but your 'inner circle' should consist of people you are similar to so as to prevent what happened to you this year from occurring again.
Original post by Michiyo
That always happens. 99% of friendships do not last for a lifetime. Just focus on having the best friends you can for now until the friendships end. Always be ready to make more friends. Also, have more than one social group.

I do not understand either, but that is how most people are like. :redface:

This is probably a main reason why you ended up being left out.

There is a reason why we choose people with similar interests, and that is that we like to talk about them and feel like we can relate more to people who share our interests and hobbies. Since your friends are all arty types, of course you, the only non-artsy type, are going to be left out. I am not saying not to be friends with people who are not like you (being friends with different types of people helps a lot, after all), but your 'inner circle' should consist of people you are similar to so as to prevent what happened to you this year from occurring again.

Thanks for the advice :smile: For some reason, they don't seem to consider music being an art, as I play the flute but they don't ever ask me about it or show any interest.
The thing is, sometimes they're nice, but often they never want to do anything. I'm going to college soon, so hopefully I'll meet new friends there.

What you need is a pet hamster called Benedict !! Benedict could fit I your cheeky clutch and be the date to prom!
What more could a girl want xx
Thanks for the advice :smile: For some reason, they don't seem to consider music being an art, as I play the flute but they don't ever ask me about it or show any interest.

Maybe they can't connect with you on that topic since they don't play the flute.

You are more than welcome :hugs:

Flute is cool! :gah: I wish I could play it :daydreaming:

Here is some advice I gave an anon about a month ago about how to make friends and all that, in case you or someone else finds it useful :smile:

1. Approach people.
Instead of waiting for people to talk to you, talk to them.

2. Be cheerful and smile.
No one likes depressed people and people like to be with people who make them feel better, so adopt a jovial persona to attract more people. Negativity is a no-go.

3. Be relaxed.
It is very tempting to give in to stress and anxiety, but do not do it. Instead, stay level-headed and relaxed. Doing the opposite is likely to detriment people from talking to you since people's feelings can be influenced by others' feelings easily, and if you are nervous and feel out of place all the time, no one will want to speak with you.

4. Make jokes.
Even if you think you are not funny, there will always be people who think you are funny! I myself have never thought myself to be funny, but I have been told I am funny quiet a few times by others. The point is, just make jokes, without worrying if they are funny or not.

5. Be confident (or fake confidence).
Self-confidence is something we all struggle with. However, insecurity does not attract anyone but abusers, so mask any insecurities you might have. Instead, try to exude an air of confidence; if it helps, look up things like 'how to be/look confident' online and read up on that. Body language is useful here. Certain body positions indicate anxiety and insecurity while others are typically used by confident people. It helps more than you think; I myself use body language whenever I go out in order to avoid troublesome situations or to make everything easier/better for me. Even if you are not confident in reality, try to seem like it. Almost everyone lacks confidence, so they want someone confident around them.

6. Become involved in a variety of activities.
Whether the activities you choose are things like joining a student society, volunteering, extracurricular courses or anything else, doing more than just going to school, work (if applicable), and home instantly makes you more interesting and more likely to meet people that you will get along with. Most of the best friends I have had were not from school; we had an extracurricular course together instead. Besides, even if you do not make friends in these activities, they give you something to talk about and could even help your CV!

7. Realise that no one would mind having more good friends.
Very few people would turn down a potential friend if you get along well. I myself know that even if I had like 100 friends, if I hit it off really well with someone, I would not complain at all!

8. Know when to speak and when to listen.
This may sound very obvious, but it is important that you strike a good balance between talking about yourself and listening to the person talk about themselves. Most people like to talk about themselves more than to hear about others, so let them do just that when they try to do it!

9. Invite people to hang out.
Once you form an alright relationship with someone, propose that you hang out together. Most people wait to be asked since they do not know if you want to hang out with them either, so even if they refuse, ask them to signal that you would not mind going out with them sometime.

10. Think of cool things to do.
Everyone likes adventure, so think of cool things that you and your friends could do. For example, my college group of friends and I bonded over going to the forest during lunch and climbing trees (mostly watching a guy climb trees so high that you could not see him). This might not sound like much, but it sure made us feel like the coolest group in the school since we went out into the wilderness while our schoolmates just sat in the cafeteria. Other plans of ours involved camping and rock-climbing. Being 'the adventurer' and 'the person with the plan' is tough, but it is worth it for what you get in return: close friends. Eventually, your other friends will start coming up with cool ideas to do too, so you will not have to be the one coming up with the good ideas all the time.

11. Find a nice place that you can all go to if you have a quick break or when you hang out.
Some people (a few of which were my friends) in my school had 'Milkshake Wednesday'. On Wednesdays, they all finished college at the same hour, so they would often go to town and get a milkshake. This helped bring them together as friends rather than simple classmates.

12. Find common interests.
Like anime? Find people who like anime. Like rock music? Find people who like rock music. And so forth.

13. Catch on when someone does not want to be your friend.
Sometimes, no matter what you do, some people just do not want to be your friend. Move on and find other people.

14. Have more than one friend group.
Having a single friend group is a sure pitfall when the group breaks up for a reason or another.

15. First and foremost, work towards your happiness.
Do not end up being so obsessed with making friends that you forget about your own happiness and what makes you happy. Happy people are more desirable as friends anyway.

16. Keep in touch.
It is hard to maintain a relationship or friendship, but you have to do that in order to keep it alive so it does not fade away.

17. Do not try too hard.
People will KNOW if you are trying too hard. I once tried so hard to seem happy and cheerful that everyone called me out on it (it was not nice). Try, but not so hard that it is awkward.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Flute is cool! :gah: I wish I could play it :daydreaming:

Here is some advice I gave an anon about two months ago about how to make friends :smile:

1. Approach people.
Instead of waiting for people to talk to you, talk to them.

2. Be cheerful and smile.
No one likes depressed people and people like to be with people who make them feel better, so adopt a jovial persona to attract more people. Negativity is a no-go.

3. Be relaxed.
It is very tempting to give in to stress and anxiety, but do not do it. Instead, stay level-headed and relaxed. Doing the opposite is likely to detriment people from talking to you since people's feelings can be influenced by others' feelings easily, and if you are nervous and feel out of place all the time, no one will want to speak with you.

4. Make jokes.
Even if you think you are not funny, there will always be people who think you are funny! I myself have never thought myself to be funny, but I have been told I am funny quiet a few times by others. The point is, just make jokes, without worrying if they are funny or not.

5. Be confident (or fake confidence).
Self-confidence is something we all struggle with. However, insecurity does not attract anyone but abusers, so mask any insecurities you might have. Instead, try to exude an air of confidence; if it helps, look up things like 'how to be/look confident' online and read up on that. Body language is useful here. Certain body positions indicate anxiety and insecurity while others are typically used by confident people. It helps more than you think; I myself use body language whenever I go out in order to avoid troublesome situations or to make everything easier/better for me. Even if you are not confident in reality, try to seem like it. Almost everyone lacks confidence, so they want someone confident around them.

6. Become involved in a variety of activities.
Whether the activities you choose are things like joining a student society, volunteering, extracurricular courses or anything else, doing more than just going to school, work (if applicable), and home instantly makes you more interesting and more likely to meet people that you will get along with. Most of the best friends I have had were not from school; we had an extracurricular course together instead. Besides, even if you do not make friends in these activities, they give you something to talk about and could even help your CV!

7. Realise that no one would mind having more good friends.
Very few people would turn down a potential friend if you get along well. I myself know that even if I had like 100 friends, if I hit it off really well with someone, I would not complain at all!

8. Know when to speak and when to listen.
This may sound very obvious, but it is important that you strike a good balance between talking about yourself and listening to the person talk about themselves. Most people like to talk about themselves more than to hear about others, so let them do just that when they try to do it!

9. Invite people to hang out.
Once you form an alright relationship with someone, propose that you hang out together. Most people wait to be asked since they do not know if you want to hang out with them either, so even if they refuse, ask them to signal that you would not mind going out with them sometime.

10. Think of cool things to do.
Everyone likes adventure, so think of cool things that you and your friends could do. For example, my college group of friends and I bonded over going to the forest during lunch and climbing trees (mostly watching a guy climb trees so high that you could not see him). This might not sound like much, but it sure made us feel like the coolest group in the school since we went out into the wilderness while our schoolmates just sat in the cafeteria. Other plans of ours involved camping and rock-climbing. Being 'the adventurer' and 'the person with the plan' is tough, but it is worth it for what you get in return: close friends. Eventually, your other friends will start coming up with cool ideas to do too, so you will not have to be the one coming up with the good ideas all the time.

11. Find a nice place that you can all go to if you have a quick break or when you hang out.
Some people (a few of which were my friends) in my school had 'Milkshake Wednesday'. On Wednesdays, they all finished college at the same hour, so they would often go to town and get a milkshake. This helped bring them together as friends rather than simple classmates.

12. Find common interests.
Like anime? Find people who like anime. Like rock music? Find people who like rock music. And so forth.

13. Catch on when someone does not want to be your friend.
Sometimes, no matter what you do, some people just do not want to be your friend. Move on and find other people.

14. Have more than one friend group.
Having a single friend group is a sure pitfall when the group breaks up for a reason or another.

15. First and foremost, work towards your happiness.
Do not end up being so obsessed with making friends that you forget about your own happiness and what makes you happy. Happy people are more desirable as friends anyway.

16. Keep in touch.
It is hard to maintain a relationship or friendship, but you have to do that in order to keep it alive so it does not fade away.

17. Do not try too hard.
People will KNOW if you are trying too hard. I once tried so hard to seem happy and cheerful that everyone called me out on it (it was not nice). Try, but not so hard that it is awkward.

Thank you so much for the advice :smile: I'll try some of this advice when I go to college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending