The Student Room Group

Expired Passport as Proof of Age?

I'm travelling to London this weekend for an event and I went to my train
station to pre-book my train tickets. I'm 15 and turn 16 in 13 days and the person who served me allowed me to purchase child tickets however strongly advised me to bring ID on the 2 days incase im challenged by the train company. My Passport is expired however im wondering if I can still use it for proof of age.
If im not allowed, is there any other sorts of ID I can use in emergency?
I've also finished school (Y11)
Reply 1
Realistically, they can't challenge you on an u16 ticket, why would you have proof of age, not everyone has, or wants, to carry a passport.

It's better than the nothing most people have.
You should be able to, although it is not technically an "official" form of ID because it is outdate, it should be okay
Maybe check the website of the train company or something to see their official stance
The only other forms of ID i think you could use would a driving licence (if you have one but because of your age that seems unlikely) a bus pass with your age on it ( I used mine until I got my license) or my birth certificate
Original post by Tubbz
Realistically, they can't challenge you on an u16 ticket, why would you have proof of age, not everyone has, or wants, to carry a passport.

It's better than the nothing most people have.

Why dont you think they can challenge the OP on an under 16 ticket?
Original post by eddie_williams
I'm travelling to London this weekend for an event and I went to my train
station to pre-book my train tickets. I'm 15 and turn 16 in 13 days and the person who served me allowed me to purchase child tickets however strongly advised me to bring ID on the 2 days incase im challenged by the train company. My Passport is expired however im wondering if I can still use it for proof of age.
If im not allowed, is there any other sorts of ID I can use in emergency?
I've also finished school (Y11)

Birth certificate. Take passport just in case as said its better than nothing even though its expired. You are very likely to be asked on the train. If I was really concerned, then I might just go to the guard at the outset to show theres nothing to hide.

You could also ring customer services up at the train company to verify how to proceed.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Why dont you think they can challenge the OP on an under 16 ticket?

Unless you're obviously over the age of 16, most of the time they just don't bother.

Besides, if they do, you can just prove your age retrospectively. As long as you're not a complete tool about it, they're not going to throw you off the train.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending