The Student Room Group

Classical civilisation and Latin

I would like to study Classics as a degree, hopefully at Oxford, and therefore would like to know whether English Lit A Level or Classical Civilisation A Level would be better in combination with History and Latin. I am really interested in Classical worlds, but also like English literature. Thanks in advance for your views on which one is better.
Original post by Corgi42
I would like to study Classics as a degree, hopefully at Oxford, and therefore would like to know whether English Lit A Level or Classical Civilisation A Level would be better in combination with History and Latin. I am really interested in Classical worlds, but also like English literature. Thanks in advance for your views on which one is better.

Personally I think doing Classical Civilisation would be a better choice, as you cover classical literature during that therefore won't be missing out on the literature side. Classical Civilisation would also prove that you are interested in not only the language of the Romans but the culture as well. :smile:

I did Classics AS with History A Level and I think they go well together - it didn't seem to be as much of a large workload as History and English Lit was, but both had transferrable skills for the other subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Corgi42

Either is fine, but I would go for Classical Civilisation just because it is more relevant to your future degree. If you feel like you would do better in English Literature rather than Classical Civilisation, it would not be a huge loss if you went for that instead. If you want to keep your options open (which I doubt, since you already have a degree in mind), choose English Literature.

See this table - the only essential subject is Latin/Greek.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for replying, I will obviously talk to my teachers about it, but my parents worry about closing off too many options too quickly, would a law degree still be open with Latin, history, and classical civilisation?
A law degree would still be open if you did those! They are academic subjects with two essay based subjects. Nothing really closes off a law degree unless you take subjects with no transferrable skills.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Personally I think doing Classical Civilisation would be a better choice, as you cover classical literature during that therefore won't be missing out on the literature side. Classical Civilisation would also prove that you are interested in not only the language of the Romans but the culture as well. :smile:

I did Classics AS with History A Level and I think they go well together - it didn't seem to be as much of a large workload as History and English Lit was, but both had transferrable skills for the other subject.

Did you take the Roman history exam today?
Original post by Jimmyandrews1000
Did you take the Roman history exam today?

No, I'm in Year 12 and only did AS Classics

Quick Reply

Latest