The Student Room Group

Hands up who hasn't tried TSR's new app yet?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meany Pie
So other than notifications, does the new app add anything rather than just taking away?

Yes. The layout is much more clean and modern - I'm not a big fan of the colour scheme (blue throughout) which just makes it dark and drab but it's still a massive improvement from the old app.

PMs are the biggest and best change I reckon - they're now in an "instant messaging" layout (such as messenger or whatsapp) so you can scroll up to see the previous messages in your conversation.
Original post by Bezoar
Yes. The layout is much more clean and modern - I'm not a big fan of the colour scheme (blue throughout) which just makes it dark and drab but it's still a massive improvement from the old app.

PMs are the biggest and best change I reckon - they're now in an "instant messaging" layout (such as messenger or whatsapp) so you can scroll up to see the previous messages in your conversation.

:woo:

Now I can see all the creepy messages on one screen.
Original post by Meany Pie
:woo:

Now I can see all the creepy messages on one screen.

:lol: i feel ya. Fortunately I haven't had any of those on TSR
Reply 43
Original post by Captain Jack
We're in the final stages of testing a brand new app for TSR - it's everyone's last chance to have a say over how it works before launch!
Have you or haven't you tried it yet?

If not, please sign up here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/tsrbetaapp to be sent instructions (and win the chance to be sent one of loads of £10 Amazon vouchers just for trying it) :biggrin:

Sorry I’ve been using the app but haven’t given much feedback, my biggest issue is the resolution. I have an iPhone 7 and everything is just so fat and big and so much space is wasted.. on the main page for exam can’t you merge the user icon and username into the actual box? Make the title smaller, make the last post smaller, remove the unnecessary boarders and just compact things so the appearance is more clean and enjoyable. Also I think the ad should be on the bottom of the screen not the top, put it to the right of the + sign with an option to close it but have it reappear on each new page (annoying but I know you have to make your revenue to run the site somehow.)

Otherwise functionality wise ive not had any issues, just not a fan of the amount of screen space wasted
Original post by zayn008
x

iOS 11 Beta?
Reply 45
Original post by kiiten
The old app already has picture uploads? - i meant that sometimes it just doesnt work :smile:

Even on the website uploading more than one image is such a pain - i often have to just provide links :frown:
Reply 46
Original post by RoyalSheepy
iOS 11 Beta?

Yep haha, what gave that away?

I just downgraded though, my phone kept over heating, I'm gonna wait till like beta 5
Original post by 0to100
Soo...it's not fixed.

We haven't released it yet! 😃
Original post by zayn008
Yep haha, what gave that away?

I just downgraded though, my phone kept over heating, I'm gonna wait till like beta 5

The signal bars :lol: it's so buggy atm
Reply 49
The signal bars :lol: it's so buggy atm

It's strange how the first 2 betas ALWAYS have battery/overheating issues, theyre usually gone by beta 3 but you'd think Apple would iron it out before beta 1 since its pretty much expected to be a bug. I'm not a huge fan of it tbh, the CC is quite annoying and the whole concept of the notification centre being the lock screen just doesnt add up...
Original post by zayn008
It's strange how the first 2 betas ALWAYS have battery/overheating issues, theyre usually gone by beta 3 but you'd think Apple would iron it out before beta 1 since its pretty much expected to be a bug. I'm not a huge fan of it tbh, the CC is quite annoying and the whole concept of the notification centre being the lock screen just doesnt add up...

Yeah, the Control Centre looks really weird. I like how you can turn off Mobile data from there, but I just dislike the whole design. And I also hate how they've got rid of the signal dots :frown:
Reply 51
We're in the final stages of testing a brand new app for TSR - it's everyone's last chance to have a say over how it works before launch!

If not, please sign up here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/tsrbetaapp to be sent instructions (and win the chance to be sent one of loads of £10 Amazon vouchers just for trying it) :biggrin:

Whats the actual name of the app on apple store
Reply 52
Yeah, the Control Centre looks really weird. I like how you can turn off Mobile data from there, but I just dislike the whole design. And I also hate how they've got rid of the signal dots :frown:

Yeah i dont like how i have to enter a menu to control my music and light bulbs, it was easier before. Feel sorry for people without force touch.
The mobile data thing was long overdue, used to love it when i had a jailbreak.
Tbh i much before the bars over dots :tongue:
Original post by zayn008
Yeah i dont like how i have to enter a menu to control my music and light bulbs, it was easier before. Feel sorry for people without force touch.
The mobile data thing was long overdue, used to love it when i had a jailbreak.
Tbh i much before the bars over dots :tongue:

Jailbreaking brought everything though :tongue: RIP my iPhone 5S - died from overheating when I jailbroke :lol:. Nooo, the dots are amazing though!
Tried it out... Can't say I prefer it over Safari.

I've tested it but for now I'll have to use the mobile site until being able to edit posts becomes possible. The new app is a good improvement over the old one though, notifications are working (and sometimes faster than the desktop notifications).

I filled the survey but never received any instruction or an email :biggrin:
I :heart: the new PM style :biggrin:

Awesome! We do too!
Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin
Tried it out... Can't say I prefer it over Safari.

How come, is it mainly functions like rep? We're working on the new app now so as much info as poss will help us make it better :biggrin:
How come, is it mainly functions like rep? We're working on the new app now so as much info as poss will help us make it better :biggrin:

For me, it's the aesthetics, if anything.

Quick Reply

Latest