38 Mark Essay- what to include and how to structure? Watch

Mo_Barker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,
The question I've been set is "The economic impacts of earthquake activity are always greater than the social impacts". Discuss. [38]
This is my first 38 marker and so I'm not entirely sure how to go about answering it, and due to illness I missed some case study information (we did the Kobe 1995, Christchruch 2011, Haiti 2010, Nepal 2015, Bam 2003, and Sichuan 2008 earthquakes).
I was hoping to compare a lower income earthquake to a higher income one, and then discuss the difficulties in putting a price on life. Other than that I'm stumped.
Thanks for any help!
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mo_Barker)
Hi all,
The question I've been set is "The economic impacts of earthquake activity are always greater than the social impacts". Discuss. [38]
This is my first 38 marker and so I'm not entirely sure how to go about answering it, and due to illness I missed some case study information (we did the Kobe 1995, Christchruch 2011, Haiti 2010, Nepal 2015, Bam 2003, and Sichuan 2008 earthquakes).
I was hoping to compare a lower income earthquake to a higher income one, and then discuss the difficulties in putting a price on life. Other than that I'm stumped.
Thanks for any help!

Economic - buildings, insurance costs, loss of business, etc. you can look at these and compare a low-income country to a high-income country with similar earthquake magnitudes. You can discuss how earthquakes with a higher economic impact can also have a high social impact, because people might become homeless losing their homes, losing their jobs, but usually higher-income countries have insurance in place so lots of people will be able to claim back what they have lost in terms of materialism, thus decreasing the negative social impacts.

Social - unemployment, loss of life, homelessness. Poor infrastructure in lower-income countries can mean more deaths, so you could look at an earthquake which had a lot of fatalities, such as Haiti, compared to a higher income country with better infrastructure, less deaths, but higher economic impact (potentially?)

You can discuss the fact that social and economic impacts can be closely linked and it is, therefore, unfair to say one is greater than the other in some cases.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%