No idea which option to take - dilemma.

Watch
InvictusXI
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#1
I live close to a boundary between two police forces. One is a smaller one that spreads away from where I live, the other is a huge force with a massive budget. I'm interested in applying to join the Police.
The smaller force which is nearby has a message saying they're opening recruiting on the 13th July. Exciting I know. The larger one just says they expect to open recruiting in 2017 and for it to continue into 2018. (The last application process closed in November due to volume of applicants)

Naturally I'm drawn to the smaller one since it's only a couple of weeks wait.

Here comes the dilemma. If you're unsuccessful, you have to wait 6 months before applying again to any force. This smaller one says they prefer applicants live in the force area (I don't) but they could make exceptions depending on distance.
Also, due to the difference in size between the forces it's natural to think that the smaller one will have less jobs available than the larger one.

So, do I risk applying for it, and I could even be rejected before I get past the sift, and potentially then the 6 months will take me beyond the larger forces recruitment, or wait a few months in a job I don't really enjoy any more in the hope that the risk pays off?
0
reply
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#2
Report 3 years ago
#2
(Original post by InvictusXI)
I live close to a boundary between two police forces. One is a smaller one that spreads away from where I live, the other is a huge force with a massive budget. I'm interested in applying to join the Police.
The smaller force which is nearby has a message saying they're opening recruiting on the 13th July. Exciting I know. The larger one just says they expect to open recruiting in 2017 and for it to continue into 2018. (The last application process closed in November due to volume of applicants)

Naturally I'm drawn to the smaller one since it's only a couple of weeks wait.

Here comes the dilemma. If you're unsuccessful, you have to wait 6 months before applying again to any force. This smaller one says they prefer applicants live in the force area (I don't) but they could make exceptions depending on distance.
Also, due to the difference in size between the forces it's natural to think that the smaller one will have less jobs available than the larger one.

So, do I risk applying for it, and I could even be rejected before I get past the sift, and potentially then the 6 months will take me beyond the larger forces recruitment, or wait a few months in a job I don't really enjoy any more in the hope that the risk pays off?
I'd wait for the larger one. They're more likely to be recruiting a few people and have better training in place due to funding.
0
reply
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#3
Report 3 years ago
#3
How far is the smaller one? If you can't wait, apply for this one. I do think that the larger one will be more useful for you as there will be more work and a larger budget to use for training.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads

View All
Latest
My Feed