jinxedd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I do A-level Art but i regret that i didn't do maths or physics. At GCSE I got an A in maths and B in physics, though I didn't pick them for A-level. Is it still possible to enter onto an Architecture course in uni?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jinxedd)
I do A-level Art but i regret that i didn't do maths or physics. At GCSE I got an A in maths and B in physics, though I didn't pick them for A-level. Is it still possible to enter onto an Architecture course in uni?
Depends on the individual university's requirements.

Many (most?) are fine.
e.g. UCL http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...y-requirements
Oxford Brookes https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...ion-six-marker

But Bath requires Maths or Physics.

So just check out each university you are interested in.
Farchitect
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes.
freya24
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jinxedd)
Sir Richard Rogers gained entrance to the AA Architecture School in London without any A-levels or even a portfolio to prove he could draw. His famous uncle architect sorted it for him as he was a visiting lecturer there.

My advice is don't touch this course with a barge pole if you are intelligent, logical and need to earn a living. Architecture schools will tell you anything to fill places.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by freya24)
Sir Richard Rogers gained entrance to the AA Architecture School in London without any A-levels or even a portfolio to prove he could draw. His famous uncle architect sorted it for him as he was a visiting lecturer there.
In 1954, although he did have an art school foundation course behind him, so yeah, he probably could draw... and then his MArch at Yale - or did he just waltz into that too?

And he seems to have ended up a reasonably successful architect despite no A-levels.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most architecture courses only require A-level Art (Art Foundation optional, but sometimes recommended). Many prefer a mixture of arts and sciences, but I doubt you'll really need anything beyond GCSE Maths/Science given that, as I understand, most of the mechanics involved are algebra based or graphically analysed only - they have Civil and Structural Engineers to solve the detailed problems.
Farchitect
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Entry to the MArch is gained on your marks awarded at the end of the first degree which must have been good because he was well liked. His girlfriend Geogie also helped him by doing drawings for him which he submitted as his own.

I don't like to pick on Richard too much though because he seems a decent enough guy (I read his biography by Bryan Appleyard). My point is that academic intelligence and logic is not needed to become a buiding designer. Yet the architecture schools peddle a very different story [mod edit: please don't keep promoting external blogs]
I think you should pick on Richard Rogers some more; he's an over-privileged sanctimonious hypocrite who designs ugly buildings.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Entry to the MArch is gained on your marks awarded at the end of the first degree which must have been good because he was well liked. His girlfriend Geogie also helped him by doing drawings for him which he submitted as his own.

I don't like to pick on Richard too much though because he seems a decent enough guy (I read his biography by Bryan Appleyard). My point is that academic intelligence and logic is not needed to become a buiding designer. Yet the architecture schools peddle a very different story [mod edit: please don't keep promoting external blogs]
Architecture is about ideas, not drawing ability.

(BTW, please don't keep promoting your blog, especially as it seems to be mostly about driving sales for your books. It's against TSR rules.)
freya24
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Farchitect)
I think you should pick on Richard Rogers some more; he's an over-privileged sanctimonious hypocrite who designs ugly buildings.
The attitude you describe is rife amongst dim tutors in architecture schools who enjoy wielding power over their innocent victims, I mean students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (366)
84.33%
No (68)
15.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed