The Student Room Group

How much does university (Cambridge) actually cost?

I live in Northern Ireland and I really want to go to Cambridge, but the cost of studying outside NI is really scary. I'm trying to total everything up and research bursaries and loans and things, but what do I actually need to be paying for while I'm at uni?

Fees, accommodation, food, books? What am I missing? How much does it all cost?

My mum keeps talking about how she'll have to get a new job to pay for my uni but I really don't want her to have to do that. Can I survive on my own on bursaries?
Original post by rflxvvrbs
I live in Northern Ireland and I really want to go to Cambridge, but the cost of studying outside NI is really scary. I'm trying to total everything up and research bursaries and loans and things, but what do I actually need to be paying for while I'm at uni?

My mum keeps talking about how she'll have to get a new job to pay for my uni but I really don't want her to have to do that. Can I survive on my own on bursaries?

Its a hard one tbh, one thing i will note is that student loans are based on your parents wage, so her getting a job may effect that. But dont listen to my advice too seriously as im only in year 12 lol
Reply 2

Cambridge is actually cheaper than most English universities. For example, the terms are short so accomodation is good value. You also have guaranteed college rooms for the duration of your course, unlike other universities which only guarantee it for a year and then you have to rent in the private sector (usually having to take a longer lease and therefore a higher cost).

Here's Cambridge's own cost of living guide:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-finance/living-costs

The libraries (plural - you have college, departmental and university libraries) are excellent so you don't need to buy books.

SFNI gives you a loan doesn't it?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/financial-support/financial-support-students-northern-ireland

And Cambridge has a pretty generous bursary if you need it (and qualify for it)
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-finance/financial-support/cambridge-financial-support

Which course are you considering?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury

Which course are you considering?

Thank you so much!!! I'm considering HSPS or MML (Spanish & ab initio Italian)
Reply 4
Thank you so much!!! I'm considering HSPS or MML (Spanish & ab initio Italian)

No problem!

I suggest you join the Cambridge 2018 thread. I'll edit in a link asap... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending