Getting a 2:2 from a top 6 University Watch

nalchik_96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone, just finished my second year and only got a relatively low 2:2, which is very disheartening. I was just wondering if a 2:2 from a top 6 university is worthless in terms of apply for and being accepted onto graduate schemes (if i do not manage to get a 2:1 next year), or do I still have a chance in life...
jhgjhgg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Grad schemes have a 2:1 filter, regardless from where you are from. There are some exceptions like the NHS etc. So the first question these grad schemes ask, "do you have a 2:1 at least", if you answer "no", your application is thrown out straight away.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You did manage to get a degree, so that is an achievement - don't be disheartened. You can still get a job with a 2:2, although you may find it harder. As the above poster says, some online applications for the big grad schemes will automatically filter you out if you haven't achieved at least a 2:1. It is worth researching what area you wanted to work in. Some grad schemes do accept 2:2s as well. Another way is to apply for entry level jobs or non-graduate roles and then work your way up. Using this way means they won't judge you on your degree grade but rather your whole application (qualities, skills, experience).
Alana.S2017
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was in your position a few months ago, I just graduated with a 2:2 - that being said one of my friends went from a 2:2 to a 1:1 between second and third year so all I can tell you is WORK HARD. I wish I did, as it made the job hunt slightly a struggle but know that this time is crucial and what you do with it speaks volumes. Also note that 80% of jobs are NOT advertised, so you can create a vacancy for yourself if you are willing to put in the work.

I do not know what career path you want to go down, but amass some sort of practical knowledge in that field to make up for a lack of experience (if this is the case) WHILE progressing with your job hunt. If you are changing career paths do a coursera/edX online course. And create a SOLID cv through your university career service or a friend/family member who has it together, and get this reviewed by as many people as you possibly can.

You also need to a build a network once you have your career goal in mind, set up a LinkedIn and use the search function to connect with alumni from your university that are in a position (masters, grad job, etc.) that you are eyeing and drop them a message. Find as many people as you can that you are genuinely willing to speak to and learn from, you never know what doors these can open. They can even refer you in applications if you get on well.

Make a profile on more progressive career search apps and websites such as Debut (app) and Magnet.me - engage with the recruiters there.

Please ignore what some people (not on this thread, but on the TSR in general) say about graduate schemes being out of reach for you. I have received offers from some incredible companies after graduation with a shamefully low 2:2. Here are some Graduate Schemes that accept 2:2 degrees: EY, Lloyds Insurance, Lloyds Bank, Wellcome Trust (multiple streams), Civil Service Fast Stream, Bloomberg, Google, numerous London based start-ups (Talentpool is a great platform), Unilever, Enterprise Rent-a-car, Edelman, Network Rail
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
By the way, "top 6" is such a bizarre expression. What you are basically saying is "my uni is the 6th".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.12%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.64%
No- I want it (90)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (23)
6.97%

Watched Threads