The Student Room Group

Hating 6th Form and Being Stressed

Hi!! I'm currently coming to the end of my first year of 6th form and to say I hate it is an understatement. I only like 1 of my 3 subjects, the one I like is graphics and the two I hate are media and photography. My attendance is starting to slip so low that my form tutor sent an email to my mum regarding why I'm not turning up to tutor and only being in school 2.5/5 days last week. I get stressed out really easily which in turn makes me feel so ill. I'm also just getting tireder each day no matter how early I sleep, I'm just so fatigued!!

I have no doubt my tutor will want to speak to me tomorrow but I don't want to say 'oh I hate 6th form and most of the people in it and I hate all my lessons besides one. I also get stressed over the littlest things which makes me ill which is also why I don't come into school'. I have no idea what to do and I'm so stressed out. I want to go to university but I can't do that unless I get my qualifications... What should I do?!
Original post by chloe_w21
Hi!! I'm currently coming to the end of my first year of 6th form and to say I hate it is an understatement. I only like 1 of my 3 subjects, the one I like is graphics and the two I hate are media and photography. My attendance is starting to slip so low that my form tutor sent an email to my mum regarding why I'm not turning up to tutor and only being in school 2.5/5 days last week. I get stressed out really easily which in turn makes me feel so ill. I'm also just getting tireder each day no matter how early I sleep, I'm just so fatigued!!

I have no doubt my tutor will want to speak to me tomorrow but I don't want to say 'oh I hate 6th form and most of the people in it and I hate all my lessons besides one. I also get stressed over the littlest things which makes me ill which is also why I don't come into school'. I have no idea what to do and I'm so stressed out. I want to go to university but I can't do that unless I get my qualifications... What should I do?!

If you dont like two of your subjects then perhaps it'd be best to consider a fresh start? what is it you want to study at university?
Why do you hate the other two? Is it because of the teachers?

If you really hate it, not much point continuing and might be worth starting year again if you know what you want to do- esp. if you don't like people in your year.
You need to be honest with your tutor. As hard as it may be now, you've still got a potential of two more years in full-time college education. It's a lot better to address the problems you're having now with lots of time ahead of you before you go to university, than to suffer through it and not get the grades you deserve because of how you feel about sixth form.

It's much better to get everything sorted now, so if I were you, I'd speak to your tutor and explain how you feel. They might be able to arrange some sort of compromise or solution.

Good luck!

Wow, I did A-level graphic design too and I loved it. Good luck doing all the coursework if you need any help such as what type of coursework deadlines will come up just ask.

I hated 6th form as well but graphic design and maths kept me sane. Chemistry can go die. Go to the lessons and don't miss anymore. I would revise a lot and try to get through it. Go to clubs, meetings and societies to maybe feel better and make some more friends while your at it.

From what you're saying you should quit Sixth Form. If you hate it and barely come there isn't really a point in continuing.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
If you dont like two of your subjects then perhaps it'd be best to consider a fresh start? what is it you want to study at university?

I want to study creative advertising but to get on the course I need to study media and a design subject... It's just a never ending circle of needing to study the subjects I'm taking. I go to a small 6th form (theres only 40 of us, or 80 in total because we're split over 2 schools) so theres not much choice in subjects to start over and we're in the middle of nowhere so I can't exactly get anywhere else
Reply 7
Original post by thelegend99
Why do you hate the other two? Is it because of the teachers?

If you really hate it, not much point continuing and might be worth starting year again if you know what you want to do- esp. if you don't like people in your year.

It's mostly because of the teachers but my media teacher is also my tutor... I would start over but I don't like the year below at all and I go to such a tiny school that our 6th form is split over 2 schools and theres only 60-80 of us tops!
Reply 8
Original post by poeticwhirlwind
You need to be honest with your tutor. As hard as it may be now, you've still got a potential of two more years in full-time college education. It's a lot better to address the problems you're having now with lots of time ahead of you before you go to university, than to suffer through it and not get the grades you deserve because of how you feel about sixth form.

It's much better to get everything sorted now, so if I were you, I'd speak to your tutor and explain how you feel. They might be able to arrange some sort of compromise or solution.

Good luck!

I probably should be honest with my tutor but I'm such an introverted and quiet student, I get embarrassed and anxious when I ask for help! I don't think I'll see him tomorrow because I'm at the other 6th form (ours is split over 2 schools) and I have home study on Thursday but I have a lesson with him on Friday so I'll try talk to him then. Thank you!!
Your fatigue and stress might be health related
Reply 10
Original post by monkeyman0121
Wow, I did A-level graphic design too and I loved it. Good luck doing all the coursework if you need any help such as what type of coursework deadlines will come up just ask.

I hated 6th form as well but graphic design and maths kept me sane. Chemistry can go die. Go to the lessons and don't miss anymore. I would revise a lot and try to get through it. Go to clubs, meetings and societies to maybe feel better and make some more friends while your at it.

Graphics is the only thing that motivates me most of the time to even turn up to school, it helps me stay sane too!
I do turn up to lessons most of the time but I get stressed over the tiniest things and then that makes me feel ill which is why my attendance is getting so bad now... it was fine up until March which was when deadlines started

I would go to clubs etc. but my school is so small they only have clubs for the main school & all the people in 6th form are people I've been with since year 7, anyone I'm sorta friends with now are the only friends I'm getting in 6th form lol but thanks for the advice anyway!!
I want to study creative advertising but to get on the course I need to study media and a design subject... It's just a never ending circle of needing to study the subjects I'm taking. I go to a small 6th form (theres only 40 of us, or 80 in total because we're split over 2 schools) so theres not much choice in subjects to start over and we're in the middle of nowhere so I can't exactly get anywhere else

From what i can see as long as you do one design related subject you'd still have options degree wise, if there's nowhere else local you could perhaps self study subjects that you would actually enjoy?
Graphics is the only thing that motivates me most of the time to even turn up to school, it helps me stay sane too!
I do turn up to lessons most of the time but I get stressed over the tiniest things and then that makes me feel ill which is why my attendance is getting so bad now... it was fine up until March which was when deadlines started

I would go to clubs etc. but my school is so small they only have clubs for the main school & all the people in 6th form are people I've been with since year 7, anyone I'm sorta friends with now are the only friends I'm getting in 6th form lol but thanks for the advice anyway!!

All I can say is get used to tight deadlines because the last unit in Graphic Design is like a 3 month unit that has as much stuff to do as the last 2 units. (The digital boards, typography boards, moodboards, misc boards and more. Also you will maybe have 15 hours to do 2 final pieces and a development board where you write about how you made them and things you could have done that wouldn't have worked.)
It's mostly because of the teachers but my media teacher is also my tutor... I would start over but I don't like the year below at all and I go to such a tiny school that our 6th form is split over 2 schools and theres only 60-80 of us tops!

Oh. Have you perhaps considered other options like different school/college?

Quick Reply

Latest