The Student Room Group

How difficult is A-level maths.

I do like maths. My maths teacher missed most of year 11 so I had to work independently because supply teachers were no use.
I think I'm too short off a 7 (A) however I think I am working at a 6 (B/low A)
Must you be very smart (A-A*)
And would I really struggle if I'm currently working at a B?

I am not lazy. If I have a lively teacher, I would stay devoted and even get tutoring if worse comes to worse.
Reply 1
I got an A in igcse maths and did maths at A level and further maths at AS.I don't know how the new gcses compare with the old ones but A levels are a serious step up from gcses so you'll probably find them difficult to start no matter how well you did at gcse. However, if you're finding some of the higher level maths hard at the moment you're likely to struggle at A level. I wouldn't rely too much on your teacher either, your grade really depends on how much work you are willing to do yourself. In my case I had to teach myself a lot of the maths content because my teachers weren't the best. You also have to bear in mind that you're going to have to pick modules at A level (mechanics, statistics, decision) that are very different to anything you'll have done at gcse. But if you really like maths and are willing to put in the effort I would say to go for it :smile:
Reply 2
It is one of the hardest A Levels.

Source: I got an A* at GCSE, predicted a mere C at A level. Did my last maths exam today, and boy it is really hard and unforgiving :smile:
I got an A* in maths in the old spec when we still had letter grading system 2 years ago. I have finished my A-level maths now. I can say it is quite easy if you are willing to put effort in. I revised 2 days before each of these exams only by doing 2 or 3 past papers. I averaged A's in all these past papers but only time will tell how well it went in the real exam. Also the real exams were way harder, I think they are making it more difficult now but don't worry it should still be fine if you put work into it.Good Luck!
Original post by STUDENTGCSE2017
I do like maths. My maths teacher missed most of year 11 so I had to work independently because supply teachers were no use.

I am not lazy. If I have a lively teacher, I would stay devoted and even get tutoring if worse comes to worse.

As long you do loads of past papers (try and finish everything before the month of the exam) and use examsolutions.net to revise from, you'll do well dude!
Original post by julesw
I got an A in igcse maths and did maths at A level and further maths at AS.I don't know how the new gcses compare with the old ones but A levels are a serious step up from gcses so you'll probably find them difficult to start no matter how well you did at gcse. However, if you're finding some of the higher level maths hard at the moment you're likely to struggle at A level. I wouldn't rely too much on your teacher either, your grade really depends on how much work you are willing to do yourself. In my case I had to teach myself a lot of the maths content because my teachers weren't the best. You also have to bear in mind that you're going to have to pick modules at A level (mechanics, statistics, decision) that are very different to anything you'll have done at gcse. But if you really like maths and are willing to put in the effort I would say to go for it :smile:

reforms
... I'm pretty sure decision has been left
Original post by Hopson97
It is one of the hardest A Levels.

Source: I got an A* at GCSE, predicted a mere C at A level. Did my last maths exam today, and boy it is really hard and unforgiving :smile:

You hit an plateau and assume it's difficult
Reply 7
Original post by Maths is Life
You hit an plateau and assume it's difficult

What do you mean?

Got a B in older, easier GCSEs. Got an A in A-level maths. Make of that what you will.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Swissblade
Got a B in older, easier GCSEs. Got an A in A-level maths. Make of that what you will.

I relate to this guy, A in GCSE and B in iGCSE, now boasting a decent average could have been better
A-level maths has got slightly harder because a couple of topics in old a-level where placed into gcse. Basically if you are okay with the harder, more algebraic questions nearer the end of the paper then you should be able to cope with a-level maths. You really do need to dramatically improve your algebra from gcse though as basic skills from gcse are required to even access any marks in a-level maths a lot of the time. The fact your course will be linear (exams sat at the end) will give you a lot of time to really firm up those skills and step up to the level required for a-level. The old papers will still be a useful resource simply for learning the standard methods and approaches. If you do enough practice for a-level you will do well however if you don't do all your maths homework and lots of the past papers- you probably wont.

I got an A at GCSE, I generally found GCSE maths easy. As others have said it is hard at Alevel.

Its taken me longer and a few resits to get the grades I wanted but I think thats the way I learn, I just needed more time.

My best advice is to do every question in the text books given and then do all solomon papers available as they helped so much. Solomon papers are harder than past papers but prepare you for the exam better.

If you want to do maths I say go for it, as with all Alevels it will be a challenge if you don't keep up as you go along/practice the techniques. If you find an area hard then practice everything in that area till it makes sense to you.

....didn't mean to write that much, ahaha

(I did my alevels 2 years ago and just retook my C1,C3 and C4 papers this year to improve my grade, i was self teaching myself maths and taking them externally)
Reply 12
Original post by Maths is Life
reforms
... I'm pretty sure decision has been left

Oh sorry I wasn't aware of that. Shame really, decision is arguably the easiest module

Quick Reply

Latest