Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Pros and cons please guys!
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dentists are the biggest layabouts on the planet - and they get paid well for it. Nuff said.
Evolin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
id like to know to actually.

dentist you are specifically based on teeth, and well other parts above the neck if you study further, and doctors, well you look at the majority of a human body, not just gums and teeth.

is the course length the same?
nabzp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Course length is the same (5yrs) but then doctors have to work there way up whilst dentists need only do one year vocational training.

Dentists do have to know about the body - how to treat a patient with severe asthma or epilepsy or anphylatic (sp?) shock etc.
hihihihi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There are some overlaps in the science, as well as the need to communicate and empathise well.

Dentists get paid more, quicker. Doctors have longer working hours, are on call but have more diverse career options.
achieb
Report 14 years ago
if you're not completely passionate about medicine, go for dentistry. being a doctor for the nhs is a thankless job and not something that i'd ever consider. i think that it's so stupid that 17-year olds have to make a decision about doing something like medicine for the rest of their life without knowing what it is REALLY like!
Sahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by achieb)
if you're not completely passionate about medicine, go for dentistry. being a doctor for the nhs is a thankless job and not something that i'd ever consider. i think that it's so stupid that 17-year olds have to make a decision about doing something like medicine for the rest of their life without knowing what it is REALLY like!
You'd have to be exceptionally passionate about either, after all you're entering into life-long learning either way.. and it's comments like that which gain dentists the reputation of being "failed medics", it's so irritating!! Both are highly respectable professions, and neither is better than the other.

In my eyes the major difference is that at the end of the day as a dentist you're a self-employed person.. and it's all about applying your theory in a practical situation, unlike a doctor. It's far FAR more hands-on.

And incidentally, it's probably best to get some work experience and find out what suits you!
Sahir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
Dentists are the biggest layabouts on the planet - and they get paid well for it. Nuff said.
*cough* bitter *cough*
Stanley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
of course doctors get respected a lot more than dentists... and doctors get much greater responsibility

there might an excess of dentist and a shortage of doctors later on...
nabzp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Stanley)
You never know, that may well happen, cos of all the hype about dentist shortage at the moment, many people may consider this career path and then after 10 years or so there might be too many...
Jack Schitt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nabzp)
You never know, that may well happen, cos of all the hype about dentist shortage at the moment, many people may consider this career path and then after 10 years or so there might be too many...
Unlikely. It is NHS dentists that the UK is short of with too many practicing privately. And besides it takes 6 years to become a practicing dentist so an increase in applicants or dentistry places won't really do much yet?

We will always need doctors and dentists- that's one thing about these professions is that they will always get a job.
Sahir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Stanley)
of course doctors get respected a lot more than dentists... and doctors get much greater responsibility

Since when do doctors get a lot more responsibility?! Bear in mind that dentists still need to know human anatomy and physiology in great detail - they might not need to diagnose a problem with .. i dunno.. your legs or something.. but ultimately, a dentist - capable of anaesthetising you and prodding in your gob with all manner of sharp metal implements .. that's a hell of a lot of responsibility. Actually nabz mentioned this above, sorry to steal your point
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sahir)
Since when do doctors get a lot more responsibility?!
even though a lot of doctor/dentist responsibilities (such as confidentiality, ethics) overlap, doctors face many more life-changing decisions in terms of patient care.

i think, as someone said earlier, you need to have a passion for either medicine or dentistry and not just choose one because you don't like the other. the only time i ever hear dentists being referred to as 'failed medics' is at medics/dentists pub crawls, but that's all in good jest (similar to the vets with their "we had 3 A offers" pubcrawl banter!).
ouragon
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thanks for your opinions
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads