UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Watch

erinkelly22x
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My UKCAT is in 2 weeks and I'm still struggling with the QR section, does anybody have any tips on how to improve?
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Remember that time is everything. You most likely won't have enough time to do all the questions so learn how to identify the most time-consuming ones - there can be pretty big differences. I found that some of them are just plain harder than others, some involve super complex tables that take you ages to interpret, some involve simple but long calculation chains you just don't have time for. Flag and guess these, complete the easier ones and go back to them in the end if you still have time.

Try to use the calculator as little as possible, unless you're dreadful in mental maths it will just slow you down. Doing some mental maths practise during the time you have left might be useful. But you will most likely end up using the calculator for some calculations; learn how to use the number pad for this to make yourself faster.

Pay attention to the types of mistakes you often make while practising and make sure to improve on those things.

Try not to worry. I felt like I was going to do badly in QR too but it ended up being my best score. I think QR is the section where the differences between the practise questions you can find online etc and the actual test questions are the biggest - most people seem to find the actual test way easier than expected.
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by erinkelly22x)
My UKCAT is in 2 weeks and I'm still struggling with the QR section, does anybody have any tips on how to improve?
Hi there!

We've actually recently just published a blog on this, UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips: Top 3 Strategies.

One of the best things to do for the Quantitative Reasoning section is practice online - it will give you chance to get used to the online calculator, and this way you'll improve your speed too! You'll also be able to familiarise yourself with different question types too.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
6med
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey :-) The time pressure in QR is brutal and many students find this section really difficult. I think probably our top tip is to triage the questions utilising a guess flag and skip method.

If you aim to spend about 30 seconds on each question, that will leave you with 6 minutes at the end to go over and review any flagged questions. Before even attempting a question, quickly assess it for how long it will take you, if it is clearly going to take more than 30 seconds you should guess flag and skip it and move on. In this way you artificially engineer the test so that you finish the section and don't leave any answers blank (which would be a tragedy as there is no negative marking in QR!), you secure the easy marks first, and you push the harder questions to the end of the section. It is really important as well that you incorporate realistic time pressure into your preparation so that you actually practice guessing flagging and skipping before the test itself.

In addition, really work on your basic mental maths (addition/subtraction, converting fractions to decimals etc) so that you rely on the on-screen calculator as little as possible; it is such a cumbersome tool!

Also, do not be afraid to be quite audacious in estimating. Remember, it is multiple choice examination, the answer is already on the page and rarely needs to be calculated precisely. This is especially true if the answer options are very 'far apart,' you can be super liberal with your estimating.

Hope that helps as some general tips, feel free to ask anything more specific and check out our online question bank UKCAT Ninja if you want some more practice questions :-)

https://ukcat.ninja/

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by erinkelly22x)
Hey there,

Which sections do you find hard in Quantitative Reasoning? I myself am a 1-to-1 tutor and scored 900 in QR, so let me know if you would like help (www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring)

For QR, break it down and go through topic by topic:

Units in the UKCAT - look closely at how to do unit conversions, and be careful not to be tricked out by them.

Weighted Means - this is a technique often missed by students, and it comes up from time to time.

Area Questions - commonplace in the UKCAT.

Quantitative Reasoning Formulae - learn the formula for areas and volumes. Normally they give them to you but sometimes they don't.

• Ratios - ratios in terms of proportions (e.g. ingredients for a cake), or in terms of map scales.

• Adapting to Test Conditions - consider the UKCAT calculator online • Fractions - another common topic

• Interest Questions - know the difference between simple and compound interest, and how to calculate

• Tax Questions - make sure you know how tax brackets work. There is a common example that tricks people out on an official UKCAT mock.

• Venn Diagrams - these come up more commonly in Decision Making, but can in QR too.

• Percentages - almost guaranteed on test day! There are 3 types of questions (working out old value, working out new value, working out % change)

Speed, Distance, Time - not too difficult but very common so worth proper revision

Those are the main topics to work on! If you want some free tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xdzTyBnkP5xEt3)

Good luck!

Kunal
Medic Mind
http://www.medicmind.co.uk/ukcat-mentoring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%