Nimsy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to get into an accountancy apprenticeship, but before when I have applied for apprenticeships, I am always unsuccessful. When I have gone to interviews in the past, I feel like they want me to have prior experience & knowledge about the role of being an accountant. Do you really need experience or a qualification to become an apprentice? I figured as they give you training and not pay you much, it is easier to get into than an actual job, and I know the support they would give me would benefit me so much and plus I'd learn a lot. I also don't have a Grade C in both Maths & English, does that lower my chances of getting into an apprenticeship? I have Functional Skills qualifications but only Level 1 in Maths & Level 2 in English. These days its really hard to get into one, especially at my age because I'm a bit older (21 years old), and they have to pay the government 50% to employ me. Any tips or advice you could give me to up my chances of getting into an accountancy apprenticeship would really help me and I really appreciate any help I get. Thanks for reading
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nimsy)
I want to get into an accountancy apprenticeship, but before when I have applied for apprenticeships, I am always unsuccessful. When I have gone to interviews in the past, I feel like they want me to have prior experience & knowledge about the role of being an accountant. Do you really need experience or a qualification to become an apprentice? I figured as they give you training and not pay you much, it is easier to get into than an actual job, and I know the support they would give me would benefit me so much and plus I'd learn a lot.
You do not need 'experience' to become an apprentice, however, you do need qualifications depending on what type of apprenticeship you would like to do and also depends on the employer.
Intermediate Apprenticeship (This is equivalent to 5 'good' GCSE passes) - Usually doesn't require any qualifications
Advance Apprenticeship (This is equivalent to 2 A-level passes) - In order to do this, you would need 5 GCSE passes at grades A*-C or have completed an intermediate apprenticeship
Higher Apprenticeship (This is a foundation degree) - Usually requires 2 A-level passes/equivalent or have completed an advanced apprenticeship
Degree Apprenticeship (This is a Full degree) - Usually requires 3 A-level passes or equivalent

You need to include valid reasons in your application as to why you want to do the apprenticeship in accountancy in the first place and actually demonstrate your interest - there is no point applying for something if you can't show a genuine interest in accountancy.

I also don't have a Grade C in both Maths & English, does that lower my chances of getting into an apprenticeship? I have Functional Skills qualifications but only Level 1 in Maths & Level 2 in English. These days its really hard to get into one, especially at my age because I'm a bit older (21 years old), and they have to pay the government 50% to employ me. Any tips or advice you could give me to up my chances of getting into an accountancy apprenticeship would really help me and I really appreciate any help I get. Thanks for reading
Again it depends on the type of apprenticeship and also the employer itself on what specific qualifications they are asking for. However, if you're looking for an apprenticeship in accountancy, you will NEED a good GCSE Maths and English grade. Most accountancy apprenticeships ask for a Grade B or higher in GCSE Maths, so if you're not good at maths then it is probably not the best route to go down.

Additionally, employers cannot discriminate against age so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage in terms of age.
Nimsy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by squirrology)
You do not need 'experience' to become an apprentice, however, you do need qualifications depending on what type of apprenticeship you would like to do and also depends on the employer.
Intermediate Apprenticeship (This is equivalent to 5 'good' GCSE passes) - Usually doesn't require any qualifications
Advance Apprenticeship (This is equivalent to 2 A-level passes) - In order to do this, you would need 5 GCSE passes at grades A*-C or have completed an intermediate apprenticeship
Higher Apprenticeship (This is a foundation degree) - Usually requires 2 A-level passes/equivalent or have completed an advanced apprenticeship
Degree Apprenticeship (This is a Full degree) - Usually requires 3 A-level passes or equivalent

You need to include valid reasons in your application as to why you want to do the apprenticeship in accountancy in the first place and actually demonstrate your interest - there is no point applying for something if you can't show a genuine interest in accountancy.

Again it depends on the type of apprenticeship and also the employer itself on what specific qualifications they are asking for. However, if you're looking for an apprenticeship in accountancy, you will NEED a good GCSE Maths and English grade. Most accountancy apprenticeships ask for a Grade B or higher in GCSE Maths, so if you're not good at maths then it is probably not the best route to go down.

Additionally, employers cannot discriminate against age so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage in terms of age.
So, if I don't have decent GCSE grades in english & maths, should i go back to college to get at least achieve a B grade in maths and english? Im wanting to do an intermediate type apprenticeship. A lot of people say that what accountancy people do on a day to day basis is quite basic math, like adding and subtracting. I can do the basics in maths, but probably anything advanced I wouldn't be able to do. Nobody really knows what functional skills is anyway but it teaches you the absolute basic stuff that every person should know if they want to survive in life. When I tell this to employers, they look at me like "what is functional skills? I only know what gcse is." But my question is, should I go back to college to get better grades, in order to get a better job for my future? And also, does it really matter if you dont have say, a good grade in science or geography? I feel like only maths & english should be the core subjects to get into any job.
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nimsy)
So, if I don't have decent GCSE grades in english & maths, should i go back to college to get at least achieve a B grade in maths and english? Im wanting to do an intermediate type apprenticeship. A lot of people say that what accountancy people do on a day to day basis is quite basic math, like adding and subtracting. I can do the basics in maths, but probably anything advanced I wouldn't be able to do. Nobody really knows what functional skills is anyway but it teaches you the absolute basic stuff that every person should know if they want to survive in life. When I tell this to employers, they look at me like "what is functional skills? I only know what gcse is." But my question is, should I go back to college to get better grades, in order to get a better job for my future? And also, does it really matter if you dont have say, a good grade in science or geography? I feel like only maths & english should be the core subjects to get into any job.
I think you should definitely try and AT LEAST get a grade C in both Maths and English as it is crucial to have in most apprenticeships.

For other subjects I wouldn't say it matters unless the subject area is related to what you will be doing in the apprenticeship or it's states in the job requirements. HOWEVER, you will be most likely competing with other candidates that could have better grades meaning they could have a better chance of getting a place on the apprenticeship.

There are different types of accountancy apprentice positions that you can apply for, they won't just consist of doing "basic maths skills" and what not.
emma-prospela
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nimsy)
I want to get into an accountancy apprenticeship, but before when I have applied for apprenticeships, I am always unsuccessful. When I have gone to interviews in the past, I feel like they want me to have prior experience & knowledge about the role of being an accountant. Do you really need experience or a qualification to become an apprentice? I figured as they give you training and not pay you much, it is easier to get into than an actual job, and I know the support they would give me would benefit me so much and plus I'd learn a lot. I also don't have a Grade C in both Maths & English, does that lower my chances of getting into an apprenticeship? I have Functional Skills qualifications but only Level 1 in Maths & Level 2 in English. These days its really hard to get into one, especially at my age because I'm a bit older (21 years old), and they have to pay the government 50% to employ me. Any tips or advice you could give me to up my chances of getting into an accountancy apprenticeship would really help me and I really appreciate any help I get. Thanks for reading
Nimsy - luckily a lot of the Big 4 accountancy firms are no longer looking solely at grades as a precursor to getting a job with them.

We actually have a lot of accountants on our platform called Prospela (we match students with their own e-mentor in the industry they are trying to break in to for careers advice and live insights to the world of work). It's also a great first step for you trying to build a professional network in the sector. Feel free to check us out and sign up as we are actually launching a pilot next week and have a few remaining slots for students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed