The Student Room Group

Anyone need help for IB subjects and choices?

Hi Everyone, I've completed my first year of IB and I'm predicted a 40/42 (TOK/EE not published yet).

My subjects are:

HL
English Lang & Lit - 7
Economics -7
Philosophy - 6

SL
Chinese B - 7
Chemistry - 7
Maths - 6

I can also answer questions about other subjects as I have many friends who do quite a range of them.

Feel free to ask!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRMemberforIB
Hi Everyone, I've completed my first year of IB and I'm predicted a 40/42 (TOK/EE not published yet).

My subjects are:

HL
English Lang & Lit - 7
Economics -7
Philosophy - 6

SL
Chinese B - 7
Chemistry - 7
Maths - 6

I can also answer questions about other subjects as I have many friends who do quite a range of them.

Feel free to ask!

Hi i would like to knw if maths could be taken as HL and wht would the works be like?
Reply 2
Original post by AlinaReji24
Hi i would like to knw if maths could be taken as HL and wht would the works be like?

Hi, yes it can.

You can have a look at a past paper to see the sort of questions asked. Here is an example I found online:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4fLM7DDYFSdHJuMUFFbGdVbEE/view
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
what do you think of HL English Lang and Lit?

I'm doing it next year, though I've heard it's significantly different to GCSE English.

Original post by MD5745
what do you think of HL English Lang and Lit?

I'm doing it next year, though I've heard it's significantly different to GCSE English.

Honestly I find HL English Lang & Lit one of the easiest HL subjects the IB has to offer. There isn't much of a correlation between GCSE English and IB English, as I have a friend who got 2 B's for GCSE English and got 19/20 for his end of year exam.

However, you need to bear in mind that examination only accounts to 50% of your final grade, with the other 50% being written assignments and oral presentations.

Likewise, I don't find GCSE English to be "significantly" different to IB English, although IB may require you to write a comparative commentary on two text types, unlike GCSE where you are given a prescribed question. I think the hardest part in HL Lang Lit is the IOC (Individual Oral Commentary) where you have to give a commentary on a poem or extract from a novel.

Furthermore, IB English does have quite a heavy workload. It is normal to begin the year getting low grades, but the more practice you put in, the better you will get. May I ask, what are your other highers?

LOL What a coincidence I am in English class right now.
I'm free to answer any further questions you may have!
Reply 5
Honestly I find HL English Lang & Lit one of the easiest HL subjects the IB has to offer. There isn't much of a correlation between GCSE English and IB English, as I have a friend who got 2 B's for GCSE English and got 19/20 for his end of year exam.

However, you need to bear in mind that examination only accounts to 50% of your final grade, with the other 50% being written assignments and oral presentations.

Likewise, I don't find GCSE English to be "significantly" different to IB English, although IB may require you to write a comparative commentary on two text types, unlike GCSE where you are given a prescribed question. I think the hardest part in HL Lang Lit is the IOC (Individual Oral Commentary) where you have to give a commentary on a poem or extract from a novel.

Furthermore, IB English does have quite a heavy workload. It is normal to begin the year getting low grades, but the more practice you put in, the better you will get. May I ask, what are your other highers?

LOL What a coincidence I am in English class right now.
I'm free to answer any further questions you may have!

Thanks for the reply :smile:

My other higher subjects are Psychology and Biology
Is it true that universities don't really respect Business & Management? My dream career lies in Business and especially Management, so my current IB choices includes Business & Management HL. But then a lot of people seem to say that Business is a 'non-preferred' subject. My school's Economics HL class is full so the only option I'm offered at the moment is either Economics SL or Business HL/SL (I cannot take both at the same time). Which one do you think would be best for me, Business & Management HL or Economics SL?
Original post by whatisastudent
Is it true that universities don't really respect Business & Management? My dream career lies in Business and especially Management, so my current IB choices includes Business & Management HL. But then a lot of people seem to say that Business is a 'non-preferred' subject. My school's Economics HL class is full so the only option I'm offered at the moment is either Economics SL or Business HL/SL (I cannot take both at the same time). Which one do you think would be best for me, Business & Management HL or Economics SL?

Hey,

Don't worry mate. To be honest universities do not really care about your subjects, simply as they are not too soft, like Maths Studies for example. Unis just want the best grades possible. For example, If you are predicted 7 for B&M, you would probably be favoured over someone with a 6 in Econ.

I have had the same crisis when I was in your time. Since I want to study in University, I believed that unis greatly prefer HL History over HL Econ. If I were you I would e-mail the universities directly because I did the same. Universities reply with a suprising amount of depth, and the response I got was that they don't care about the subjects, just as long as you get the minimum of 7,6,6 at HL.

May I ask, what particular universities do you want to apply to?
Hey,

Don't worry mate. To be honest universities do not really care about your subjects, simply as they are not too soft, like Maths Studies for example. Unis just want the best grades possible. For example, If you are predicted 7 for B&M, you would probably be favoured over someone with a 6 in Econ.

I have had the same crisis when I was in your time. Since I want to study in University, I believed that unis greatly prefer HL History over HL Econ. If I were you I would e-mail the universities directly because I did the same. Universities reply with a suprising amount of depth, and the response I got was that they don't care about the subjects, just as long as you get the minimum of 7,6,6 at HL.

May I ask, what particular universities do you want to apply to?

My goal is actually American universities like Wharton (UPenn), Cornell and Berkeley but I also want to apply for UK schools like LSE and UCL. I know that US Universities care less about subject choices but on a a lot of the UK Universities' websites (like LSE's), they actually state 'Business Studies' as a non-preferred subject which makes me worried. Also, the Business courses in UK seem to include a lot of Economics knowledge.
My goal is actually American universities like Wharton (UPenn), Cornell and Berkeley but I also want to apply for UK schools like LSE and UCL. I know that US Universities care less about subject choices but on a a lot of the UK Universities' websites (like LSE's), they actually state 'Business Studies' as a non-preferred subject which makes me worried. Also, the Business courses in UK seem to include a lot of Economics knowledge.

I'd say that Business is a very general subject and universities would accept a wide variety of subjects. Degree level business is not like Economics where HL Maths is a requirement.

By the way, are you going to take HL Maths?

As for your case, I'm not entirely sure. But you can e-mail LSE and UCL directly and ask them yourself. When I asked them about my subjects they replied within 2 days and the replies were quite thorough as well!

Here is the link for LSE

[email protected]

Here is the link for UCL

[email protected]
Good Luck!
Original post by AlinaReji24

Yes you can take Maths HL. It's broadly very similar to the new A-level Maths syllabus; they're both linear, they both contain mechanics and statistics sections and cover the core maths material. There is slightly less mechanics and statistics I believe to make "room" for the optional paper material; you will do one of several options in e.g. infinite series & differential equations, statistics, discrete mathematics and others. These options are normally chosen by your teacher and they teach just one but the paper has questions from all options (although you only answer one option section).
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes you can take Maths HL. It's broadly very similar to the new A-level Maths syllabus; they're both linear, they both contain mechanics and statistics sections and cover the core maths material. There is slightly less mechanics and statistics I believe to make "room" for the optional paper material; you will do one of several options in e.g. infinite series & differential equations, statistics, discrete mathematics and others. These options are normally chosen by your teacher and they teach just one but the paper has questions from all options (although you only answer one option section).

IB HL Maths is MUCH, much harder than A-Level Maths.

There is a massive gap between SL and HL Maths. You must bear that in mind.

A-Level Maths = IB SL Maths in terms of difficulty.
IB HL Maths is MUCH, much harder than A-Level Maths.

There is a massive gap between SL and HL Maths. You must bear that in mind.

A-Level Maths = IB SL Maths in terms of difficulty.

I've done IB, and was studying engineering at uni. I'm familiar with both the A-level and IB syllabuses as well as how they prepare for further study. IB HL Maths no longer significantly outstrips A-level Maths in content or difficulty. The content is broadly the same now; the IB HL exams can be more challenging but are not nearly as much as they used to be.

Yes there are some topics (notably complex numbers and a very brief introduction to proof by induction) that aren't on the A-level syllabus and as noted the exams CAN be more challenging. However asserting that it's signifcantly harder than A-level is unrealistic. Not to mention the suggestion that SL Maths is equivalent to A-level; there are notable gaps in the SL syllabus that are on the core A-level course, they don't even come close to being equivalent (and no Uni will accept SL Maths in lieu of A-level Maths for entry requirements that I am aware of; if it requires A-level Maths, it requires HL).

More relevantly, A-level students have the option to do Further Maths, which is increasinly available in schools and there are ways to take it through the Further Maths Support Group if not. Even at just AS level, the gap between HL Maths and A-level maths is completely closed and exceeded by A-level students; at full A-level, they cover significantly more material at comparable or greater depth. IB Further Maths on the other hand is only offered by a handful of locations across the country, all private schools to my knowledge.

HL Maths lost it's crown a few years ago now, and has yet to regain it. The increasing availability of Further Maths, the new linear prescribed syllabus, and the dropping of matrices from the HL (and SL) syllabus ensured this.
(edited 6 years ago)

It depends what you intend to apply for, but if you're applying for LSE Economics degrees HL Maths is necessary (and contrary to the above indication, the specific maths course you choose does make a difference; if you're applying for almost anything outside of the humanities and some less quantitative social sciences, they will expect SL at least, not studies). For the non joint with econ/maths/stats SL maths may be suitable.

They also prefer economics to business studies if the option is available for most of their courses. It's less likely to be a deal breaker for business/management courses except the joint honours with economics or maths/stats in which case they may well hold it against you.
I'd say that Business is a very general subject and universities would accept a wide variety of subjects. Degree level business is not like Economics where HL Maths is a requirement.

By the way, are you going to take HL Maths?

As for your case, I'm not entirely sure. But you can e-mail LSE and UCL directly and ask them yourself. When I asked them about my subjects they replied within 2 days and the replies were quite thorough as well!

Here is the link for LSE

[email protected]

Here is the link for UCL

[email protected]
Good Luck!

Yeapp I am taking HL Maths. I already emailed LSE and I am currently waiting for their reply :smile: Thanks a lot for your help
It depends what you intend to apply for, but if you're applying for LSE Economics degrees HL Maths is necessary (and contrary to the above indication, the specific maths course you choose does make a difference; if you're applying for almost anything outside of the humanities and some less quantitative social sciences, they will expect SL at least, not studies). For the non joint with econ/maths/stats SL maths may be suitable.

They also prefer economics to business studies if the option is available for most of their courses. It's less likely to be a deal breaker for business/management courses except the joint honours with economics or maths/stats in which case they may well hold it against you.

I want to apply for a business/management course and yes, I am informed that HL Maths is necessary. Thanks for your help.

Does anyone know about applications to US Universities?
I want to apply for a business/management course and yes, I am informed that HL Maths is necessary. Thanks for your help.

Does anyone know about applications to US Universities?

For business SL maths may be sufficient, but check the entry requirements on the website.

US universities don't require any specific subjects to apply, just complete the diploma as well as possible. If you get good marks in your HL subjects you may be able to "skip" some first year level courses and take more advanced ones in those areas.
For business SL maths may be sufficient, but check the entry requirements on the website.

US universities don't require any specific subjects to apply, just complete the diploma as well as possible. If you get good marks in your HL subjects you may be able to "skip" some first year level courses and take more advanced ones in those areas.

Ohhh I see, thank you!
I can chip in with you, since we are taking different subjects! Finished DP1 with 41/42 (as core isn't included), with the following subjects:

HL Chemistry: 7
HL Biology: 7
HL German: 7
HL Maths: 6

SL English LaL: 7
SL Geography: 7

As I am a medschool applicant I can answer questions regarding IB and med schools as well. I have contacted a few regarding advantages of 4HLs etc., so feel free to ask away!
I will take my IB starting this july. I was confused either want to choose econs or business for my IBE.
Since these two subject are really new for me.
May I know your suggestion😁

Quick Reply

Latest