harinab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!
I am currently studying in MYP5 (IB's Middle Years Programme), which means there is less than a year till I go into DP1. I would like to do law after graduating from school and as there are so many subjects, I was planning to take 7, any suggestions from people who took 7 subjects in IBDP?

These are my choices:
HL:
  1. Economics
  2. Literature
  3. Psychology
  4. Performing Arts

SL:
  1. Math
  2. Physics
  3. French
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Taking 7 subjects is pretty unusual as I'm aware; it's also not realistically going to help getting into a degree programme like Law, as there are no required prerequisites you need to fulfill that you may not be able to due to the structure of the programme (e.g. medicine students taking additional sciences). I would recommend you stick to the usual 6; it's a great deal of work even with "just" 6, and you'll be more than prepared to continue to a degree in Law with the usual setup. Particularly, Performing Arts is like to take up a great deal of time, more than you may expect. When you balance this with the core and demands of your other subjects, piling more on top seems like you'll potentially be harming your chances by not allowing you to focus enough on the required 6 + core.
username1444816
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Taking 7 subjects is pretty unusual as I'm aware; it's also not realistically going to help getting into a degree programme like Law, as there are no required prerequisites you need to fulfill that you may not be able to due to the structure of the programme (e.g. medicine students taking additional sciences). I would recommend you stick to the usual 6; it's a great deal of work even with "just" 6, and you'll be more than prepared to continue to a degree in Law with the usual setup. Particularly, Performing Arts is like to take up a great deal of time, more than you may expect. When you balance this with the core and demands of your other subjects, piling more on top seems like you'll potentially be harming your chances by not allowing you to focus enough on the required 6 + core.
I fully agree. I do not believe you would benefit from an extra subject. Use that time elsewhere and maximise your points with the 6 subjects.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by harinab)
Hello!
I am currently studying in MYP5 (IB's Middle Years Programme), which means there is less than a year till I go into DP1. I would like to do law after graduating from school and as there are so many subjects, I was planning to take 7, any suggestions from people who took 7 subjects in IBDP?

These are my choices:
HL:
  1. Economics
  2. Literature
  3. Psychology
  4. Performing Arts

SL:
  1. Math
  2. Physics
  3. French
3 HL's are bad enough, don't do 4 unless you have to, which you don't and 7 subjects is not recommended by even the IB!!
MPforDragonstone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't take performing arts
n.elliott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I actually did seven IB subjects and have an offer to study Law with European Law at Oxford University this coming October. I took English Lit, History, Theatre Arts, and Visual Arts at HL and Biology, Spanish, and Maths at SL and actually found it very manageable. Obviously it depends what type of learner you are but I preferred being constantly busy (which you really will be!) and working under pressure.

I wouldn't be deterred from studying seven subjects simply because there's "no point" - I was passionate about both Arts subjects and didn't want to give either up, which also helped me stay focused as I loved what I was doing.

Law is a very saturated field and not only doing the IB but doing seven subjects may help you stand out to admissions tutors. I would encourage you to do seven subjects if you want to, but obviously talk to your guidance counsellor/teachers/etc to make sure they trust you'll be able to cope with it.
myh18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Like the above writer, I too did 7 IB subjects and I have an offer to study Law at UCL. I took English A Literature, French B Lang&Lit, and Econ at HL while taking Chemistry, Psychology, History and Math at SL. It sounds a lot harder than it is - I was also able to manage being on 3 competitive school sports teams and a few academic clubs throughout my 2 diploma years.

From what I see, your subject choices cover a wide variety of courses and show well-roundedness academically. Obviously I'm no expert, but I think that there's great strength in presenting this well-roundedness, and I think the law admissions tutors would recognize that. However, it's important to note that academics are only one of several factors that universities see. Your work experience, personal statement, LNAT score (if applicable) and interview (again, if applicable), play an important role as well (and may even be more important).

Overall, I think that you shouldn't be deterred from taking the seventh course, just because it's not necessary. If you're genuinely passionate enough about all of your courses, there's nothing stopping you from excelling at them. If it's too much pressure after one year, you do have the option of dropping one of the subjects (either Performing Arts, Economics or Psychology) as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (112)
27.72%
England (140)
34.65%
Belgium (30)
7.43%
Germany (41)
10.15%
Spain (9)
2.23%