Which A-levels should I take?

Watch
pastelrose
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay, so I want to study English at uni and I'm definitely taking english language and literature. It doesn't matter what third option I take for the course I want to do but my options are:

History, (though I'm not very interested in the subjects we're studying)
Psychology (though I'm worried about how science-based it may be)
Biology (I don't know how hard this will be)
ans media or film (which I know won't look as good for universities)

I really wanted to do sociology but my college doesn't offer that so any ideas on what would we be best for someone who likes english (considering I'm not that interested in the history spec)? Thank you!
Roberto12
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pastelrose)
Okay, so I want to study English at uni and I'm definitely taking english language and literature. It doesn't matter what third option I take for the course I want to do but my options are:

I really wanted to do sociology but my college doesn't offer that so any ideas on what would we be best for someone who likes english (considering I'm not that interested in the history spec)? Thank you!

Its a shame as sociology fits in with English really well. From what my friends have said psychology isn't too science based so i wouldn't worry about that. Seen as you already have your heart set on your future try and pick a subject that you will enjoy as you will want a break from double english which can be tough even for the best pupils.
findlaywhitlock
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'd take psychlogy if I were you.
Definitely don't take something you're not interested in because you'll completly dread the lessons and be bored out of you mind for 2 years.
Biology is HARD and there's so much to remember it will kind of take over your life and all you revision will be biology.
Film and Media would be a good option but only if you're actually intersted in it - it fits with the English course quite well.
Psychology is a science but it's not as scientific as biology. It's also quite intersting - I took it at AS level and although I dropped it because it was a filler, I did enjoy most if it. It's quite essay heavy and there's a few hard maths bits but it's not too bad.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pastelrose)

If you don't like the history spec, don't take it. If you're worried about how science-based psychology is, definitely don't take biology. I think your best bets are psychology, media or film.

I don't think unis will really discriminate against you for choosing media or film, so if you enjoy it you should totally go for it! Just to double check beforehand, I'd look at a few unis you might want to go to, to see if they explicitly say media or film aren't accepted, but I doubt sincerely doubt they will
saffarinda
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey! If you want to do English at Uni, essay based subjects would probably be best!

History compliments English really well, perhaps you'll find some topics in A-Level interesting?

Psychology has a lot of case studies, if you're good at memorizing then you may be good. As long as you have an interest in it, and work hard, you should be good at it!

Biology is incredibly difficult, I'd probably avoid this if you don't achieve A/A* at GCSE, but if you think you can put the effort in then try it

Media and Film doesn't always look great, sadly it's often considered a "soft" subject. However, if you research some Uni's you want to apply to and they seem accepting of the subject, then go for it!

I'd heavily advise History, it looks really good when applying to Uni's. However, ultimately do what you think you'll enjoy! You'll probably work harder and get better grades if you enjoy what you're studying

Good luck!
shellos
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So, History is probably best suited to the subjects you're taking but if you're not interested in the subjects then you'll probably lack motivation. Which will mean you're going to suffer grade wise.

Psychology, from what I've heard, is very maths based. They use a lot of statistics and research so it depends if you're up for that. I think this might be one of your better options if you're really not liking the subjects in History. However, it's very much up to you.

Biology is a difficult one, however it has probably one of the biggest workloads based on quantity. And the exam is going to be a completely different style to your English ones. It might take a bit more effort on your part. In addition there's a fair amount that overlaps with Chemistry, but not a huge amount.

And you already know about Film and Media. I would only choose these subjects if you have a particular passion for them.

I would be asking yourself how much you think you can stomach taking History and whether or not the maths content in Psychology is going to cause any trouble for you
maddiehigha
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I do psychology and I do really like it, its really interesting but there is a lot of content. So if you do take it I would advise making good notes and revision resources from the beginning!
My friend takes media and she really enjoys it!
I would advise reading into all of your options and the content which is taught and see if your going to enjoy it!
good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.37%
Note taking apps (6)
2.42%
Flashcards (49)
19.76%
Revision guides (15)
6.05%
Past papers (117)
47.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.23%

Watched Threads