Why can't feminists answer this question??? Watch

TheDuo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If feminism is about EQUALITY why is the word itself AND the definition only supporting women?
ohdearohdear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
because it is about empowering females who have been oppressed for a long time, but I agree that the name puts off a lot of men from supporting the movement
TheDuo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohdearohdear)
because it is about empowering females who have been oppressed for a long time, but I agree that the name puts off a lot of men from supporting the movement
I agree, therefore people should not say that feminism stands up for men too, people who truly believe in both men AND women should call themselves equalists.
FrostyMoment
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You clearly don't know what feminism means or where it comes from. Feminism was a word coined to me an equality and was always associated with equal rights with men and women.
ohdearohdear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the problem with the name is the fact that many need to understand where the movement started out. Back in the 19th/20th century when women were, and I think most would agree, very oppressed they did not have the same level of rights we do now. For them it was about the increase in amount of rights for women not men because they had the upper hand. Obviously now we have come a long way and are now in the 4th wave of feminism; it's more focused on equality of the sexes. However the name that has carried this movement has power and meaning and so 'feminism' may be more useful in the march for equality?
saffarinda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's about putting men and women on the same level. So women can be more empowered with regards to education in some countries, being viewed as strong as men etc. Similarly, men will also be able to express emotions more freely, will be maternity leave, can take on more traditionally feminine roles without judgment.

Equalism isn't a widely known term - sticking to feminism is often much simpler, and considering the fact that women do have further to go than men to be equal (I'm speaking with regards to people who feel women shouldn't be educated) it's unsurprising people stick with that term and often feel it relates directly to women as opposed to men.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because feminists think that men are always advantaged and women always disadvantaged, so in their eyes the solution to 'equality' is to stop disadvantaging women.

Of course it's stupid and wrong, but what you gonna do eh.

Thank goodness that continously fewer people are identifying as feminist in the UK.
JamieHarris1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheDuo)
If feminism is about EQUALITY why is the word itself AND the definition only supporting women?

The definition of the word refers to equality between the sexes.
The type that you refer to are the most radical and actually don't represent the feminist aims at all in reality. But, due to these being the most radical and outspoken the media are reporting these and these people get the largest voices, and so people have started to associate feminism with something it is not.
TheDuo
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamieHarris1998)
The definition of the word refers to equality between the sexes.
The type that you refer to are the most radical and actually don't represent the feminist aims at all in reality. But, due to these being the most radical and outspoken the media are reporting these and these people get the largest voices, and so people have started to associate feminism with something it is not.
actually no, you're wrong the definition of feminism is "
the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."

"the advocacy of women's" is the main clause, therefore that is the true definition, and unsurprisingly, men's rights don't feature at all.
JamieHarris1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
actually no, you're wrong the definition of feminism is "
the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."

"the advocacy of women's" is the main clause, therefore that is the true definition, and unsurprisingly, men's rights don't feature at all.

On the grounds of the equality of sexes. Traditionally women have had less rights and entitlements than men so I don't see why anyone should take issue with this, it doesn't claim to undermine any male rights or entitlements.
Plus, feminism has many different strands and waves given the times periods. Modern feminism certainly aims to try tackle social issues and stereotypes more, as in modern times women and men moreless do have formal equality
TheDuo
Rep:
?
On the grounds of the equality of sexes. Traditionally women have had less rights and entitlements than men so I don't see why anyone should take issue with this, it doesn't claim to undermine any male rights or entitlements.
Plus, feminism has many different strands and waves given the times periods. Modern feminism certainly aims to try tackle social issues and stereotypes more, as in modern times women and men moreless do have formal equality
I think you'll find that's actually EQUALISM.
JamieHarris1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
well yeah, feminism is to the most part equalism, apart from the small strand of what many term 'man haters'.

Its just a name due to its traditions of trying to achieve formal equality for women
TheDuo
Rep:
?
well yeah, feminism is to the most part equalism, apart from the small strand of what many term 'man haters'.

Its just a name due to its traditions of trying to achieve formal equality for women
I don't mean to be rude, but that is completely wrong. we have international women's day and the like, any equivalent celebration or organisation for men would be classed as discrimination, and the cause of this is FEMINISM no matter how radical you think they are.
Lenniah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It supports all genders by definition. It is called feminism because it was women who had to fight for their equal rights in the early 20th century, so the movement was dedicated to them. Nowadays, women still have to fight for equal rights and opportunities in multiple spheres, so the name remains, even though the movement's goals have slighty changed.

What people seem to not understand is that feminists do not hate men. Feminists support women, men, cis and trans people, genderfluid people, non-binary and many more. Feminism empowers all genders; yes, admittedly, it does focus on women and the other genders more than men, but that is to be expected, given that women and people of other genders are still more likely to have to endure discrimination, violence, abandonment, rape and many more than men.
Katherine_Alice
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't mean to be rude, but that is completely wrong. we have international women's day and the like, any equivalent celebration or organisation for men would be classed as discrimination, and the cause of this is FEMINISM no matter how radical you think they are.
International Men's Day already has been around for over a decade already.

The day is used to promote physical and mental health, challenging the stereotypes of what a man should be, as well as highlighting positive male role-models. More recently the day is used to raise awarness of rising male suicide rates and the organisations and campaigns that are dedicated to preventing it.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol i love how you're like why can't feminists answer this question??? and then everyone just answers the question. i think the answer is really simple and most people on here have covered it really well. for me this issue is when people are ignorant about what feminism actually is and the definition is literally equality for men and women, and its called feminism bc in the past women had so few rights so obviously it was based on rights for women, and now i think the name is still relevant bc women still are not equal to men and they don't need to rename it gender equality or whatever just so that people like you don't get confused and offended by misinterpreting the name
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol there is an international men's day you can google it
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not necessarily.

Feminism attempts to establish and maintain rights for females. It is often paired with egalitarianism but it's not a necessity.
iWonTaekIt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The ultimate goal of feminists is equality. As many have stated on here, it's because women in the past weren't treated as equals. The same can be said for some countries today.
Feminism is simply focusing on these limited or even lack of rights women have because although discrimination and sexism towards men is certainly an issue, discrimination and sexism towards women has more publicity because let's face it, they have faced more oppression in the past then men have (I'm not suggesting men weren't oppressed here, I'm just stating that women were more frequently and openly).
I like to think of feminism as a 'sub-category', if you will, of equality, with 'equality' being a rather broad, 'umbrella' term.
Those who put women above men are not feminists. Just sexist.
username2552331
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is not 'equalism'. It's 'egalitarianism'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads