The Student Room Group

Urgent PGCE advice! Is it too late?

Hey guys!

So, I graduated from Uni a few years ago, and ever since I've been employed in what I always considered to be a 'stop gap' job. I am now looking for a PGCE course to hopefully start this year, as long as it is not too late! I have a few questions regarding funding, the information online seems to differ a lot, so I'd really appreciate your replies!

1) I currently earn about 16K per year, but once I start my full-time course I would have to quit my job and commit to more flexible, bank hours. My partner earns 18K and will continue to earn that throughout the course.

Since Student Finance support is assessed based on the earnings in the previous year (at least afaik), would I still be eligible for Maintenance Loan? My earnings this and last year will be greater than when I'm studying since I won't be working full-time anymore, but I'm not sure whether that will still mean I won't be able to claim full maintenance loan?

2) Is it possible to claim maintenance loan as well as a personal development loan from a bank? I have no other means of financing the course whilst supporting myself and my partner, I am unaware of any bursaries that I might be entitled to, although I have looked.

3) Finally, would you say that it's too late to apply for this year? I was recently rejected by all three salaried positions that I applied for initially, which is why I am now applying so late. Should I apply for Student Finance before applying for the course?

Any guidance on this would be really appreciated!! :smile:
Have you done your professional skills tests? You NEED to have those done before they'll even accept you and they need to be done by the 30th June.
Original post by Kay09811
Hey guys!

So, I graduated from Uni a few years ago, and ever since I've been employed in what I always considered to be a 'stop gap' job. I am now looking for a PGCE course to hopefully start this year, as long as it is not too late! I have a few questions regarding funding, the information online seems to differ a lot, so I'd really appreciate your replies!

1) I currently earn about 16K per year, but once I start my full-time course I would have to quit my job and commit to more flexible, bank hours. My partner earns 18K and will continue to earn that throughout the course.

Since Student Finance support is assessed based on the earnings in the previous year (at least afaik), would I still be eligible for Maintenance Loan? My earnings this and last year will be greater than when I'm studying since I won't be working full-time anymore, but I'm not sure whether that will still mean I won't be able to claim full maintenance loan?

2) Is it possible to claim maintenance loan as well as a personal development loan from a bank? I have no other means of financing the course whilst supporting myself and my partner, I am unaware of any bursaries that I might be entitled to, although I have looked.

3) Finally, would you say that it's too late to apply for this year? I was recently rejected by all three salaried positions that I applied for initially, which is why I am now applying so late. Should I apply for Student Finance before applying for the course?

Have you done your professional skills tests? You NEED to have those done before they'll even accept you and they need to be done by the 30th June.
Reply 3
Original post by Scienceisgood

Ahh damn no, will need to leave it till next year then. :/ Still, what about funding? If Student Finance support looks at the last tax year to assess support, would that affect what I'm eligible for even though I will need to quit my job before I actually start the course, so my earnings will be much less?

Thanks for your reply!!!
Reply 4
What course? Are you eligable for a bursary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kay09811
Hey guys!

You are better off posting this in the PGCE sub forum as there are current students and teachers lurking around there. However I will do my best to answer your questions;

1. You are very unlikely to be able to work part time alongside a PGCE, especially once you are on placement. Free time will be taken up with uni assignments, lesson marking and planning.

In relation to student finance, to the best of my knowledge the usual rules as at undergraduate level apply i.e. your parents income is taken into account unless you are 25 or over, married, estranged from them or have been working 3 or more years earning £7.5k. If one or more applies to you then you would be classified as an independent student so your earnings last year wouldn't be taken into account.

2. No you can't get a career development loan as you are eligible for student finance. Full funding details can be found here https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview

3. Really depends on the subject and how flexible you are with location. Although in general you may have to be flexible over location as PGCE's can be competitive entry so you can't guarantee getting onto one where you live now.

A final point to note that hasn't been mentioned yet- do you have any school based work experience?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending