username3405556
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anyone who go to university know if I am likely to be accepted at a university if I am 15 when I would go there? I am looking at aeronautical engineering and I would appreciate if anyone could give some info about Cambridge University?
anonymous23456
Badges: 14
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Edward Tomanek)
Does anyone who go to university know if I am likely to be accepted at a university if I am 15 when I would go there? I am looking at aeronautical engineering and I would appreciate if anyone could give some info about Cambridge University?
No way , 18 is the earliest age, have you done your a levels yet??? let alone gcses?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Underage students can be accepted but it's becoming less common.
Are you currently studying A-levels or equivalent? Which subjects?

You could ask a current Cambridge admissions tutor in his thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4778102
ShadowSeeker
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I will be doing the same course as you haha
but at Hertforshire
Mystery.
Report 2 years ago
Only happens if you are a downright genius.
ShadowSeeker
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mystery.)
Only happens if you are a downright genius.
i agree
anonymous23456
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ShadowSeeker)
Hi I will be doing the same course as you haha
but at Hertforshire
oooh Hertfordshire eh? good luck x
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We are not sure about Cambridge and suggest you approach both a College and the relevant Department.

We prefer students to be at least 16 on entry because below this age a student would have to be looked after by a parent or guardian. This would entail living out in privately rented accommodation unless the family happens to live close by. There might be some flexibility on this if the student was very close to being 16 on 1st October. Students under 16 would also have to be accompanied at interview by a parent/guardian and would probably also need to arrange private accommodation for this also.

Note that Medicine now has a no-exception minimum age of 18 (if you are 17 and 364 days the day before Term starts, a deferred offer would be made).

Brasenose Admissions
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
We are not sure about Cambridge and suggest you approach both a College and the relevant Department.
Fitz did admit a 14 year old back in 2010 if I remember correctly.
ShadowSeeker
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by adorable16)
oooh Hertfordshire eh? good luck x
yea why adorable
thank you
do you live near there? haha
well I wanna see if the french actually do melt you hehe
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by iainvg)
Fitz did admit a 14 year old back in 2010 if I remember correctly.
Arran Fernandez, 15 yo.

Went on to be (youngest ever) Senior Wrangler and is a current PhD student.
anonymous23456
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ShadowSeeker)
yea why adorable
thank you
do you live near there? haha
well I wanna see if the french actually do melt you hehe
Awww, and no I don't live near there sorry hon x
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As Doonesbury noted, it does happen but is uncommon. It's usually Maths which seems to have younger students, if any, for some reason. It's possible there may be health and safety issues regarding engineering labwork, specifically depending on how the department insures against any potential applicants.

Both Peterhouse (Peterhouse Admissions) and Fitzwilliam College at Cambridge seem to end up with the lion's share of younger students over the years, so you may want to look into those two colleges in particular (the former having a presence on TSR as tagged and runs FAQ threads periodically through the year; I would recommend following them to see if they start a new one).

You will be expected to meet all the same admissions criteria as any standard school leaver age (or mature student for that matter) however. Other universities do also sometimes take younger students, although typically it's only by a year or so younger; there may be some additional conditions attached (for example a friend of a friend who started his MPhys at Exeter when he was 17 was required to sign a document confirming he would not engage in any relationships with staff and faculty members for the duration of his course).
username3405556
Rep:
?
(Original post by adorable16)
No way , 18 is the earliest age, have you done your a levels yet??? let alone gcses?
Qualification-wise i'll be fine (i'm doing a levels + will be applying for 2018 entry). I was just wondering how likely i am to be accepted at my age.
username3405556
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Underage students can be accepted but it's becoming less common.
Are you currently studying A-levels or equivalent? Which subjects?

You could ask a current Cambridge admissions tutor in his thread here:
Yeah I am doing a levels in the 3 sciences, maths, further maths, french and russian. ok thanks for the link as well
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I am doing a levels in the 3 sciences, maths, further maths, french and russian. ok thanks for the link as well
7 A-levels...

Planning on Medicine? Or NatSci? Or Maths? Or...?

Good luck. Honestly.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Qualification-wise i'll be fine (i'm doing a levels + will be applying for 2018 entry). I was just wondering how likely i am to be accepted at my age.
Just to reiterate, if you want to ask the Cambridge AT in his thread you need to do it now - the thread closes today:

Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As Doonesbury noted, it does happen but is uncommon. It's usually Maths which seems to have younger students, if any, for some reason. It's possible there may be health and safety issues regarding engineering labwork, specifically depending on how the department insures against any potential applicants.

Both Peterhouse (Peterhouse Admissions) and Fitzwilliam College at Cambridge seem to end up with the lion's share of younger students over the years, so you may want to look into those two colleges in particular (the former having a presence on TSR as tagged and runs FAQ threads periodically through the year; I would recommend following them to see if they start a new one).

You will be expected to meet all the same admissions criteria as any standard school leaver age (or mature student for that matter) however. Other universities do also sometimes take younger students, although typically it's only by a year or so younger; there may be some additional conditions attached (for example a friend of a friend who started his MPhys at Exeter when he was 17 was required to sign a document confirming he would not engage in any relationships with staff and faculty members for the duration of his course).
We've been summoned!

We will consider applications from students aged under 18 and it is far from uncommon for students to enter 17. However, it is relatively more unusual for a student to enter under 16. Any decision to offer to such a candidate would have to be checked with the Department first, as there are often health and safety concerns which prevent students aged under 16 taking part in practicals etc. I would be far from surprised if this were the case with such a practical course as Engineering. The OP may want to look at deferring entry, the extra age and maturity would also help as the challenges of living independently away from home shouldn't be underestimated at any age, and there is a much higher chance that a younger student might not feel as at home as the rest of the adult-aged freshers.

To OP - what qualifications do you hold? Be sure that you aren't stretching yourself too thin. Without any other qualifications as evidence of your ability it is a bit concerning that you are taking so many subjects. Are you at a school or College? Do you have predicted grades?
MeYou2Night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Even if youre able to and everything, I wouldnt. You wont be able to partake in any social stuff and you'll become isolated, lonely and depressed.

No offence, but I wouldnt of wanted a kid (which you are) hanging around or living with me when i was at university.
marers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Note that Medicine now has a no-exception minimum age of 18 (if you are 17 and 364 days the day before Term starts, a deferred offer would be made).
At what time of day does term begin? And are time zones taken into account?

For example, if the term starts at 10am on 4 October, British Summer Time, and an applicant was born at 11am on 4 October in Nuuk, Greenland, Western Greenland Summer Time, a moment of time labelled 8am BST and 7am GMT, would they be eligible?

And what if their 18th birthday is 4 October, the day term starts, and they were born at 10.05am, British Summer Time, in Cornwall, when it was astronomically more than 18 years prior to 10.00am Greenwich or even Oxford time, even if according to civil time it was less?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads