The Student Room Group

DE&S Engineering Management Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It feels odd that I don’t need to do anything for the Devonport one. It’s my preferred option because of the marine engineering qualification as that’s the sort of direction I wish to go. I asked at my Abbey Wood interview about Plymouth and so on and they had no idea at all, but the man organising the interviews said not to do anything. I hope I’ll find out sooner rather than later. I’d happily go for another interview if it helped 😂. I’m still waiting on a SC, apparently some are taking 5 months .
Original post by beehall
It feels odd that I don’t need to do anything for the Devonport one. It’s my preferred option because of the marine engineering qualification as that’s the sort of direction I wish to go. I asked at my Abbey Wood interview about Plymouth and so on and they had no idea at all, but the man organising the interviews said not to do anything. I hope I’ll find out sooner rather than later. I’d happily go for another interview if it helped 😂. I’m still waiting on a SC, apparently some are taking 5 months .

The SC time depends upon things like how much background you have for them to check, how easily they can find the info etc and the DBS workload at the time.

The tests and interviews are the same across the two schemes so you do one for both. The organiser guy's initials D.G.?

It's likely due to a backlog at DBS as theres a lot of stuff going through them.
You can contact the apprenticeship people for an update regarding the Devonport scheme progress I'm sure.
Reply 23
Hi,

Roughly what age are the people doing the apprenticeship. I will be 19 when starting and not sure if it's old or not.

Thanks in advance
Reply 24
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
You can contact the apprenticeship people for an update regarding the Devonport scheme progress I'm sure.

I might do but I’m sure they’ll let me know when they know.
I’m unsure if the organisers initials but he was at both the assessment and interviews.
Original post by BT15
Hi,

Roughly what age are the people doing the apprenticeship. I will be 19 when starting and not sure if it's old or not.

Thanks in advance

Youngest in my intake was 17, I was 30 when I started. And I'm not the oldest to have done the scheme either.
Reply 26

Morning
I contacted DG earlier this week and he said they’d know more by Monday as interviews will finish this week. Friday morning I got an email to say I had a place on the Devonport scheme which I’m over the moon about!
Roll on Plymouth!
😁
Original post by beehall
Morning
I contacted DG earlier this week and he said they’d know more by Monday as interviews will finish this week. Friday morning I got an email to say I had a place on the Devonport scheme which I’m over the moon about!
Roll on Plymouth!
😁

Congratulations! I'm glad you got the place you wanted. Plus, it's quite helpful to have contact with the platforms we actually look after, and Devonport gives you that opportunity to go on the Boats and Ships. My advice, though about a year and a bit early, is to ask for the SUSM/Submarine stream when they ask your preferences (usually end of the first phase). More opportunities in the long run.

Out paths may cross as I still support the Apprenticeship and I'm occaisionally in Guzz when my ABW duties demand it :smile:

Same goes for anybody on the Devonport scheme, if my help is needed, I'm available. :smile:
Reply 28
Congratulations! I'm glad you got the place you wanted. Plus, it's quite helpful to have contact with the platforms we actually look after, and Devonport gives you that opportunity to go on the Boats and Ships. My advice, though about a year and a bit early, is to ask for the SUSM/Submarine stream when they ask your preferences (usually end of the first phase). More opportunities in the long run.

Out paths may cross as I still support the Apprenticeship and I'm occaisionally in Guzz when my ABW duties demand it :smile:

Same goes for anybody on the Devonport scheme, if my help is needed, I'm available. :smile:

Hello,
Thank you I’m very happy, just need to wait on the SC and I’m off! It’s going on the ships and actually seeing them that I’m looking forward to.
What opportunities do you get if you go for the SUSM/ Submarine stream? I’m assuming the induction week is when we get briefed on the layout of the next 3 years.

Thank you for your help, I can’t wait to just get going.
Bee
Original post by beehall
Hello,
Thank you I’m very happy, just need to wait on the SC and I’m off! It’s going on the ships and actually seeing them that I’m looking forward to.
What opportunities do you get if you go for the SUSM/ Submarine stream? I’m assuming the induction week is when we get briefed on the layout of the next 3 years.

Thank you for your help, I can’t wait to just get going.
Bee

Basically, there are more varied jobs available within SUSM. Especially here in ABW and aslo in Guzz. The Induction week will see you all briefed on life in the CS, behaviour and discipline rules, pay and prospects as well as things like college hours and time off. Your leave allocation for the first year is preset by the management team so that will coincide with the college holidays.

You will/should also get a trip to the college as well as possibly the chance to talk to a few Apprentices from the phase above you. There will no doubt be some mind numbing team activities too, just grit the teeth and dive in.
Reply 30
Basically, there are more varied jobs available within SUSM. Especially here in ABW and aslo in Guzz. The Induction week will see you all briefed on life in the CS, behaviour and discipline rules, pay and prospects as well as things like college hours and time off. Your leave allocation for the first year is preset by the management team so that will coincide with the college holidays.

You will/should also get a trip to the college as well as possibly the chance to talk to a few Apprentices from the phase above you. There will no doubt be some mind numbing team activities too, just grit the teeth and dive in.

Ah ok brilliant! I’m aware about holidays, pay etc as it is in the information in the job advert.
I chatted to a man who was a second year on the day of my interview and he was very informative.
Team activities are always corny but good to get to know people.
I’m excited!
Original post by beehall
Ah ok brilliant! I’m aware about holidays, pay etc as it is in the information in the job advert.
I chatted to a man who was a second year on the day of my interview and he was very informative.
Team activities are always corny but good to get to know people.
I’m excited!

Best of luck. Having finished the Apprenticeship early in Feb, I can safely say it's an excellent opportunity you won't get elsewhere :smile:
Reply 32
I’ve had a few things come through lately like size requests for coveralls and boots, also an invite to a ceremony/evening for those graduating.
It is getting quite exciting with the start getting closer. I’m still a tad concerned regarding timings really. I’m awaiting the security checks to be completed and what with needing to give notice at my current job I’m running out of time.
Were there any apprentices when you started who hadn’t got their clearance yet or didn’t have much notice?
I’m moving myself and my horse and we’re currently 4/5 hours away.
I understand the vetting department is busy but waiting is so hard 😂
Reply 33
Hi Beehall,

I am starting in Bristol in September and I am also worried about the start time, I need to give 4 weeks notice in my current job, with the start date being early Sept I'm hoping I hear this week really 😂
Reply 34
Original post by BT15
Hi Beehall,

I am starting in Bristol in September and I am also worried about the start time, I need to give 4 weeks notice in my current job, with the start date being early Sept I'm hoping I hear this week really 😂

I’m hoping it’s anytime now too!
Congratulations on getting into Bristol. Maybe I’ll run into you but I’ll be down in Plymouth.

The notice for work is what’s tricky, I won’t even be able to move holidays to cover me as someone else has that week off.
I had a provisional offer in bristol too, but I'm still waiting to hear if I passed security clearance... it's getting kinda worrying.
Reply 36
Original post by Sebosaurus
I had a provisional offer in bristol too, but I'm still waiting to hear if I passed security clearance... it's getting kinda worrying.

Forgot to mention they said that you can be brought in on a conditional offer if your clearance hasn’t come through in time 😁.
Fingers crossed! I got asked for coverall sizes etc but seems daft to order all this in before formal offers
Original post by beehall
Forgot to mention they said that you can be brought in on a conditional offer if your clearance hasn’t come through in time 😁.
Fingers crossed! I got asked for coverall sizes etc but seems daft to order all this in before formal offers

Ahh thats good to know, at least we wouldn't be delayed any futher then September. Ahh so it sounds promising for you, its good to talk to someone in the same boat 👌
Reply 38
Have you heard yet? I’m trying not to get excited!
It’s difficult as it starts in 3 weeks and I have to give my work 2 weeks notice and I still haven’t heard. Also moving house as I 100% could not commute (240 mile round trip).
Reply 39
Original post by beehall
Have you heard yet? I’m trying not to get excited!
It’s difficult as it starts in 3 weeks and I have to give my work 2 weeks notice and I still haven’t heard. Also moving house as I 100% could not commute (240 mile round trip).

No still not 100% secure offer. I am waiting to hear some instructions on the first day or days. Are you moving to Bristol for Abbey Wood?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending