The Student Room Group

DE&S Engineering Management Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BT15
No still not 100% secure offer. I am waiting to hear some instructions on the first day or days. Are you moving to Bristol for Abbey Wood?

Ah I’ve had a few emails but still awaiting the good old security clearance.
All being well I’ll be in the Devonport scheme so I’m moving to Plymouth.
How about you?
Original post by beehall
Have you heard yet? I’m trying not to get excited!
It’s difficult as it starts in 3 weeks and I have to give my work 2 weeks notice and I still haven’t heard. Also moving house as I 100% could not commute (240 mile round trip).

Hey, unfortunately I hadn't heard back yet, I am very tempted to walk into the the site and talk to someone from reception. Are you moving house just for the mod, it would be horrible if you didn't get the job, but still have to move to a new location. But fingers crossed anyway. Do you think I should walk in?
Reply 42
Original post by Sebosaurus
Hey, unfortunately I hadn't heard back yet, I am very tempted to walk into the the site and talk to someone from reception. Are you moving house just for the mod, it would be horrible if you didn't get the job, but still have to move to a new location. But fingers crossed anyway. Do you think I should walk in?

I wouldn’t walk in. They are sorting it but potentially the vetting dept. have to clear 80 apprentices. The vetting is a separate dept to the apprenticeships team too and I’m not sure there’s much they can do. I’m going to wait until next week and send an email as that’s when I’d really have to look at moving. It’s a tricky situation but out of my hands and I don’t want to bug them. I can’t imagine we’re the only ones in this position.
Did you get a reply to your email?
Original post by beehall
I wouldn’t walk in. They are sorting it but potentially the vetting dept. have to clear 80 apprentices. The vetting is a separate dept to the apprenticeships team too and I’m not sure there’s much they can do. I’m going to wait until next week and send an email as that’s when I’d really have to look at moving. It’s a tricky situation but out of my hands and I don’t want to bug them. I can’t imagine we’re the only ones in this position.
Did you get a reply to your email?

Ahh fair enough then, nah I haven't had any emails back yet... not sure what to do, but just wait around.
Reply 44
Ahh fair enough then, nah I haven't had any emails back yet... not sure what to do, but just wait around.

Still haven't heard yet either, hopefully in the next week. Atleast we are all in the same position!
Original post by BT15
Still haven't heard yet either, hopefully in the next week. Atleast we are all in the same position!

Hello everyone! I hope everyone has received the good news, I got an email this morning about joining instructions for the first month of the apprenticeship, and a couple of forms I have to fill out and bring with me to a presentation. However there was no mention of the security clearance, so I think it is still ongoing.
Reply 46
Morning
I emailed the team following a a delay in my vetting meaning it won’t be completed before we start.
I’m waiting to hear back on whether I will get a conditional offer. Fingers crossed as I’d be gutted if it’s a no.
Reply 47
Hello everyone! I hope everyone has received the good news, I got an email this morning about joining instructions for the first month of the apprenticeship, and a couple of forms I have to fill out and bring with me to a presentation. However there was no mention of the security clearance, so I think it is still ongoing.

Yes! Same
Reply 48

Ah yes! It’s exciting but it says that our offers are still provisional. I hope it’s soon
Hi, is anybody else relocating to Bristol and if so, how are you going about arranging accommodation? I’ve just had my joining instructions and I’m now in a rush looking for a place to stay?
Reply 50
Original post by Cameron_B
Hi, is anybody else relocating to Bristol and if so, how are you going about arranging accommodation? I’ve just had my joining instructions and I’m now in a rush looking for a place to stay?

I got my joining instructions yesterday but I’m relocating to Plymouth. Trouble is I’m reluctant to actually find somewhere to move as on my instructions it still says my offer is provisions and I’m getting quite confused.
i was told I’d hear by end of today about a conditional offer as my clearance still isn’t finished so I do want to go ahead with a flat.

Ive been searching for a few flats though so if I get the go ahead I can contact the estate agents to go and see the apartment and poss try and get it.
If I can’t move in ASAP then I’ll have to stay in an air B and B or something until I can.
The late notice is tricky isn’t it?
How far are you relocating?
I’m over 4 hours away and so yes it’s really tricky to know what to do for the best. Is anyone relocating to Bristol?
Reply 52
Original post by Cameron_B
I’m over 4 hours away and so yes it’s really tricky to know what to do for the best. Is anyone relocating to Bristol?

I’m just under 4 hours.
Not sure about the Bristol start day but only a week left for me 😁
I received a conditional offer and a subsequent health questionnaire but then nothing.After emailing them and then receiving a phone call, it turned out they were still waiting on the BPSS Check which should have been emailed to me, but I hadn't received anything.They essentially told me that they are trying to chase it up their end but that I might not be able to start the apprenticeship because they need that check.So I'm now left wondering what the hell happened and feeling extremely frustrated about the whole thing.Anyone else in the same boat, or did you all eventually receive the check?I would hate to think that I'm the only one.
Reply 54
Original post by Temp0009
I received a conditional offer and a subsequent health questionnaire but then nothing.After emailing them and then receiving a phone call, it turned out they were still waiting on the BPSS Check which should have been emailed to me, but I hadn't received anything.They essentially told me that they are trying to chase it up their end but that I might not be able to start the apprenticeship because they need that check.So I'm now left wondering what the hell happened and feeling extremely frustrated about the whole thing.Anyone else in the same boat, or did you all eventually receive the check?I would hate to think that I'm the only one.

Did you have a provisional offer before this?
i had a provisional offer in March but only got the conditional offer on Tuesday as the security clearance is still not complete.
i filled all the forms out like health questionnaire etc in March and April but my security clearance still wasn’t finished so hence conditional.
I can empathise with you on the whole stress side of it, I have had a week to try to find a flat and everything which has been really hard as I’m relocating 4 hours.
Have you filled out the security clearance forms or have you only just heard about the job?
Original post by beehall
Did you have a provisional offer before this?
i had a provisional offer in March but only got the conditional offer on Tuesday as the security clearance is still not complete.
i filled all the forms out like health questionnaire etc in March and April but my security clearance still wasn’t finished so hence conditional.
I can empathise with you on the whole stress side of it, I have had a week to try to find a flat and everything which has been really hard as I’m relocating 4 hours.
Have you filled out the security clearance forms or have you only just heard about the job?

Hey,
I should have said provisional since that's what it says in the email (July). It then said that they were conducting pre-employment checks and that they would make a formal offer once those checks were completed. I received the health questionnaire about a month later but nothing since.

I haven't filled out any security clearance forms but I was told that that's what the BPSS Check involves.

From what you've said, and from what they told me over the phone, it sounds like there were some issues with either sending out the checks, processing them, or both.

I was told that it might be possible to start slightly later if they can get the checks sorted, but that it's possible I won't be allowed to start at all. It would be particularly crushing to have such a golden opportunity just ebb away without any real explanation as to why.
Reply 56
Hey,
I should have said provisional since that's what it says in the email (July). It then said that they were conducting pre-employment checks and that they would make a formal offer once those checks were completed. I received the health questionnaire about a month later but nothing since.

I haven't filled out any security clearance forms but I was told that that's what the BPSS Check involves.

From what you've said, and from what they told me over the phone, it sounds like there were some issues with either sending out the checks, processing them, or both.

I was told that it might be possible to start slightly later if they can get the checks sorted, but that it's possible I won't be allowed to start at all. It would be particularly crushing to have such a golden opportunity just ebb away without any real explanation as to why.

That really sucks! Potentially could you get a place for next year if it all went wrong? Are you for Plymouth or Bristol?
I guess all you can do is fill out any forms and hope. I think perhaps the BPSS is part of the security clearance and that if there is definitely not enough time to finish a clearance that they just at minimum for immediate employment want to do the BPSS.
I really hope it works out for you, if you’re happy to catch up on the work then hopefully they’ll let you start late?
Original post by beehall
That really sucks! Potentially could you get a place for next year if it all went wrong? Are you for Plymouth or Bristol?
I guess all you can do is fill out any forms and hope. I think perhaps the BPSS is part of the security clearance and that if there is definitely not enough time to finish a clearance that they just at minimum for immediate employment want to do the BPSS.
I really hope it works out for you, if you’re happy to catch up on the work then hopefully they’ll let you start late?

Bristol for me. I'm hoping they would allow me to bypass the selection process and start next year if not, but i don't know for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind starting late if that's possible.
So yeah, back to the waiting game again haha.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 58
Bristol for me. I'm hoping they would allow me to bypass the selection process and start next year if not, but i don't know for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind starting late if that's possible.
So yeah, back to the waiting game again haha.

Starting late is better than starting the next year but I suppose either way you still have the opportunity. I hope it works out ok. I was getting frustrated waiting with a week still to go so I can only imagine how stressed you are but I guess it’s just a case of waiting for them, it’s out of our control.
Will you have to commute/move?
Original post by beehall
Starting late is better than starting the next year but I suppose either way you still have the opportunity. I hope it works out ok. I was getting frustrated waiting with a week still to go so I can only imagine how stressed you are but I guess it’s just a case of waiting for them, it’s out of our control.
Will you have to commute/move?

I live in Bath so getting to AW for the induction wasn't going to be too much of an issue but Bridgwater is another matter. I was thinking of finding a place there for that first year if possible but was waiting for the formal job offer before committing. In any case, I'm glad I didn't hand in my notice and put a deposit down! Are you all set now then or did you say you're still waiting on the clearance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending