Jazz?

Watch this thread
Kater Murr
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
...Who you like?

Me likey Charlie Parker a lot.
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 14 years ago
The Bird is wonderful - also Miles Davies, Dizzy Gillespie and Lester Young, but I must admit that these days I find Bebop too challenging to relax to. I've just transferred my Duke Ellington vinyl collection to the computer to burn onto CDs and listening to it all again was sublime. Also really into Basie atm. :cool:
ChiefNX
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
I'm a big fan of Dave Brubeck and his quartet.

Also, amongst others: John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Milt Jackson, Modern Jazz Quartet, Jacques Loussier, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver...
Kater Murr
Rep:
Dave Brubeck i find a bit plain, to be honest.

John Coltrane is utterly fantastic. But I agree, sometimes bebop isn't the most relaxing, so for that I have Chet baker and Cannonball Adderley
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Return To Forever are excellent; The Mahavishnu Orchestra, also, if you're partial to 'jazz-fusion' and can approach with an open mind.
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Lester Young
Miles Davies
Tony Woods
Benny Goodman
Fats Waller
Kolya
Badges: 17
Report 14 years ago
Lots of great names have already been mentioned, but two that haven't are: Sonny Rollins, and Stan Getz.
ChiefNX
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
And stephane grappelli - forgot him. Amazing musician.
Kater Murr
Rep:
Stan Getz?
I never really got that one.
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BornUnderPunches)
Stan Getz?
I never really got that one.
How to make the baritone sax really cool. And if you like the East Coast sound how about Chuck Manjeone on flugel.
ukebert
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Ooh, Ooh, Wassisface on the Bass Sax Uh, something about Dogs.
M'Lady
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Frank Sinatra
Nat King Cole
Aretha Franklin
Nina Simone
Miles Davis(sp?)
Kater Murr
Rep:
^^ No, that is how you spell it.

I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned Chet yet...
M'Lady
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
^^ No, that is how you spell it.

I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned Chet yet...
Thanks
PlaystationStudies
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Dave Brubeck i find a bit plain, to be honest.

John Coltrane is utterly fantastic. But I agree, sometimes bebop isn't the most relaxing, so for that I have Chet baker and Cannonball Adderley
I'm glad you mentioned Cannonball. What a (should be) legend. His pre Joe Zawinul era stuff is pure genius. Even his electric stuff is pretty good, though I prefer the old sound.
Kater Murr
Rep:
(Original post by PlaystationStudies)
I'm glad you mentioned Cannonball. What a (should be) legend. His pre Joe Zawinul era stuff is pure genius. Even his electric stuff is pretty good, though I prefer the old sound.
His version of 'Autumn Leaves' is the best I've heard yet.
ukebert
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Cool song Although I haven't heard his version.
Kater Murr
Rep:
(Original post by ukebert)
Cool song Although I haven't heard his version.
Gerry Mulligan's was also good... which version have you heard?
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Ella Fitzgerald is great

I have loads of jazz on my computer, and yet beyond Fitzgerald I can't think of anything in particular as such. I'll get back to you
Kolya
Badges: 17
Report 14 years ago
Which version of his, though?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads