The Student Room Group

Help Year 11

I've looked online but its useless. So I'm giving this a go... I'm in the last few weeks of year 10 and really want to leave school because I need a new start and move to another for year 11. I've been told it may effect my future (GCSE) but if it can help me should I? Has anyone moved in year 11?
Reply 1
Original post by Shantel2000
I've looked online but its useless. So I'm giving this a go... I'm in the last few weeks of year 10 and really want to leave school because I need a new start and move to another for year 11. I've been told it may effect my future (GCSE) but if it can help me should I? Has anyone moved in year 11?

Who told you that it will effect your future and did they tell you how?
Reply 2
Original post by S2M
Who told you that it will effect your future and did they tell you how?

My Dad is worried about if I move then I will start failing classes and GCSE will be low grades because they might not teach me the same. But I don't know ?

Why is it that you need a new start? My only concern is that it would interfere with the studies you'll be undertaking in Year 11 as continuation to your Year 10 work but if you really feel the need, then maybe it's for the best.

Also, consider that Year 11 is a shorter year in comparison to the others in the sense that you get a longer Summer and you feel like you're doing less work since you'll be revising a lot in class. It goes by quicker than you think. You could always move after GCSEs and do VI Form/college/??? elsewhere if you really need a fresh start (that's what I'm doing).
Reply 4
My Dad is worried about if I move then I will start failing classes and GCSE will be low grades because they might not teach me the same. But I don't know ?

Visit the school and the teachers to get an idea of what school life will be like over there. If you have a good feeling that the teaching will be better there then go do it. If it's not, then you can revise by yourself at home or take extra classes/support after school. :smile: However, consider the fact that also you only have a year left and it will go pass really quick. You could stay in the same school for GCSE's but then move for your A-Levels?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lucylai26
Why is it that you need a new start? My only concern is that it would interfere with the studies you'll be undertaking in Year 11 as continuation to your Year 10 work but if you really feel the need, then maybe it's for the best.

Also, consider that Year 11 is a shorter year in comparison to the others in the sense that you get a longer Summer and you feel like you're doing less work since you'll be revising a lot in class. It goes by quicker than you think. You could always move after GCSEs and do VI Form/college/??? elsewhere if you really need a fresh start (that's what I'm doing).

I understand what you are saying. The reason why I a new start is because ever since year 8 had trouble finding good friends who I can be with at lunch and break. I've changed about 4-5 friend groups now and there isn't many left I could go with. I wanted to move at start of year 10 but I found a group. Sadly, it didn't last and now I have one person who I like to go with and I'm with her friends now but we haven't got a lot in common. I know this will all be over in a year or so but I don't want to end up miserable...
Reply 6
Original post by S2M
Visit the school and the teachers to get an idea of what school life will be like over there. If you have a good feeling that the teaching will be better there then go do it. If it's not, then you can revise by yourself at home or take extra classes/support after school. :smile: However, consider the fact that also you only have a year left and it will go pass really quick. You could stay in the same school for GCSE's but then move for your A-Levels?

I totally get what you are saying. I hope Year 11 will be quick. I'm considering moving for A- level to a local school. I will ask my parent about looking at the school. Do you think I can visit in the summer or does it have to be during school?
I understand what you are saying. The reason why I a new start is because ever since year 8 had trouble finding good friends who I can be with at lunch and break. I've changed about 4-5 friend groups now and there isn't many left I could go with. I wanted to move at start of year 10 but I found a group. Sadly, it didn't last and now I have one person who I like to go with and I'm with her friends now but we haven't got a lot in common. I know this will all be over in a year or so but I don't want to end up miserable...

It's important to value your happiness over academia however perhaps moving schools will compromise both your happiness (if you still do not make new friends) as well as your academia because moving will inevitably hamper your studies to a degree. Equally, trying to learn whilst in an unhappy state and environment in the school you're currently attending may still damage your grades.

From personal experience, new people who move schools in year 11 are less likely to join a solid friendship group, so moving schools is not necessarily the answer. Personally, I think you'll be better off staying in your school and enduring one more year of it (and year 11 is literally too busy to be worrying about friends). You could then change schools at sixth form as there will be many new people joining the sixth form so you wont be out of place. However, ultimately it is your decision to make and balance out whether you're willing to take the risk and join a new school in year 11; it's obviously inadvisable but with hard work you may still get good grades and form a solid friendship group.
Moving during the GCSE years is proably the most time educationally to move. Your new school may not do the same exam board or even subject. Also if you have coursework it really messes it up.
I would say just stick out another year
Hi, I was in a similar situation. I really recommend for you to stay. Hear me out, I know it will be hard but please remember year 11 flies by, your school might even have study leave meaning you wont even have to attend school for the whole year. Also it seems to me that you do care about your grades and let me tell you having friends means socializing and being distracted- so you can use this to your advantage and revise effectively. If you do change schools, remember that the school might not have the same exam board for al your subjects meaning you might have to learn a completely new syllabus in less than a year for every subject. I recommend holding on, you can do it. I'm in year 11 now and im so glad i didnt move schools. I would be under so much stress. Keep your head held high : )
Maybe if your school has library you can stay there at lunch/break
I really appreciate your advice Everyone ! Thank you so much. I think I'm going to stick with my school it may turn out to be really great I suppose. I really don't want to mess up my grades or make my situation worse if I move. Thank you everyone for answers
Original post by doorhandle123
Maybe if your school has library you can stay there at lunch/break
For now, I hang with a few people who I'm okay with and one girl I'm quite close too so I'm going to see how it goes and if all else fails I'll turn to other options like library and hopefully there might be extra class at lunch or something

It might just be worth sticking it out. I was in pretty much the same situation as you but you'll end up finding people are too busy with revision and exams to worry too much about conflicts in friendships too much. And like I said, the year goes by so quickly (trust me). I managed to stick it out for that period of time so I'm confident you'll be able to. Remember to work hard so you can give yourself a variety of post GCSE options once you've finished Year 11.
Original post by lucylai26
It might just be worth sticking it out. I was in pretty much the same situation as you but you'll end up finding people are too busy with revision and exams to worry too much about conflicts in friendships too much. And like I said, the year goes by so quickly (trust me). I managed to stick it out for that period of time so I'm confident you'll be able to. Remember to work hard so you can give yourself a variety of post GCSE options once you've finished Year 11.
I think I am going to stick it out. I'm going to keep focusing on the future and hopefully I can stay with a group for the year while doing GCSE. at er that I probably won't see them so it shouldn't matter too much it just sucks when your living in the moment but I think with faith I can get through 😊
Of course you can!!!!! In about 2 years most people you interacted with in high school, you would have forgotten about. Make sure you revise and come out with excellent grades and then get a really good job and live a great life. You can do amazing things, don't let this drag you down!
Original post by doorhandle123
Of course you can!!!!! In about 2 years most people you interacted with in high school, you would have forgotten about. Make sure you revise and come out with excellent grades and then get a really good job and live a great life. You can do amazing things, don't let this drag you down!
thank you! This has given me a different perspective and I appreciate your kindness 💙
tt'thave't

Honestly, I am in the same situation exactly. I was bullied quite frequently until year 9 (the start) but even so it's not like I have many "friends". The people I hang out with sometimes are okay but they have said things that have emotionally impacted me but anyway

It is quite a debate whether to go for academic reasons or the prospect of happiness. There's only than one year left of school anyway and all those four years were hard but to be honest they passed quick. So I would stay if I were you. I am planning on moving for sixth form and my school doesn't have one anyway.

Also they may be doing different exam boards, which could mean slightly to totally different content. This would put extra pressure on you I presume if you had to catch up to all that work because it's a lot. Secondly unfortunately it's not guaranteed you will make great friends in Year 11, that's another reason why I did not leave
Original post by reinaadira
tt'thave't

Honestly, I am in the same situation exactly. I was bullied quite frequently until year 9 (the start) but even so it's not like I have many "friends". The people I hang out with sometimes are okay but they have said things that have emotionally impacted me but anyway

It is quite a debate whether to go for academic reasons or the prospect of happiness. There's only than one year left of school anyway and all those four years were hard but to be honest they passed quick. So I would stay if I were you. I am planning on moving for sixth form and my school doesn't have one anyway.

Also they may be doing different exam boards, which could mean slightly to totally different content. This would put extra pressure on you I presume if you had to catch up to all that work because it's a lot. Secondly unfortunately it's not guaranteed you will make great friends in Year 11, that's another reason why I did not leave

Thank you for commenting. I'm so sorry you were bullied, I didn't go through what you had to .. compared to you I can't complain. I'm sticking this year out I think now I have thought hard I'm going to stay. I can't wait for the day I finish lol 😊 and I hope that the rest of the school years for you all work out for the best. 😊

One year is left. Just stick out. Im an a level student now. Trust me the time goes by so quickly. U'll be ok. Go to the library at lunch/break & focus on diff hobbies and go to clubs possibly? Or make friends with lower years..?!

Quick Reply

Latest