Turn on thread page Beta

How hard did you work for your GCSES and what grades did you get? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm currently in year 10 and I'm wondering how hard you need to work for top grades so it would be brilliant if you could answer the following questions
    1) What were your GCSE grades?
    2)What grades did you get in your mocks?
    3)What grades were you predicted?
    4) When did you start revising and how much did you do a day?
    5) How did you revise?

If you could answer these questions honestly that would honestly be brilliant towards me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annonomus)
    Hello I'm currently in year 10 and I'm wondering how hard you need to work for top grades so it would be brilliant if you could answer the following questions
    5) How did you revise?

If you could answer these questions honestly that would honestly be brilliant towards me
    1) 7Bs and 4Cs
    2) Can't remember, probably Ds and Es
    3) I think I was predicted mainly Cs, also can't remember. I did my GCSEs 3 years ago.
    4) Tbh I started revising like a week or 2 before my first exam. I do not recommend this for anyone
    5) I went through my revision guides for the sciences and did no past paper, I don't know how I got Bs tbh. For maths I did 1 past paper the night before each exam and got a B overall

In general, do not be lazy like me because if I worked hard I would have gotten better grades. Laziness in GCSEs are usually carried onto A Levels which is definitely bad, I learnt that the hard way that's for sure.
    Good luck, revise as you go

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got my results yet but I can share some of my older friends results.

One of them got 8 A* and 3As (I think, or something like that) He started revising around 2-3 months before the exam. I think in his mocks he got a mix of A* and As(more As than A*) and a B which he was happy about but later improved.

Another of my friends (Yes, I have more than one friend ) Did revision literally night before and ended up with a A*s a few As and 1 or 2 Bs. In his mocks he got an A*, a few As, 2 Bs and a C. I don't know how much he revised for the mocks.

Now for the last question about how they revised, I dont know the full details but for maths the first one just did past papers, im unsure of what the other did but I think he did past papers too, for science flash cards and freesciencelessons and I know **** all about the rest so I will fill in with how I revised (although I have not got my results yet) I watched videos and took notes and looked over notes before exam and rewatched videos of topics im unsure of. I did this 1-2 days before the exam so it stays in my head but I highly advise against this, I only did this because I get distracted very easily and I am very forgetful.

ReputationRep:
    1) A*, 8 A's, B
    2) A*, A, 3 B, 4 C's, D
    3) A*, 3 A's, 5 B's, C
    4) Night before for all except, Biology and History which I started about 3 days before
    5) I re-wrote the revision guide in note form and highlighted the key words in the revision guide
    I wish I'd done more work, I did well yes but I could have done so much better, the two subjects I revised for I did out of spite for my teachers because I wanted to do better than they were predicting me to do (Bio teacher told my friends to not talk to me as I'd be lucky if I got an F, got an A in the end). Don't do what I did, don't ask me how I winged it but I did, take me as an example of what not to do!

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

1) 3 A*s, 7 As
    2) Can't remember
    3) A* for maths and German, A for everything else
    4) Evening before the exam, about 30-60 minutes
    5) Read my class notes

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

1) 2As* 2As 5Bs 1C
    2) Mostly Bs and C with 1 A
    3) 1A* 3As 5Bs 1C
    4) Started a bit late and did from 10 till 6
    5) Cards and past papers and procastination

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

1) 4 A*s, 2 As, 4 Bs
    2) I believe I got 2 A*s, 2 As and 5 Bs and a C (bear in mind this C was in English Lit, and in the real thing I got an A* - do not worry about mock results, they don't always reflect your actual knowledge on the subject)
    3) I was predicted around 3-4 A*s, 1 A, and 5-6 Bs
    4) I started revising mainly during the gaps between my GCSE exams for example I didn't start my History revision until they were the exams next... really do not recommend anyone to do this but I had a bad work ethic which has since improved - however for subjects like Maths we started revising in lessons at around March time
    5) Past papers. Found these the easiest way to revise as I had completely finished learning the spec, so anything that I didn't understand I coud look in my school notes to see where I went wrong.

Unfortunately GCSE grades really do not signal your intelligence at all - most are just memory games, so you need to find out how you can memorise vast amounts of facts in a short-ish period of time. My recommendation however is to make very clean notes which are organised well, so that when you start writing up revision notes/flash cards, it's easy to find out where to get the relevant information.

ReputationRep:
    8A*s, 2As, 1C (The C was in Art)

Mostly Bs and Cs, a couple As in my best subjects

Split between As and A*s

I started revising too late! About two-three weeks before exams and I also revised solidly during exams and through half term. When I was revising, I ended up doing many hours a day. Probably 5-6 hours on weekends, maybe more, and then about 2-3 hours on a weekday after school (I don't think I revised after school if I had an exam that day unless I needed to; which I did, towards the end)

5) How did you revise?
    For maths, I did past papers. That's basically it, though I also did a couple exercises in a practise book. I found it was a really good way to start revising as maths isn't full on writing. For science, I made bullet point notes out of my revision guides, and I did the same for music. I did no revision for English Lit or Lang, and Lit was one of my As. Now, I would recommend rereading your books and looking at key themes and scenes on Sparknotes. Your teachers may tell you not to, but you can. Also write frequent practise essays to improve speed, fluency and technique.

For German I did lots of vocab learning on a website called Memrise, my teacher put all our course vocab up on there but if you ask for a list of vocab you can probably make a course yourself. In history, I made bullet points from the notes we were given (we had typed up notes from our teacher) and made timelines of dates on my laptop. For RE I learnt the exam techniques and typed up notes from the revision guides we were given.

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

1) 9A*s 2As
    2) 7A* 3As 1B
    3) 4A* 4A/A* 2A
    4) I revised very hard for my mocks so i got a lot of my revision done in that time. From year 9 I had end of year exams and thus had made notes for my science GCSes throughout the three years (my gcse course started in year 9 for science) and then revised the notes during February half term. I also made notes from the start of year 10 fro History. I revised somewhat during february half term but i did intense revision from Easter Holiday's onwards.
    5) I kind of answered this in my previous answer. I am not sure how new GCSEs work entirely but for Maths I went from 38% B, borderline C in Mocks to 90% A* in my GCSE purely from doing every single past paper from every spec I could find, answering relevant questions. I wrote notes throughout the years for my subjects so i could revise them and concentrate on doing past papers. For GCSEs Past papers are the way to go. If you do not have past papers then use specimen papers, other specs and answer relevant questions and ask your teacher to set you questions.

ReputationRep:
    1) 2 A*s, 9 As, 1 B
    2) I think 7A*s, 5 As
    3) 11 A*s, 1 A.........
    4 & 5) I pretty much did 0 work. I only revised for science and I got a B in that, so

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

1) Triple science - AAA
    Maths - A*
    English Literature - A
    German - A*
    English Language - B
    Business Studies - B
    PE - C
    French - C

2) Mocks (shocking I know):

Triple science - DDE
    Maths - C
    English Literature - C
    German - A* (this is my second language lol)
    English Language - D
    Business studies - D
    PE - E
    French - E

3) Barely remember but it was something really similar to what I got in the mocks (they were terrible and stopped me from getting into any grammar schools lol)

4) Started revising like March kinda time. Dunno how much it was probably like 2 or 3 hours a day

5) For GCSE I just used CGP books and nothing else. Literally just recited the facts and spat them back out for the exams. It's nothing but a memory test really (i think they might be harder now though lol). I focused on maths and sciences, and did literally next to nothing for my other subjects but it all kinda fell into place idk I just stopped ****ing around in class etc. Didn't do any pastpapers for any of these exams, just focused on CGP religiously and nothing else. I switched up the gameplan for A-Levels though and now I'm predicted AAAA

ReputationRep:
    X
    A*AABBBBBBCCC (1A*, 2As, 6Bs and 3C's)

Can't remember tbh

Mainly Bs and a few As

Depended on the subject really, for some (e.g. Science) I didnt really bother revising whilst others (Geography, French and Spanish) I concentrated my revision on. Didnt really revise until a few weeks before exams tbh

5) How did you revise?
    Past papers and mind maps

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

Honesty really is the best policy for me right now - I'm fasting
    My GCSE grades surprised me the most so I'll be as honest as I can be!

1) My GCSE grades were 6 A*s and 5 As.

2) I usually had very similar results in my mocks leading up to my exams, a few of my subjects I didn't really have mocks for so it tended to be solely a teacher's prediction and coursework.

3) Slightly less A*s and a few more As.

4) Honestly I'm not one of those natural revisers that can make flashcards and such months and to an extent several weeks beforehand. I started revising in the few weeks building up to the main exam period as well as half term which was actually nicely positioned between a bulk of exams!

5) My main tip when revising is to do as many practice papers and questions as possible. My method was slightly backwards - I revise from mark schemes as not only do you understand what examiners expect (and obviously get the answers) but it also helps you go through content - particularly helpful if you're stuck on a specific part.

Add colour to your work! The more visually engaging your work is, from my experience anyway, the more inclined you are to pick it up and revise as opposed to trying to justify procrastination (like me ).

Overall, I'd recommend a flexible revision timetable with a range of revision techniques but a specific focus on practice questions.

All the best, I'm sure it'll all work out for you
    (If you want the individual GCSEs listed just let me know).

ReputationRep:
    1) Actual grades: 12 A*s
    2) Mocks: Didn't even have mocks for all my subjects but i think i got like 4A*, 3A and 2 B
    3) Predicted 8A* and 4A
    4) Started revising properly in March although i had started at the beginning of Feb but wasn't doing anything useful for a whole month
    5) Just did different things for each subject as they all require different approaches

If anyone wants proof just ask xD

ReputationRep:
    5) How did you revise?

1. 11A* 1A (OCR Additional Maths)
    2. 10A* 2A (OCR Additional Maths and Chinese)
    3. 11A* 1A
    4. I did most of my revision for my January mocks and then just revised the night before for a few hours.
    5. Questions and revision from the textbook

ReputationRep:
    1. 13 A*s (turns out guardian angels are real ;D)

2. The grades varied quite a bit for my mocks (who revises for mocks? ). I think most were A*-B, but I definitely got at least one D, lol.

3. I was predicted 12 A*s and one A.

4. I worked hard pretty consistently throughout year 10 and 11, which meant I got away with not revising terribly hard until the last minute. I'd never recommend cramming as a good revision strategy, but that was basically what I did. I don't think I ever did a specific number of hours per day...Knowing me, I probably left it until three days before the exam, then tackled a third of the content per day. Whoops.
    Basically, I'd be very surprised if I started revising more than a month before the exam.

5. My revision strategies changed depending on the subject. For example, I revised for the French oral by forcing my mum to speak only in French with me the evening before (bless her, she did actually go along with it).

Teaching the content to someone else/having one of your friends teach a topic to you can be really useful. If you're the teacher, then your pupil's questions will really test how well you know the subject, and it'll help you realise where there are gaps in your knowledge. If you're the pupil, then you might learn a new way of approaching the subject from your friend.

Umm, what else...probably the best advice I can give you is to have clever friends who make beautiful exam notes/powerpoints that cover the whole specification, and then steal those. You may laugh, but it works. Alternatively, you could make said beautiful notes/powerpoints yourself, but I never got around to doing that.

I got pretty lucky, because my teachers gave me several exam papers per subject to do over the half term break that 'HAD' to be done by the first lesson back. Being such a goody-two-shoes, I did them all, and that's genuinely the best revision you can do. (Obviously I procrastinated, so that meant having to churn out four papers per day in order to get them done in time...but it worked!)

Tl;dr - past papers ftw!

Good luck with GCSEs! You seem like a pretty conscientious student, so all I ask is that you please remember to protect your mental health throughout the next few years. It can be stressful at times, but hopefully you'll manage to keep this all in perspective and not get brought down too much.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zaydy3)
    1) Actual grades: 12 A*s
    2) Mocks: Didn't even have mocks for all my subjects but i think i got like 4A*, 3A and 2 B
    3) Predicted 8A* and 4A
    4) Started revising properly in March although i had started at the beginning of Feb but wasn't doing anything useful for a whole month
    5) Just did different things for each subject as they all require different approaches

If anyone wants proof just ask xD
    What different approaches did you take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    What different approaches did you take?
    Okay so like maths i made sure i knew how to do each time of skill like just went through a textbook which just went over everything e.g. factorising, areas of shapes idk i do a level so can't remember what was even in GCSE haha

English: learnt quotes and annotated the books and practice essays and papers

R.e: Made mini books for each topic on all the keywords etc

geography: again made a book with all of the content for each subtopic e.g. natural hazards, population and settlement and rivers and coasts and then made cue cards for case studies

Science: annotated the hell out of the CGP guides (which only will get you a B/C grade) with so much A* stuff that was missing till i had complete revision guides for bio chem and physics

errrrr further maths was so hard for me at the time so i crammed the whole textbook the weekend before making a mini book full of everything

Tbh i did revise the night before for a few but only cos i had been working hard all year i did well

ReputationRep:
    Science: annotated the hell out of the CGP guides (which only will get you a B/C grade) with so much A* stuff that was missing till i had complete revision guides for bio chem and physics
    On the contrary, I only made notes out of the CGP books and did a couple of past papers and I got A*A*A in my science GCSEs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Okay so like maths i made sure i knew how to do each time of skill like just went through a textbook which just went over everything e.g. factorising, areas of shapes idk i do a level so can't remember what was even in GCSE haha

English: learnt quotes and annotated the books and practice essays and papers

R.e: Made mini books for each topic on all the keywords etc

geography: again made a book with all of the content for each subtopic e.g. natural hazards, population and settlement and rivers and coasts and then made cue cards for case studies

errrrr further maths was so hard for me at the time so i crammed the whole textbook the weekend before making a mini book full of everything

Tbh i did revise the night before for a few but only cos i had been working hard all year i did well
    Thanks!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.