Saffron-Barton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have just started my A2 levels in biology, chemistry and physics with the hope to study veterinary medicine or physiotheray at university (starting September 2018). I have completed some work experience, am attending a Sutton Trust Summer School in the hoidays and currently work at my local stable yard.

I really want to start reading around my subjects and start to gain some veterinary knowledge; my teachers have suggested doing some further reading, not only out of interest but to strengthen my university application. Does anyone have any suggestions of magazines I can subscribe to or books that I could buy???
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saffron-Barton)
I have just started my A2 levels in biology, chemistry and physics with the hope to study veterinary medicine or physiotheray at university (starting September 2018). I have completed some work experience, am attending a Sutton Trust Summer School in the hoidays and currently work at my local stable yard.

I really want to start reading around my subjects and start to gain some veterinary knowledge; my teachers have suggested doing some further reading, not only out of interest but to strengthen my university application. Does anyone have any suggestions of magazines I can subscribe to or books that I could buy???
If you can get hold of any old vet records/vet times from a local practice those are often quite useful to read however you may struggle to understand some of it. You can't subscribe to them yourself however so you would have to borrow them. There are some good books you can read but I can't remember them sorry, someone else will be able to recommend those!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saffron-Barton)

There's a massive difference between vetmed and physiotherapy!
lwescott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Veterinary Physiotherapy, maybe?

I wouldn't worry too much about reading to gain veterinary knowledge 'cos textbooks are expensive and may go over your head but staying up to date with current affairs is a good idea.

As cliche as they are, have a read of the All Creatures Great and Small books; it's probably 10 years since I read them but I remember them being interesting.
Last year one of our vets said all vet students should read Black Box Thinking by Matthew Syed which I'll be reading on planes this summer. I was given a copy of Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer which I started to read but got annoyed by the ridiculous bias.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (275)
56.47%
I don't have everything I need (212)
43.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise