The Student Room Group

What are my university options?

Hi, I am currently approaching the end of year 12 and getting a bit worried about uni. I do Latin, Maths and R.S, and probably want to do anthropology or philosophy at university. I want to take a gap year. My GCSE grades were 2 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs. I've just taken my maths AS level, but the other two are linear courses and we are the first year doing them. I got to a free school, the first one in the UK, and I am at the top of my school (i.e there has never been a year above us, since year 7).

I want to go to uni in London, or nearby, as I live here.

I'm just not sure what kind of tier uni I should be looking at. My teachers like me and recognise that I have potential, but honestly I haven't done enough work this year. I think I will be predicted ABB, AAB or maybe AAA. I am doing EPQ. Just done my end of year internal exams.

It's probably hard for you to tell, but I just need to know where to aim for.
With AAA pretty much any uni in the top 20 but this depends on the course you are doing AAB/ABB and you are looking at top 30 unis but again this is relative to what course you are doing.
Original post by bic_
Hi, I am currently approaching the end of year 12 and getting a bit worried about uni. I do Latin, Maths and R.S, and probably want to do anthropology or philosophy at university. I want to take a gap year. My GCSE grades were 2 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs. I've just taken my maths AS level, but the other two are linear courses and we are the first year doing them. I got to a free school, the first one in the UK, and I am at the top of my school (i.e there has never been a year above us, since year 7).

I want to go to uni in London, or nearby, as I live here.

I'm just not sure what kind of tier uni I should be looking at. My teachers like me and recognise that I have potential, but honestly I haven't done enough work this year. I think I will be predicted ABB, AAB or maybe AAA. I am doing EPQ. Just done my end of year internal exams.

It's probably hard for you to tell, but I just need to know where to aim for.

The caliber of universities you will be applying to basically all comes down to your predicted grades. You will generally be advised to apply for 2 uni's above, 1 equal to, and 2 below your predicted grades. If you put in the work from the start of year 13 its actually hard not to get an A; its the people who leave it till the last minute who tend to struggle. Persuade your teachers to give you the highest predicted grades possible and that will open your options right up.

By the way, not sure if you're familiar with the UCAS system but the predicted grades are only used to get you the initial offer from the uni's, you will then have to actually achieve the offer so there is no point putting down absurdly high predictions. In your field, AAA will get you in to every uni apart from maybe Oxbridge who usually want 1 A* in there somewhere (potentially not, not sure)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending