The Student Room Group

TEF published: How highly-rated is teaching at your uni?

Bronze:

LSE
Cumbria
Liverpool
Southampton
Plymouth

Gold:
Oxford
Cambridge
Lincoln

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/tefoutcomes/#/

Article explaining the TEF is here
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feel sorry for the student who ends up picking Lincoln over somewhere like LSE just because the former has a gold medal.

Congratulations on destroying years of established reputation and status quo...

The guardian will love this I bet.
Reply 2
Final nail in the coffin for Liverpool? That poor University. How it has suffered in the rankings, and now this!
Original post by Voi
Final nail in the coffin for Liverpool? That poor University. How it has suffered in the rankings, and now this!

Liverpool Hope Gold
Edge Hill Gold
City of Liverpool College Gold
Liverpool Institute for the Performing Arts Gold

Liverpool John Moores Silver

University of Liverpool Bronze
Is there something in the water in the East Midlands?

University of Nottingham Gold
Nottingham Trent Gold
Derby Gold
Loughborough Gold
De Montfort Gold
Lincoln Gold
Bishop Grossteste Gold
Northampton Gold

University of Leicester Silver
Seems a solid way to rank unis where lincoln gets gold and lse gets bronze,wafflers
Glad my uni got Gold, shame that it doesn't mean anything
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Seems a solid way to rank unis where lincoln gets gold and lse gets bronze,wafflers

Do you have any evidence base that the teaching at LSE is better than that at Lincoln?

There are no marks for research and there are more silk purses at LSE and more sows ears at Lincoln
Original post by nulli tertius
Do you have any evidence base that the teaching at LSE is better than that at Lincoln?

There are no marks for research and there are more silk purses at LSE and more sows ears at Lincoln

Whilst it is true that students who go to top performing unis and RGs can teach themselves content more easily and so students get good grades regardless of apparent poor teaching standards,but no i have no proof that lincoln`s teaching is worse than LSEs, but i find it hard to believe. What do you think of the TEF?
I was thinking of applying to Liverpool, but now I see it got bronze I'm thinking of doing my physics degree at the Chicken Shed Theatre Trust, which got silver.
Reply 10
Very interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Northampton gets Gold? First time for everything, I suppose. :lol:
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Whilst it is true that students who go to top performing unis and RGs can teach themselves content more easily and so students get good grades regardless of apparent poor teaching standards,but no i have no proof that lincoln`s teaching is worse than LSEs, but i find it hard to believe. What do you think of the TEF?

I am sure the methodology will be improved over time if it lasts, but I think it is an important antidote to the existing league tables that have allowed weak teaching universities to hide behind things that are irrelevant to the undergraduate experience rather than improve their teaching performance. At the end of the day it was going to be obvious that LSE was going to hammered and UCL was going to be, at best average, because that has been known anecdotally for years.

The Russell Group has been peddling for years the nonsense that it is important that students are taught where cutting edge research is undertaken when they know full well that these cutting edge researchers are doing little of the teaching. All these American parents who send their children to eyewateringly expensive liberal arts colleges prior to attending elite grad schools are unconcerned about cutting edge research being conducted in proximity to their offspring. The same is true for European governments which have poured money into student-free research institutes.

I don't think anyone is going to go to Lincoln in preference to LSE, but it is going to have an impact and the low scorers will struggle to claim excellence against their better performing peers.

We will have to see what the Advertising Standards Authority now does. It hammered Reading recently for claiming to be in the best 1% of universities in the world, which wasn't a bad claim but which rested on the unverified assumption that all the universities in the world not ranked by the various international rankings were less good than those that were (or at least ranked below Reading)
Original post by Edulcorante
I was thinking of applying to Liverpool, but now I see it got bronze I'm thinking of doing my physics degree at the Chicken Shed Theatre Trust, which got silver.

LJMU has thrown her neighbour a life ring with BSc Physics and Astronomy being taught in collaboration for several years...
Reply 14
Does this even mean anything?
Reply 15
Looking at the key domestic university league tables, how well have the top 10 universities done in TEF?

CUG:
6 out of the top 10 were awarded Golds.
Exceptions being:
LSE 4th, Bronze
Durham 6th, Silver
UCL 7th, Silver
Warwick 8th, Silver

The Guardian:
8 out of 11 (two tied at 10) Gold
Durham 4th, Silver
Warwick 8th, Silver
UCL 10th=, Silver

The Times Good University Guide:
6 out of 10 Gold
Durham 4th, Silver
UCL 6th, Silver
Warwick 7th, Silver
LSE 8th, Bronze

So maybe The Guardian is on to something with its rankings...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Looking at the key domestic university league tables, how well have the top 10 universities done in TEF?

I think your figures are the wrong way round
Was this the thing that determined whether universities were allowed to increase their tuition fees to £9,250 or am I thinking of something else.
Original post by Inexorably
Was this the thing that determined whether universities were allowed to increase their tuition fees to £9,250 or am I thinking of something else.

It was but this has been postponed.
Original post by nulli tertius
It was but this has been postponed.

Oh really? Didn't know, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply