The Student Room Group

Bike or should I wait for a car?

So my parents have agreed to get me a bike so that I can bike to college rather than paying for expensive bus passes. But then it occurred to me that it could be quite embarrassing since a couple of my friends already have mo-peds etc. Should I just wait for a car, or is it not embarrassing to ride a back even if you're older than 16 (especially in front of other people my age - 16/17)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Biking is fine, I don't think anyone will judge you for it.
Some people use a car, some people walk, some people bike and others take a train or bus. Whatever works for you.
Nothing wrong with biking to and from college.

A car would be more practical for you so I'd learn to drive that first.
I'm 25 and get around everywhere by bike and have done since I went to uni and bought a bike. I doubt anyone will judge you for it.
I started on a 125 at 19, and still do at 21. Downer on bikes is that you don't get heating. In cars, yes. Downer on bikes is less storage unless you go scooter. Upside is cheaper tax. Downside less power for most 125s.
Reply 5
This thread should really be in Cars and Motoring - tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved for you!
Original post by Uranium Potato
So my parents have agreed to get me a bike so that I can bike to college rather than paying for expensive bus passes. But then it occurred to me that it could be quite embarrassing since a couple of my friends already have mo-peds etc. Should I just wait for a car, or is it not embarrassing to ride a back even if you're older than 16 (especially in front of other people my age - 16/17)?

Weigh up the pros and cons.

Pros of having a bike.
Very good MPG
Cheap to run
Cheap to maintan
Can cut through traffic quicker by filtering around cars
Easier and cheaper to park
Can find free bike parking easily
Authorities not so strict on riding while over drink limit and speeding as bikes cause less destruction.
Bike MOT cheap.
If you want to return home for some reason it's easy just to do a 180 turn on a bike!

Cons of bikes
Can't carry much luggage
Have to wear heavy leathers that get very wet in rain.
In an accident your more likely to get badly injured.
It's easier for people to steal your bike than it is a car.

Cons of car
Expensive to tax if high C02 emmisions and all cars made after April 2017 are expensive to tax.
Petrol cars have poor MPG barely over 30 miles to gallon. Expensive to run.
A lot can go wrong in a car EGR valves are expensive to fix as are engine warning lights.
Expensive to park in some towns
More likely to be stopped by 'The Police' in a car.
Minor Motoring mistakes taken a lot more seriously if you drive a car as opposed to a bike.
If you need to go back it's a lot harder to do a U turn.

Pros of car use
Protected from bad weather.
Can carry lots of luggage
Lots of protection in an accident, airbags, side impact bars crumple zones etc.
Can carry freinds
Good for a date with your GF
Can sleep in your car.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Petrol cars have poor MPG barely over 30 miles to gallon.

Sorry this quite simply isn't true. My mum's Audi A1 get's about 63MPG and it's a petrol. Try explaining that one to me...
Drivers will hate you, expect a few to try and knock you down.
Original post by donkeydong
Drivers will hate you, expect a few to try and knock you down.

Lol they don't do it on purpose do they? :s-smilie:

I like biking :daydreaming: I doubt that anyone will judge you for it :smile:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Sorry this quite simply isn't true. My mum's Audi A1 get's about 63MPG and it's a petrol. Try explaining that one to me...

Yes on the motorway at 70mph but in town with congestion and traffic lights MPG is bad.
Yes on the motorway at 70mph but in town with congestion and traffic lights MPG is bad.

I live in a very rural countryside, where the nearest motorway is about 65 miles away...
Original post by ClearSky
Lol they don't do it on purpose do they? :s-smilie:

I like biking :daydreaming: I doubt that anyone will judge you for it :smile:

I think a few out of a hundred do drive purposely close to knock you down, cyclists are a pain to drivers when you look at it. Drivers have to go onto oncoming traffic, sometimes blind to overtake someone doing 8-10 mph.
Reply 13

Original post by RoyalSheepy
I live in a very rural countryside, where the nearest motorway is about 65 miles away...

I get 42mpg average in urban driving, and my car is hardly efficient...
Original post by Uranium Potato

Ride a bike. Why not, if anything people will think, "oh he must be quite athletic." They would never think he's too poor to afford anything else.
I think a few out of a hundred do drive purposely close to knock you down, cyclists are a pain to drivers when you look at it. Drivers have to go onto oncoming traffic, sometimes blind to overtake someone doing 8-10 mph.

I remember my dad doing it for a joke a long time ago, but he was always careful that he wouldn't actually hit the cyclist :s-smilie:
Reply 16
A car will be more practical in the long term. Would you rather be stuck with a bike or wait a little longer and get a car, surpassing your friends?
Original post by ClearSky
I remember my dad doing it for a joke a long time ago, but he was always careful that he wouldn't actually hit the cyclist :s-smilie:

Looooooooooooool

If you hit them you get a 100 points though.
Original post by IWMTom
I get 42mpg average in urban driving, and my car is hardly efficient...

I get around 36mpg atm, and I drive a car which loves its fuel :lol:
Looooooooooooool

If you hit them you get a 100 points though.

*gulp* really? :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending