The Student Room Group

Suggest a uni for economics with ABB....

guys i am having trouble deciding a back-up university for economics with requirement around ABB/BBB......:confused:

right now i am applying to LSE(math and eco), UCL(eco) and warwick(eco), Cass (actuarial.science).......

i am thinking about kent and southampton.......can someone please tell me about thee reputation or suggest me some other decent place with the grades stated!!!

please hurry..... i have to send my Ucas form in a day or two.:tsr2:
Southampton is AAB. So if that rules that one out, perhaps Cardiff, Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham or Sheffield. I'm not sure about Kent's reputation, though, with no disrespect, I don't believe it is too high.
Reply 2
Lancaster uni?
Reply 3
Uzi Rox
guys i am having trouble deciding a back-up university for economics with requirement around ABB/BBB......:confused:

right now i am applying to LSE(math and eco), UCL(eco) and Warwick(eco), Cass (actuarial.science).......

i am thinking about kent and southampton.......can someone please tell me about thee reputation or suggest me some other decent place with the grades stated!!!

please hurry..... i have to send my Ucas form in a day or two.:tsr2:

Why do you have to send your form in this week? Is there a special deadline for people from Venus? But seriously it may be more convenient for school if every applies in a batch. But it is your life. and you need to make the correct decision.

It is virtually impossible to sell yourself in your PS for multiple subjects. LSE will demand as much on Maths as Econ. UCL and Warwick will want no maths. Similarly Cass will want no maths or econ and all actuarial science. Hence atleast 2 of your 4 unis will reject you without a 2nd glance.

Hence you need to take a step back. decide on your course. Find 5 universities that do that subject and then write a PS that sells you in that subject. If you are organised and focused you should be ready in a few weeks. Your school may not like it but they will have to live with it.

What are your AS levels and grades?
What are your A levels and predictions?
(And as you looking at LSE how may A*s do you have at GCSE?)

p.s. here is what LSE say:

Applying for combined honours degrees

LSE offers 16 combined honours programmes. Applicants applying to these programmes are advised that it is essential that you give equal weighting in your personal statement to both combined subjects.

For instance, if you are applying to Government and Economics you must show evidence of interest in both subjects. As half of the course covers Government, the Admissions Tutor would not make an offer to somebody who applies to this course, but only refers to their interest in Economics.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/UCAS%20personal%20statement/writing_your_personal_statement.htm
Reply 4
York.
Reply 5
tourist
York.

Isn't that AAB?
Reply 6
Ecno
Isn't that AAB?

Ah I forgot, but they do accept an A in General Studies as one of your A grades.
Reply 7
@paulwhy

yeah dude I have to sent it in this week cuz our school internal deadline is November 1st week for UCAS, because after that teachers/counselors are busy with ppl who are applying to US... so my counsellor is really after me to hurry up!

s*** dude dont scare me!!
look as far as the my PS thing is concerned, all my degrees require/highly recommend an A-level A in Maths and then obviously there is Economics (even actuarial sciences is alot of maths and quite a bit eco)so i have basically written about passion for maths and how i want to apply it to other subject areas such as economics.... so dude i wanted ur advice will it work this way?

i guess universities know that a person might not be applying for the very exact same course at all places so they can allow a bit of variation.

O-levels: (6A* 3A 1B)
AS-Level: AAAD (maths, eco, computing and physics)
A-levels prediction: (AAAC)
Reply 8
Uzi Rox
s*** dude dont scare me!!

I hope you are scared and make a decisive decision on your subject. If you can't choose then think: if you had 5 offers which would you accept? That then presumably is your favourite subject.

Uzi Rox
look as far as the my PS thing is concerned, all my degrees require/highly recommend an A-level A in Maths and then obviously there is Economics (even actuarial sciences is alot of maths and quite a bit eco)so i have basically written about passion for maths and how i want to apply it to other subject areas such as economics.... so dude i wanted ur advice will it work this way?

O-levels: (6A* 3A 1B)
AS-Level: AAAD (maths, eco, computing and physics)
A-levels prediction: (AAAC)

My answer is no.
i.e. your grades are excellant but that will not save you if you can't show an interest and understanding for the subject. The only way you will get an offer from your top 4 places are if in fact your PS is very much focused on one of your subjects and they not get too distracted by the other stuff. Seeing as this is probably what you have been trying to avoid (i.e. accept you trying to spread evening your interest in economics and maths and actuarial science, I think it unlikely.)

If you want my opinion on your PS then post it in the PS help section. That way I can give a particular answer for your case.

ATB
Reply 9
Leeds, well the offer I got was ABB.:smile:
My friend's personal statement revolved his desire to have s*x with maths and threw in the odd word 'economy' in there aswell, and got an offer from MMORSE AT WARWICK which is pretty hard to get into, as much as Economics I'd say, although I don't know for definite.

He also got offers from all top 10 uni's, including UCL, Bristol, Imperial etc, but not LSE. Cus they want many an A* at GCSE.

(BTW he chose Warwick.)
Just to clarify he applied mainly for Maths/Stats/Morse and Actuaril Science, so his statement wasn't dead specific at all, but obviously good enough.
I came here to this discussion thread as I also had the same question. Do you know if it is possible to get MMORSE in Warwick without further maths?

Latest

Trending

Trending