The Student Room Group

Ingrown hairs help?

Whenever I shave my legs I get bad razor burn (little red pimples) at the top of my thighs and ingrown hairs all over my legs. I've started shaving down in the direction of hair growth instead of up against it but I don't get a close shave at all and there's still hair on my legs. How can I get smooth hairless legs without these ugly red bumps and ingrown hairs? :frown: I have very sensitive skin
Original post by Anonymous
Whenever I shave my legs I get bad razor burn (little red pimples) at the top of my thighs and ingrown hairs all over my legs. I've started shaving down in the direction of hair growth instead of up against it but I don't get a close shave at all and there's still hair on my legs. How can I get smooth hairless legs without these ugly red bumps and ingrown hairs? :frown: I have very sensitive skin

you'd have to be careful with your skin but you could try hair remover creams, less like they'd be ingrown that way

Have you tried hair removal cream?
I just use men's shaving foam, it is generally cheaper and seems to do a decent job.
Reply 4
yeah i've tried hair removal cream but i prefer to use products with natural ingredients so i dont like the chemicals, and it irritates my skin a bit :frown:
Reply 5
yeah i've tried hair removal cream but i prefer to use products with natural ingredients so i dont like the chemicals, and it irritates my skin a bit :frown:

You could try using sugar scrub. Shave normally, apply the sugar scrub, shave again (best to use two razors cos the second will get gunky). It exfoliates your skin and leaves it lovely and smooth. You can get all natural or even make it yourself (sugar and syrup). I have rather sensitive skin and find it totally fine. It's also the best shave i've ever had.
Not sure how it helps with the shaving itself, but it always feels way better after than normal shaving so I guess it does somehow.

When I can't be bothered to do a full shave, I use an electric razor. You can do it dry and it seems to be a lot better for me than lazy shaving with a manual. They kinda snip the hairs rather than that drag and cut that happens with manual so less chance of ingrown hairs etc. Also, way less need to be careful cos it's near impossible to cut yourself or anything. Always a plus.

Little tip for sensitive skin: milk baths. They really sooth my skin. Just a glass of milk in your bath. Also best to avoid bubble bath etc (but sounds like you already do). :smile:
Reply 6
Obviously only razor shave legs when theyre wet and that itself should reduce razor burn. Make sure youve propperly exfoliated and scrubbed so hairs are less likely to ingrow.
Hair conditioner works amazing for a smoother shave if you havent got a sensitive skin kinda foam or ever tryjng lush products without the harsh chemicals could help.
If the hairs themselves are quite think, sorry to say but waxing may be an option as the hairs grow back less thick and at a slower rate AND less likely to ingrow due to them being pulling stright out in opposed to being shaved at an angle if that makes sense??? Good look anywho, moisturising after shaving with a soothing cucumber or aloe vera should also help calm thw skin xxx
Reply 7
Original post by Adieh
Obviously only razor shave legs when theyre wet and that itself should reduce razor burn. Make sure youve propperly exfoliated and scrubbed so hairs are less likely to ingrow.
Hair conditioner works amazing for a smoother shave if you havent got a sensitive skin kinda foam or ever tryjng lush products without the harsh chemicals could help.
If the hairs themselves are quite think, sorry to say but waxing may be an option as the hairs grow back less thick and at a slower rate AND less likely to ingrow due to them being pulling stright out in opposed to being shaved at an angle if that makes sense??? Good look anywho, moisturising after shaving with a soothing cucumber or aloe vera should also help calm thw skin xxx

Yeah I always make sure I've been in the shower for like 15 mins before shaving so the hair is soft and I use shaving cream. My leg hairs are really thin and blonde so I don;t think thats an issue. I will try exfoliating next time because i dont usually do that thanks

Quick Reply

Latest