The Student Room Group

Was the T..A in the wrong

My daughter 6 year 2, says that the TA covered the class yesterday and that 5 minutes after lunch she needed a wee. She said she asked and was told no and that she should have gone at lunch. The TA made her wait all afternoon despite asking 3 more times and explaining that holding her wee was giving her stomach ache. My little girl said she was bouncing up and down and had to keep her legs crossed. They don't have an afternoon break so she had to hold on for 2 hours.

Scroll to see replies

I would make a complaint against the school.
She has a point - your daughter should have gone at lunch. Could see your point if this was an hour after lunch.
Original post by Tiger Rag
She has a point - your daughter should have gone at lunch. Could see your point if this was an hour after lunch.

You never know when nature will call.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Oh yeah by all means I don't have a problem encouraging her to go at lunch, just don't agree with making her wait 2 hours
As a teacher currently on maternity leave, I agree with T.A. There is no reason why your daughter can not go at lunchtime.

I teach year 4 and never let them go to the toilet during lesson time, only exception is a note from the doctor.
Reply 6
Like said before, you can't know when nature would call, and if you make them wait 2 hours that's beyond the boundaries of reasonable.

T.A. was in the wrong on this occasion, glaube ich.
Reply 7
Original post by vickyteach
As a teacher currently on maternity leave, I agree with T.A. There is no reason why your daughter can not go at lunchtime.

I teach year 4 and never let them go to the toilet during lesson time, only exception is a note from the doctor.

That's just silly. I understand 5 minutes after lunch but if the child continues to ask for a sustained period of time then its just cruel making them wait. I doubt anyone ever knows when they will need to use the toilet, let alone a 6 year old.

You are a horrible person.

I'm so glad I had nice teachers at school that treated me like a human.
Original post by jrperkin
That's just silly. I understand 5 minutes after lunch but if the child continues to ask for a sustained period of time then its just cruel making them wait. I doubt anyone ever knows when they will need to use the toilet, let alone a 6 year old.

I agree it is slightly harsh on a yr 2 child, but I teach year 4 they are 8 and 9, they know to go at break or lunch or sit with their legs crossed. Children should go at breaks
I agree it is slightly harsh on a yr 2 child, but I teach year 4 they are 8 and 9, they know to go at break or lunch or sit with their legs crossed. Children should go at breaks

As an aspiring teacher, I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

We're human beings; when nature calls we shouldn't have to stick to some arbitrary timetable. I definitely agree that the girl should have gone at break time, but there is no reasonable excuse to prevent her from going during lesson time. For starters, she's not going to concentrate on the lesson when she's uncomfortable. Also, the situation would have been a whole lot worse if she'd ended up being unable to control herself.
Original post by Meany Pie
You are a horrible person.

I'm so glad I had nice teachers at school that treated me like a human.

I have now been teaching 3 years and never had a complaint or anyone wet themselves. I will give you an example.

Before Christmas we had an afternoon long celebration assembly. All the children are sent to the loo before, On the walk to the hall a girl then said she really badly needed the toilet, I denied her request, She said she was dying to go and wouldn't be able to wait. She did wait though. She had just had 2 chances to use the loo there was no reason for her not to have been
I have now been teaching 3 years and never had a complaint or anyone wet themselves. I will give you an example.

Before Christmas we had an afternoon long celebration assembly. All the children are sent to the loo before, On the walk to the hall a girl then said she really badly needed the toilet, I denied her request, She said she was dying to go and wouldn't be able to wait. She did wait though. She had just had 2 chances to use the loo there was no reason for her not to have been

Still a horrible person.

I expect children to be treated like humans, clearly you do not.

Ever heard of Paruresis? I have it, and it's common. One possible reason why she was unable to go the previous times, especially if you sent everyone in.
Never knew that had a proper name.
Should've pissed on the TA
Still a horrible person.

I expect children to be treated like humans, clearly you do not.

You are entitled to your opinion like I am, still believe pupils should pee at break and lunch. They have a break and then expect the teacher to let them go in lesson time sorry no. How many times do you think a teacher walks out of lesson to the loo.
You are entitled to your opinion like I am, still believe pupils should pee at break and lunch. They have a break and then expect the teacher to let them go in lesson time sorry no. How many times do you think a teacher walks out of lesson to the loo.

I would rather have teachers that respected me and didn't treat me like ****. No wonder the school system is so ****ed when this is deemed acceptable.

My teachers used to because they were humans.
I would rather have teachers that respected me and didn't treat me like ****. No wonder the school system is so ****ed when this is deemed acceptable.

My teachers used to because they were humans.

I notice how she hasn't responded to my posts where I've already given good examples of why a pupil should be allowed to go to the toilet upon request (or at least, within a reasonable time-frame).

As for her implied "excuse" that teachers don't go to the loo. I just hope she one day doesn't have a bad stomach and defecates in front of the class.
I am genuinely surprised that this is acceptable behaviour in our schools, quite disgusted really.

Her excuses are piss poor, which is probably why she won't reply to you.

Quick Reply