mayar17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is my coursework going to be moderated? I think my teacher marked harshly because she gave me 26/40 but I deserved better.
dreamerkitten
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The same happened to me and some people in my class - the teacher who marked all of the coursework pretty much gave nobody a mark higher than 27/40... He told us why and it was a really stupid reason, and I was so angry. I know my CW was worthy of at least 30 marks.

I spoke to my external tutor who tutors me for stats outside of school, and she told me that at the school she used to work at they used to have pretty much 70% of their students getting D grades or below in their coursework for any GCSE subject (that involved CW).
Because of this, they would mark the top grade students down on the coursework so that when they were moderated, the exam board would realise that they were undermarked and would therefore bump up ALL of the students' grades by a mark or so. This meant that the school had most of the D grade students being brought up to an an C, B grade to an A, etc. so they got more and better passes.

I'm hoping that's what the teacher who marked mine was aiming for and that my grade will be brought up to the correct mark. Mine didn't get sent off to be moderated, so I can just hope. I hope that it's the same for you - you should be able to ask the school whether or not yours was sent off for moderation?

I hope you do get your grade checked and changed; we're in the same position
Zxrxh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i got 22 marks
Zxrxh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If i got a c in my coursework and a B in my exam, what would my overall grade be?
fgjjggh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
how did everybody find the higher exam think my teacher said i got 37 on my coursework so looking at 75% to 80% on my exam looking for the grade boundaries to be low
dreamerkitten
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fgjjggh)
how did everybody find the higher exam think my teacher said i got 37 on my coursework so looking at 75% to 80% on my exam looking for the grade boundaries to be low
I thought the exam was easy - just a pretty standard Statistics paper. I'm pretty sure I lost marks on the capture recapture question about the geese bc i didn't revise it lol.

I think a* boundary will be somewhere between 78 and 82 - it just depends on how well the country performs. I reckon you'll be looking at an A* overall based on your coursework grade; if not, then definitely a very high A.
dreamerkitten
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zxrxh)
If i got a c in my coursework and a B in my exam, what would my overall grade be?
I'd make a guess of a mid-high C grade - possibly a low B
fgjjggh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thanks a lot I think I lost marks on that one but thats the one I didn't revise much either but did not miss out on any other questions and were quite certain that I answered them right. I really hope I got an A* but will be happy with anything above a C as had to fight with my teacher as he wanted us all to take foundation I am only 1 or 2 marks of any grade I will send it off for a remark it was my first GCSE Exam and really want to do well in it hope you did ok too
mayar17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by dreamerkitten)
The same happened to me and some people in my class - the teacher who marked all of the coursework pretty much gave nobody a mark higher than 27/40... He told us why and it was a really stupid reason, and I was so angry. I know my CW was worthy of at least 30 marks.

I spoke to my external tutor who tutors me for stats outside of school, and she told me that at the school she used to work at they used to have pretty much 70% of their students getting D grades or below in their coursework for any GCSE subject (that involved CW).
Because of this, they would mark the top grade students down on the coursework so that when they were moderated, the exam board would realise that they were undermarked and would therefore bump up ALL of the students' grades by a mark or so. This meant that the school had most of the D grade students being brought up to an an C, B grade to an A, etc. so they got more and better passes.

I'm hoping that's what the teacher who marked mine was aiming for and that my grade will be brought up to the correct mark. Mine didn't get sent off to be moderated, so I can just hope. I hope that it's the same for you - you should be able to ask the school whether or not yours was sent off for moderation?

I hope you do get your grade checked and changed; we're in the same position
Thank you so much for replying, my maths teacher left so my class is unable to obtain any information regarding the coursework 😭😭. I hope they will moderate my coursework too. Wish you the best, I hope your marks get higher hopefully 😘😘
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.79%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.21%

Watched Threads