The Student Room Group

Based on my CV, how hireable am I?

I was gonna use the CV but keeping it up made it look like plagiarism
(edited 5 years ago)
Probably shouldn't post your school details
It depends what work you're looking for, but the CV seems good, here are a couple of things I'd recommend changing:

Original post by ProcrastiBot

A-levels are yet to be done and GCSE results are pending.
History: -St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic School (2005-2013) -All Hallows Catholic School (2013-2017)

If you're not taking A levels currently I wouldn't include it at all (even if you've made choices and due to start them in September, as you've not actually studied them yet, they're irrelevant), and for your GCSEs, state what GCSEs you've taken and your predicted grades for them.

Once you've started your A levels, you can include them and write what A levels you're taking, and if you have them, predicted grades.

.Limited work experience as a shop attendant and general assistant in the family take-away
Other than this, no previous actual work experience thus far but eager to learn and participate.

Talk about what your duties were as a shape assistant and general assistant, what responsibilities you had and maybe what you've learned. I'd take out the "Other than this, no previous actual work experience thus far but eager to learn and participate." line. If you want to say you're eager to learn and participate, put it in your personal summary.
Do not put pending on GCSEs. Put something that you are predicted to get. Also you don't have to go into everything in interests. Should be obvious for your employer to know what kind of things you need to do this stuff. Also either put references or put references available on request.
.Able to speak in, potentially, 4 languages English, French, Cantonese, Mandarin

This is also a rather ambiguous statement, you've also put this under achievements. If you have qualifications/certificates for these, put them in achievements and remove the word "potentially" or state exactly what your proficiency is, if not, put it under interests :smile:
Alright guys I've read your comments and will modify my CV to your feedback. Also, thanks for replying!
Reply 6
I find the personal statement reads quite unnaturally, and I'd suggest rethinking it.

In the interest section, you don't need to necessarily add interests to show how those skills coincide with the skills needed for a job. Obviously its useful if the skills do coincide, but its also to show you are a rounded person and have something happening in your life. For example 'Badminton - quick reflexes' - consider whether an employer will read that you have quick reflexes and think that is beneficial for the job, or whether the fact that you play video games is really going to be beneficial to your work performance. Employers arent stupid, they can see where youre trying to stretch the truth and where things don't quite add up.

If thats how youre presenting your work experience section then that really needs to be reworked. For a start, theres no reason to say it is 'limited' work experience, or to mention that its a family run business. If it was a job you had, then present it as such. Typically education, achievements and work experience section should just contain things you've done and when you did them, not used as an opportunity to say you want to gain experience (that goes in personal statement). Consider something like:

X & Y Takeaway: 1/1/16-1/1/17
Role: General Assistant
Responsibilities:
Interacting with customers and taking orders
Handling money
Assisting in the kitchen
Cleaning tasks

Have you looked at any example CVs online as to how you should lay the whole thing out and what goes in each section?
Reply 7
"Enjoy playing video games (mainly team-oriented) good communication and teamwork skills"

This made me laugh xD Do you play CSGO by any chance?

I think it's a pretty good CV but until you get your GCSE results, I don't know if anyone would hire you unless you add your predicted grades, if you know them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the replies!

I really don't know what interests to add that would make me anymore employable so I put random traits that go along with it. Yes, I have looked at some CV exemplars but they consisted of too much text about work experience and university degrees which I haven't done though a fair amount of it is a slightly modified version of various exemplars which is why it may sound a tad sophisticated at times. Finally, no, I don't play CSGO unfortunately.
Hey guys! I'm looking for a part time at the moment and would like to know if my CV is any good on a scale of 1-10. I'll paste it here if you wouldn't mind giving feedback.

Personal summary:

A highly motivated student with a high work ethic who is hard-working and reliable. Enthusiastic in gathering work experience and crucial key skills that will become a valuable asset to any employer. Proficient in arithmetic to aid in quick problem solving and capable of preserving a serene composure in times of stress. A great desire to achieve customer satisfaction by assisting the general public when needed and speaking in a friendly, yet, respectable manner.
Looking for a part-time job that is able to provide basic work experience where necessary skills can be developed to become an invaluable employee.

Academic qualifications:

A-levels are yet to be done and GCSE results are pending.
History: -St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic School (2005-2013) -All Hallows Catholic School (2013-2017)

Interests:

.Enjoy playing video games (mainly team-oriented) good communication and teamwork skills .Watching a variety of movie genres able to maintain a light-hearted conversation with customers .Avid chess player requires strategic thinking that anticipates future consequences .Badminton quick reflexes and instantaneous decision making

Achievements/Experiences:

.Grade 1 piano playing with ‘Distinction’ award within one year of learning .Several bronze/silver awards for ‘United Kingdom Mathematics Trust’ contests .Over 99% attendance rate in school .Conducted questionnaires for the general public that required face-to-face interaction .Used to work in the family take-away as a shop attendant and would help with packaging .Able to speak in, potentially, 4 languages English, French, Cantonese, Mandarin

Career history:

.Limited work experience as a shop attendant and general assistant in the family take-away
Other than this, no previous actual work experience thus far but eager to learn and participate.

You should use the TSR CV help forum; it's in this sub-forum at the top.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending