artestudiente
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just out of curiousity: how did yall answer the biological approach to romantic attraction/dating sites question? I couldn't be the only one left stumped.
TimmyR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had no idea honestly. I tried to make sense of it linking to like testosterone where physical characteristics would attract Mandy as they are desirable traits and how this has to do with sexual and natural selection.

Tbh my head was a little blank at this point. That question was really ridiculous
DisturbedCustard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artestudiente)
Just out of curiousity: how did yall answer the biological approach to romantic attraction/dating sites question? I couldn't be the only one left stumped.

Mandy wants to use a dating site. The dating site offers matched people based on.questions. mandys mum said no to the website as all romantic relationships are biological. Evaluate mandys mums claim (12)
Wth was this question. I literally waffled about nonsense. Was very angry bout this dumb questions. Probs losy like 10 marks or gained none. Talked about high level of testosterone so higher aggression- disadvantage in eea evolution as long time spent pregnant
Could of talked about sexual selection but forgot to write aboyt the mans point of view.
Said she might have low activity in prefrontal cortex so lack social impulse control- seen as erratic by males so not attractive.
High levels of oxyticin? Increase trust?
High serotonin? Happy mood linked to increased affection.
Coukdve talked about libido and freud but completely forgot to write that.
Cant explain so perhaps other factors such as classical conditioning associating food and a male to produce affection?
Social learning theory copying mothers relationship with rather by wanting a relationship like theirs?
Internal working model (child psychology)
Kagans temperamental hypothesis (child psycholgy)
Forgot to talk about love quiz which would be a credible point
Finished answer with saying biological is reductionist and an interactionist approach should be taken.
Im.honestly so ashamed of my answer it was soo bad. I think i got only like 2 or 3 credit worthy points. Shouldve focused more on freud and evolution in the answer damn.

Everyone in my class and everyone on Twitter and tsr was baffled by this questions, everyone was just trying to make the most tenuous links like me so hopefully theyre all credit worthy. How did you find the test? Whst was your answer for the mandy 12 marker?
tom tinker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I talked about that Mandy should be attracted to dominant looking and strong men due to evolutionary advantage of this, referenced some studies, and how this would give offspring best chance of survival. But then I said if she is more attracted to personality, shows biological can't fully explain her behaviour. Then that her genes determine her brain structure, which leads to her personality and the way she acts,so more support. I think I tlalked a bit about hormones and neurotransmitters in relation to her, and then brought in learning theories saying she may have seen friends or parents with their partners and imitated their behaviour, leading to her having similar relationships.
DisturbedCustard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tom tinker)
I talked about that Mandy should be attracted to dominant looking and strong men due to evolutionary advantage of this, referenced some studies, and how this would give offspring best chance of survival. But then I said if she is more attracted to personality, shows biological can't fully explain her behaviour. Then that her genes determine her brain structure, which leads to her personality and the way she acts,so more support. I think I tlalked a bit about hormones and neurotransmitters in relation to her, and then brought in learning theories saying she may have seen friends or parents with their partners and imitated their behaviour, leading to her having similar relationships.
I really like your answer! You probably done very well in that question. I completely went off on a different tangent as i was really confused as to mandy being a woman and romantic relationships. I should've focused way more on men and evolution probs wouldve gained more marks. Reading your answer i realise i probably got only like 2 or 3 marks, but hey ho.
tom tinker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DisturbedCustard)
I really like your answer! You probably done very well in that question. I completely went off on a different tangent as i was really confused as to mandy being a woman and romantic relationships. I should've focused way more on men and evolution probs wouldve gained more marks. Reading your answer i realise i probably got only like 2 or 3 marks, but hey ho.
Thank you! It's not certain what they wanted, quite a weird question, so I'm sure your points could have gained equal marks
BeckyBoop98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I read that question and had to go back to it at the very end... ended up making up random points on testosterone and even linked romance to addiction at one point XD not my greatest moment for sure... It seemed harsh putting in a question like that, my class pretty much solely focused on causation of aggression and only in one or two lessons touched on attraction. It isn't even mentioned in the text book is it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (111)
13.81%
I'm not sure (36)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (243)
30.22%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (394)
49%

Watched Threads