Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"A move away from traditional subjets" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    maybe because the numbers of people doing a levels is increasing every year, as well as pressure from the govt to remain in education. hence those who 10 years ago would have left school after gcses are now able to do a levels, but feel that they can't cope with the more 'traditional academic' subjects such as history or physics. for example, my college introduced photography a-level last year after academically weaker candidates obtained good grades in them. plus, with the new a level system, you can do three traditional subjects and one-not-so traditional subject without being penalised by many unis

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I chose Media Studies because it's interesting and relevent in todays society. I could have chosen Physics as many people thought I should, but I would have got really bored (even though I would probably have done better in Physics, being a Maths person and all).

Going to a college that offers almost every A-level (except Human Bio :mad: ), I think having different a-levels is great and allows people to choose subjects that suit them and allow them to perform well, maximising their potential grade-wise...perhaps this is why more and more people are getting A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Funnily enough Politics is not a "new" subject. There is evidence that is has been taught at A-level for many years.
    Hahaha! I think you are definitely destined to become a politician... All you need now are some dubious statistics!

"In a recent survey, 76% of people stated that politics is likely to have been taught for a considerable amount of time. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    the whole ooo a new subject i havn't studied is the reason i am taking Politics. .
    There isn't alot of people in my year that take politics (about 10 people) and it will be even less this year and has been for years.

Do Comprehensives offer Politics?

ReputationRep:
    Problem solving, analysis skills, logical thought, as well as the obvious benefit of numeracy development.
    how much problem solving (and by problem solving I mean real world problem solving and not solving textbook exercises) do you do in a-level maths?

(Original post by Mark_KK)
    Funnily enough Politics is not a "new" subject. There is evidence that is has been taught at A-level for many years.
    no sorry what i meant by a new subject there was a subject that was new to me and that i hadn't experienced before.I wasn't really going to pick my A levels by thinking ooh this is a "new" non traditional subject so i will take theatre studies it will be easy, i picked it because i enjoy it. i also think that often people chose to study sociology and psychology because it is different from subjects they have taken at GCSE( I was just using politics to display this point not because i am stupid and think it is a "new" subject). Well that is what a lot of my friends did anyway..they didn't chose them because they weren't what is know as a "traditional subject" they took them for something new and different NOT because they are thought of as easier or a mickey mouse subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    There isn't alot of people in my year that take politics (about 10 people) and it will be even less this year and has been for years.

Do Comprehensives offer Politics?
    There were two people in my AS politics class this year! Both of us second years as well! Ah well, at least when they do the stats stuff, they can say truthfully that 100% of people got As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Don't you think taking A level maths is the best way to become a maths teacher? Besides, it's vital for othre subjects such as engineering and physics.
    No its not, you get taught Maths for Engineering, its relevent to what your doing, A-level maths is just Maths for the sake of maths.

ReputationRep:
    That's happening at my school!!!! Although it's really small... subjects like art has 4 students... ICT 8.... Business 7... then Maths 2... Physics 2.... Chemistry 1 :P

(Original post by Frances)
    There were two people in my AS politics class this year! Both of us second years as well! Ah well, at least when they do the stats stuff, they can say truthfully that 100% of people got As.
    really? We had about 14 in our class this year. Not too sure how many want to do it next year but i do think my school always has a large number of politics students. I did hear that not many people were taking history next year at my school but i am not sure if that is compared with this year were loads took it..

That's happening at my school!!!! Although it's really small... subjects like art has 4 students... ICT 8.... Business 7... then Maths 2... Physics 2.... Chemistry 1 :P
    Most of the classes at my school have quite a few people in them, for subjects like history, english and maths there are more than one group...

ReputationRep:
    really? We had about 14 in our class this year. Not too sure how many want to do it next year but i do think my school always has a large number of politics students. I did hear that not many people were taking history next year at my school but i am not sure if that is compared with this year were loads took it..

Most of the classes at my school have quite a few people in them, for subjects like history, english and maths there are more than one group...
    but our school is a really good grammar school, where a lot of emphasis is still placed on traditional academic subject. about 50 people took maths at AS in my year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kupo_nut)
    Hahaha! I think you are definitely destined to become a politician... All you need now are some dubious statistics!
    Then again a lot of politicians have a legal background

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that there's a problem with 'traditional subjects'. There has been a decline in maths and science but subjects such as English and History are as popular as they've ever been. As for 'trendier' subjects, I think this has always been the case - Sociology was very popular at one point - now subjects such as Business Studies and Law are become very popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    now subjects such as...Law are become very popular.
    Only because everybody wants to be a lawyer There was a sificant drop from the first day of AS to the last day of A2. I wonder how many people have taken the A2 units compared to AS for A level law...

(Original post by priya)
    but our school is a really good grammar school, where a lot of emphasis is still placed on traditional academic subject. about 50 people took maths at AS in my year.
    exactly but then again a lot of my friends go to poorer school and these still have classes of a decent size for english and maths.

Ah well i strongly support students being able to study subjects that they have an interest in. If people want to take A levels in Photography and Dance then why shouldn't they. After all it isn't really affecting you

ReputationRep:
    Well, there was a slight issue where they didn't decide for sure to run the course until the first day of term, so most of the interested AS people didn't realise it was running... it was mostly me and my friend whining at them that got them to run it in the first place. We started out with 4 people and ended up with 2.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.