The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Going home between semesters?

I've been looking at the term dates so that I know when I should be at the university and what would be happening, since I will be a fresher. While checking I saw that it said that we would depart in January, which I think means we would have to go home. I was wondering whether or not we would have to leave campus or if we could stay at our dorms? I ask because of personal issues and external factors.
Original post by VerumThrowaway
I've been looking at the term dates so that I know when I should be at the university and what would be happening, since I will be a fresher. While checking I saw that it said that we would depart in January, which I think means we would have to go home. I was wondering whether or not we would have to leave campus or if we could stay at our dorms? I ask because of personal issues and external factors.

Your contract will be limited to term time. You should be able to arrange with accommodation to stay out of term time, but they will charge you extra money. If you cant go back home then maybe private rented which will be a 52 week contract would suit you better.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by VerumThrowaway

Hey @VerumThrowaway,

As far as I'm aware, you're able to stay in your halls from the moving-in weekend (the weekend before Freshers' Week) right through to the end of your tenancy (which is after summer exams finish). When I was a fresher I was definitely in my room from about the 3rd or 4th of January after spending a fortnight at home.
Many of our International students stay on campus over the Christmas holidays, so I believe any students in our on campus accommodation are able to stay there between the first and second term :smile:

I'd advise emailing [email protected] to make sure though :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by 999tigger
Your contract will be limited to term time. You should be able to arrange with accommodation to stay out of term time, but they will charge you extra money. If you cant go back home then maybe private rented which will be a 52 week contract would suit you better.

Hey @999tigger,

I'm nearly certain you can stay in accommodation between term 1 and term 2 (ie Christmas break), but you have to go home/find alternative accommodation over the summer break. Or, as you've advised @VerumThrowaway, you can apply to stay in halls over the summer but this costs extra and is not guaranteed to be available :smile:

Many thanks,
Ashley
Original post by University of Surrey
Hey @VerumThrowaway,

As far as I'm aware, you're able to stay in your halls from the moving-in weekend (the weekend before Freshers' Week) right through to the end of your tenancy (which is after summer exams finish). When I was a fresher I was definitely in my room from about the 3rd or 4th of January after spending a fortnight at home.
Many of our International students stay on campus over the Christmas holidays, so I believe any students in our on campus accommodation are able to stay there between the first and second term :smile:

I'd advise emailing [email protected] to make sure though :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Thank you, very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending