The Student Room Group

How many of you cold approach girls?

Poll

Do you cold approach girls?

Just wondering as i never (just once) see boys cold approach girls in my college (apart me me), i'm 17 btw. Please state your age and where abouts you study (university, secondary school etc) if you do cold approach.

Scroll to see replies

cold approach?
Original post by Kravence
cold approach?

Go up to a random girl who you don't know.
No. I think it is really awkward. If a girl did it to me I would hate it. I would probably think she was trying to sell me something or sign me up to a charity or distract me while someone stole my wallet.

What could you possibly say that is not creepy?
Original post by Sternumator
No. I think it is really awkward. If a girl did it to me I would hate it. I would probably think she was trying to sell me something or sign me up to a charity or distract me while someone stole my wallet.

How are you supposed to meet people in the first place if you never talk to them? When you're an adult you won't be surrounded by people you went to school with. I go up to guys I don't know all the time.
haha my boi Ryan! :borat:

and I've not cold approached just to flirt since I was your age. Everytime I speak to a girl it's been circumstantial like I had to speak to her, and then the flirt in me came out. Like maybe she was on the road and I needed directions or had to ask if she's seen someone/something. Or at the library asking..library themed things lol Or at the supermarket, asking where the pasta is or if she can help me decide on which item to get. Dunno. But I'm never single for long enough to put effort into chatting up or I'd be cheating.
Original post by Ryanthom100
Go up to a random girl who you don't know.

No since I haven't had any reason too
I can do it, no problem :yep:
Original post by Sternumator

Lol u could be like "yo mind if i sit here?", if it's a group you could be like "do you girls mind if i chill with you for a bit?"
Lol u could be like "yo mind if i sit here?", if it's a group you could be like "do you girls mind if i chill with you for a bit?"

I speak to my mates like that, not girls :wink:
Never have.
Original post by 0to100
I speak to my mates like that, not girls :wink:

What would you say then? The worst thing IMO is to go up to a girl and make it obvious you like her for attractiveness.
I'm gay and I do what you've mentioned. There are loads of straight guys who hit on girls they don't know all the time, people need to look beyond people they go to school with. How do you think people approach other people in bars and clubs? They don't know these people, that doesn't them going up to them. How do you think people met each other when they say they met at the beach, in a coffee shop, at a wedding, etc? They didn't know these people before they approached them.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think it depends all on the situation.. if you're gonna approach a girl because you need help with something then it's not so awkward.
Reply 14
Harder to 'cold approach' as I'm not at uni anymore but I did do it when I was out at socials. Not randomly in lectures lol.
What would you say then? The worst thing IMO is to go up to a girl and make it obvious you like her for attractiveness.

A liplicking smile and looking into her eyes with an occasional glance at her lips and lap, as you speak with comfortable posture without being offensive: sitting leaning towards her with both arms on the table folded in front of you, instead of sexually aggressive posture like leaning back and manspreading, or throwing your arm over her chair which invades her personal space.
The smile, the eye contact, the lean forward, the holy trinity to subtly but clearly informing a girl you like her and are confident.

With that, you'd say polite things, assertively, based on the conversation, so I can't say what I'd say, but I wouldn't be like "yo" to a girl.

It's really all it takes.

Letting her know you're not thirsty isn't about how you speak to her, its about how much you speak to her. Give her a friendzoning distance but don't abandon her either but you should always present yourself with casual sophistication no matter your age when you speak to her, when you like the girl and want her to be yours. This makes her intrigued, like, "well he is very sexy and nice to me, but doesn't speak to me." It heightens her curiosity, piques her interest. It's called luring :wink:.
Original post by 0to100
A liplicking smile and looking into her eyes with an occasional glance at her lips and lap, as you speak with comfortable posture without being offensive: sitting leaning towards her with both arms on the table folded in front of you, instead of sexually aggressive posture like leaning back and manspreading, or throwing your arm over her chair which invades her personal space.
The smile, the eye contact, the lean forward, the holy trinity to subtly but clearly informing a girl you like her and are confident.

With that, you'd say polite things, assertively, based on the conversation, so I can't say what I'd say, but I wouldn't be like "yo" to a girl.

It's really all it takes.

Letting her know you're not thirsty isn't about how you speak to her, its about how much you speak to her. Give her a friendzoning distance but don't abandon her either but you should always present yourself with casual sophistication no matter your age when you speak to her, when you like the girl and want her to be yours. This makes her intrigued, like, "well he is very sexy and nice to me, but doesn't speak to me." It heightens her curiosity, piques her interest. It's called luring :wink:.

I have never been too confident with my smile as it's pretty bad but, i can do a laugh smile(if u get what i mean). What about a wink and kiss flirt? Also i don't have a lot of time, only one more week :/
I have never been too confident with my smile as it's pretty bad but, i can do a laugh smile(if u get what i mean). What about a wink and kiss flirt? Also i don't have a lot of time, only one more week :/

yea, smiling when you laugh. I get you but I mean smiling when you speak, it can happen more naturally than you think. If you stifle a smile while you speak it would look awkward and not seductive. I'm about the art of seduction with women I'm interested in. A wink and kiss? Are you tryna get peppersprayed? :biggrin::rofl:

What do you mean time?

Idk about this deadline, wat's going on? But the last thing a girl likes is sensing desperation from a guy. It makes her think she is last resort, or something is wrong with him hence his rushing to get her.
Original post by 0to100
yea, smiling when you laugh. I get you but I mean smiling when you speak, it can happen more naturally than you think. If you stifle a smile while you speak it would look awkward and not seductive. I'm about the art of seduction with women I'm interested in. A wink and kiss? Are you tryna get peppersprayed? :biggrin::rofl:

What do you mean time?

Idk about this deadline, wat's going on? But the last thing a girl likes is sensing desperation from a guy. It makes her think she is last resort, or something is wrong with him hence his rushing to get her.

I break up from college for summer in one week, i may not ever see her again (she may be going to uni or leaving, u never know).
You clearly don't know many people then. Ask your parents, grandparents and people your age how they met their partners, most of them didn't already know them. My grandparents met at an ice cream stand at the beach, they didn't know each other at all.

I never said you should go up to a girl and ask to have sex with her, I said you don't need to already know someone to go out with them. The fact you've said you'd overthink it for a week and have a crisis shows you have no idea how to talk to girls or how relationships actually work. Get some confidence. Yes I ask guys for sex just like that a lot, but I asked a guy out for a date yesterday in a coffee shop, an actual date, not just sex, he said yes. We didn't know each other at all and had never met before.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending