Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Being homesick watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was really excited about the prospect of living at Uni until fairly recently. i'm worried i'm going to get really homesick and not quite recover from it! is anyone else worried about that? i don't think i'll be able to visit as often as i'd like, and really am going to miss my younger siblings
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pinkfairy)
    i was really excited about the prospect of living at Uni until fairly recently. i'm worried i'm going to get really homesick and not quite recover from it! is anyone else worried about that? i don't think i'll be able to visit as often as i'd like, and really am going to miss my younger siblings
    Are you going to have access to a computer with msn on it? if so - and your siblings do, then arrange a regular time that you'll be online and have a chat... I know that really helps!

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking the same, but i read that it is common and that it happens to most people in the first term, but by the start of the second term it should not affect you anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I got Homesick the first few weeks, i mean its ok during the day and evening cos you're busy meeting new people doing new things, but if you're in bed and end up alone you do start to wish you were at home sometimes but don't worry about everyone gets homesick now and then. Once you get settled into your course you forget about home and never want to leave! And think about it if you're really missing your brother or sister would they mind if you called them at 1 in the morning for a chat, doubt it!

Anyhow you'll probably be all too blind drunk to worry about home and pass out on a bench somewhere

Its a massive step moving out for the first time but well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I really dont get on with my mum at all and so i'm really looking forward to leaving home however i've got a four year old little sister who i absolutley adore and i'm gonna miss her so much cause she's starting school in september and she's gonna change so much and i'm not gonna be there to see it and its not the same talking on the phone. I cant visit her either cos its a 8 hour train journey

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you! I have little sisters who are 2 and 4 and I just can't imagine what I'll do without them- and it's not like I can just nip home for the weekend, would have to book a flight to Germany and everything

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be terribly homesick too.

I'm from Brunei and I've got 3 younger siblings, so I'm going to see them only twice a year

Travelling to a new country is always difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the Czech republic..not that far away, but not a two hour drive either...I'll miss my parents and my good friends here..
    One of my really good friends is starting to be like>..what am I going to do here without you, you'll forget me ect... it makes me feel bad about leaving...
    another friend said> it's really mean of you to move away to the UK... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluffysheep2000)
    I cant visit her either cos its a 8 hour train journey
    8 hour train journey?? Try a 2 hour train journey PLUS a nine hour plane ride PLUS another hour in the car...
    I won't be going home too often. I just hope I get accustomed soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    8 hour train journey?? Try a 2 hour train journey PLUS a nine hour plane ride PLUS another hour in the car...
    I won't be going home too often. I just hope I get accustomed soon.
    Well when i went to uni i had a 20 mile trek across wolf infested mountains wilst being chased by swarms of killer bees! and that was just to get to lectures, the home journey required a 4 week trek across both the artic AND the antartic.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people consider studying at very far distant universities but I don't. I'd like to be far enough from home but if I need to get there for any reason it doesn't take ages. I live far enough from London to be granted Halls residency and although it's not too far away, it's enough. Furthest I'd go from near Reading is probably Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Well when i went to uni i had a 20 mile trek across wolf infested mountains wilst being chased by swarms of killer bees! and that was just to get to lectures, the home journey required a 4 week trek across both the artic AND the antartic.
    lmao!
    I'm surprised you're still alive

ReputationRep:
    Just imagine how good it will be coming back home......it makes being away from home for so long worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry about being homesick, it happens to everyone, and i think now youre expecting the worst you will be surprised at how youre actually relieved to be determining your own life for once! i thought i would be homesick when i went to university but i almost forgot about my family! you do occasionally miss people but i think thats balanced and normal. ive spent the last few years living in France and Belgium, sometimes i miss England but for 99.9% of the time it is irrelevant, you know you are going in the right direction, the homesickness is just to remind you of that and of who you are.

i would have sent this by PM but have quota issues.

ReputationRep:
    I have luckly spent a great deal of time away from home and family and the first few weeks in a foreign land is strange! Once you get yourself into a routine you quickly forget about home!

Maybe in the first few weeks allow yourself extra cash to let you ease into life at uni. This will help calm your nerves and make you forget for a bit about home. This might work a treat for girls?!

I tried this in SA, AUS, NZ and Fiji.'

Tell me what you think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfairy)
    the solution to your problem is keep busy busy busy for the first month or so, dont give yourself any time to just sit and think about your woes. keep your mind occupied and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    i was really excited about going to uni, but i'm now expecting to get homesick. i go much earlier than all my friends (less than 2 weeks time) so i'm getting ready before any of them... ah well i'm sure once i'm there i'll eb ok and we're already plannign to come and visit each other at uni.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queef Monket)
    the solution to your problem is keep busy busy busy for the first month or so, dont give yourself any time to just sit and think about your woes. keep your mind occupied and you'll be fine.
    thanks for the great advice and comforting words everyone! i feel so much better!

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone's going to suffer from homesickness (or the vast majority of us anyway) but a. nobody is going to be the only one missing home for the first wee while, so you're definitely not alone in this, b. I know certainly that I would hate the thought of any of my flatmates sobbing their heart out every night alone in their room - it helps to talk about these things and it's okay to lean on other people - because there will come a time when they will need your support.

And c. I see you're off to UCL - I'm going to study in London too and my final cure for any homesickness is do to an Audrey Hepburn and go and window shop at Tiffany's to cure the blues (or the mean reds)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hossy)
    I have luckly spent a great deal of time away from home and family and the first few weeks in a foreign land is strange! Once you get yourself into a routine you quickly forget about home!

Maybe in the first few weeks allow yourself extra cash to let you ease into life at uni. This will help calm your nerves and make you forget for a bit about home. This might work a treat for girls?!

I tried this in SA, AUS, NZ and Fiji.'

Tell me what you think
    agreed, developing a routine is also very important.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.