The Student Room Group

Any Point Studying Law at University?

Is it worthwhile pursuing a degree in Law, if it's not from a prestigious, reputable Russel Group university? Could I make up for this by doing lots of voluntary work experiences, pursuing a masters from a more prestigious university etc. My goal is to one day become a solicitor - should've applied to a much better university as a lots changed since applying to university! Didn't think I'd get the grades but now I am much more confident!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ArranJones1997
Is it worthwhile pursuing a degree in Law, if it's not from a prestigious, reputable Russel Group university? Could I make up for this by doing lots of voluntary work experiences, pursuing a masters from a more prestigious university etc. My goal is to one day become a solicitor - should've applied to a much better university as a lots changed since applying to university! Didn't think I'd get the grades but now I am much more confident!

The Russell Group is a self-selecting pressure group. It's not a measure of "prestige" or "reputation" - whatever they mean...

For example, some RG universities have just been awarded Bronzes in the latest TEF (Teaching Excellence Framework), not Silvers or even Golds.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/league-tables/how-highly-rated-is-the-quality-of-teaching-at-your-university

Plenty of solicitors didn't go to RG universities.
Original post by Doonesbury
The Russell Group is a self-selecting pressure group. It's not a measure of "prestige" or "reputation" - whatever they mean...

For example, some RG universities have just been awarded Bronzes in the latest TEF (Teaching Excellence Framework), not Silvers or even Golds.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/league-tables/how-highly-rated-is-the-quality-of-teaching-at-your-university

Plenty of solicitors didn't go to RG universities.

It's because all I here is "there's no point going to study LLB Law if it's not from a Russel Group university" which discourages me a fair bit, wanted to get some assurances before I have definitely decided,

I love the subject anyway so I might take it regardless of career prospects.
Reply 3

I honestly don't think its about "prestige" when it comes to unis. What unis did you apply to? You must've liked something about them to want to apply and if you are passionate about law then don't second guess it. I'm sure you'll be just fine
Reply 4
It's because all I here is "there's no point going to study LLB Law if it's not from a Russel Group university"

From actual qualified solicitors? Or just "mates" who are planning on going to RGs?

I personally know (at least) 2 recently qualified solicitors who went to a non-RG.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nina333
I honestly don't think its about "prestige" when it comes to unis. What unis did you apply to? You must've liked something about them to want to apply and if you are passionate about law then don't second guess it. I'm sure you'll be just fine

De Montfort and Nottingham Trent - was almost certain that I wasn't going to get the A's required due to the school messing me around, such as constantly changing teachers etc. Anyway, both the universities do have reasonable graduate prospects but don't talk much about being a solicitor. I'm happy with those universities as they're local and don't have to stress to much about results - I'm just clueless as to how employers look at them.
From actual qualified solicitors? Or just "mates" who are planning on going to RGs?

I personally know (at least) 2 recently qualified solicitors who went to a non-RG.

Well... more when I do my research - best tip is to avoid TSR with that as they're very discouraging with that! They seem to believe you have to go to an Oxbridge university or something.
Reply 7
Well... more when I do my research - best tip is to avoid TSR with that as they're very discouraging with that! They seem to believe you have to go to an Oxbridge university or something.

Welcome to TSR :smile: Yes, it can seem a bit like that! Sorry...
Reply 8
De Montfort and Nottingham Trent - was almost certain that I wasn't going to get the A's required due to the school messing me around, such as constantly changing teachers etc. Anyway, both the universities do have reasonable graduate prospects but don't talk much about being a solicitor. I'm happy with those universities as they're local and don't have to stress to much about results - I'm just clueless as to how employers look at them.

Nottingham Trent law alumni in legal roles:
https://www.linkedin.com/school/12947/alumni/?facetCurrentFunction=14&facetFieldOfStudy=100564

De Montford:
https://www.linkedin.com/school/15327/alumni/?facetCurrentFunction=14&facetFieldOfStudy=100564
Reply 9

Those are great unis, I want to do law with criminology at Surrey and it's suppose to be really good there. But honestly I feel like you don't need to worry about which uni anyone going to uni will be worried about what will happen after they finish their course because it's like being thrown in the deep end.

But hard work will pay off.
Welcome to TSR :smile: Yes, it can seem a bit like that! Sorry...

Indeed they do 😂😂😂 one thing I never understood is that if everything is true then about 1.7m out of 1.8m people got A*'s in everything on here which probably covers nearly all the students in the country - biggest disadvantage is that you just don't know what's the truth is and what isn't.
It's because all I here is "there's no point going to study LLB Law if it's not from a Russel Group university" which discourages me a fair bit, wanted to get some assurances before I have definitely decided,

I love the subject anyway so I might take it regardless of career prospects.

That is simply not true. There are many solicitors that end up in firms that did not study at RG unis. While there might be certain barriers and obstacles you might face for going to a non-RG uni (depends on which ones you are going to), you are by no means barred from entering the legal profession should you make this choice.
I am going to be brutally honest and not sugarcoat anything. Those 2 universities you mentioned aren't well regarded by top law firms so you have to aim for a first and get a lot of relevant work experience if you do law at either one. Law is an elitist profession, no matter what some well-meaning but misguided people might tell you.
Reply 13
Original post by jessjanellbhons1
I am going to be brutally honest and not sugarcoat anything. Those 2 universities you mentioned aren't well regarded by top law firms so you have to aim for a first and get a lot of relevant work experience if you do law at either one. Law is an elitist profession, no matter what some well-meaning but misguided people might tell you.

Are you including the poster above you in that assesment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you including the poster above you in that assesment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is a legal recruiter. Of course I'm not calling him misinformed or misguided!

Original post by J-SP
To be clear why "top" law firms have a tendency to recruit heavily from RG unis is not really because they are RG universities, it is because the firms have a minimum A-level requirement.

If a firm asks for AAB as a minimum A-level achievement, by default the vast majority of applicants from lower ranked universities won't be eligible for their programmes. So the firm has little point turning up at a careers fair if 80% + of their student population won't meet basic criteria.

But there are 100s (if not 1000s) of firms and companies who don't have such a strict criteria and offer jobs within the legal profession. Plus the majority of law students won't go into legal careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on recruiting a NTU graduate who didn't have a first. I assume that he had relevant work experience and/or was outstanding in other respects. Don't get me wrong; I didn't say that no NTU or De Montfort graduate can get a job at a top law firm, but simply that the odds are stacked against them, all other things being equal, compared to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/KCL/other good RG law graduates.

The reason why I mentioned top law firms is because I don't think that the OP is worried about getting a lawyer job at any old law firm. I thought that he was concerned with getting a job as a solicitor at a reputable law firm. A lot of people study law with such an aspiration. If that is not the OP's intention, then of course those 2 law schools open doors to legal jobs at smaller law firms.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
It will also open a lot of doors to large law firms too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think, J-SP, and I'm being dead honest and not sarcastic here, that you managed to get these students into large law firms because you are a top legal recruiter. I'm honestly complimenting you here so don't take it the wrong way. I am currently a solicitor at a top law firm, but I did it the traditional way (11 A*s at GCSE, AAA at A-Level, first at a top law school, lots of relevant work experience at a top law firm) because I believed publicly available info that seems to imply that top law firms prefer RG graduates: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf. Most of my colleagues come from top RG unis as well. But perhaps I confused correlation with causation. It seems as though I studied too hard.

My advice to the OP would be to go ahead and study law at one of these unis, and hire J-SP (or another top recruiter) as your legal recruiter. I think he/she knows some tricks about getting into top law firms that I don't (no sarcasm or pun intended, I truly wish I was lazier and hired a great recruiter instead of studying my butt off). I think there are 2 ways to get into a top law firm: do what I did or hire a great legal recruiter. I didn't know they were that good at their jobs!
He is a legal recruiter. Of course I'm not calling him misinformed or misguided!

He is actually she.

Don't assume.
Original post by Reality Check
He is actually she.

Don't assume.

I didn't assume; it was a typo/I forgot to type /she. If you look at my above (other) post, I typed he/she. I'm a girl too!
(edited 6 years ago)
I truly wish I was lazier and hired a great recruiter instead of studying my butt off).

Come on: as a 'lawyer in a top firm' you can do much better than that.

I find your posting rather disingenuous, and not without a hint of sneering. My opinion, not gospel.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Come on: as a 'lawyer in a top firm' you can do much better than that.

What did I do wrong exactly? I was being totally honest; I believe that if I could have gotten where I am now with poorer grades and at a less renowned uni, I would have. Because what's the point of working so hard if it isn't required? I didn't know that legal recruiters were THAT good that people with poorer grades than me at both their A-Levels and at uni were getting into top law firms. If I knew, I honestly would have slacked off and hired a recruiter.

If my honesty is offensive, I apologise. I think I'll stop commenting on this thread now. =P
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest