?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
what should i start learning to be prepared for biology at six form
username1997135
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depending on what exam board you are doing, http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...02-SP-2015.PDF
read the specification [mine is AQA]. if something interests you, read into it further. I wouldnt go to read every little detail but having an overall knowledge will prepare you.

Good luck!

¬N
nerdydaydreamer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iamtheone19)
It really depends what exam board your sixth form will use. I personally would recommend the CGP 'Bridging the Gap' book to help you with the step up.

If you decide that you then want to learn some content, I would suggest looking at the specification you're learning, and learning the first few, so for example if you're doing AQA I would learn Biological Molecules, as this is just the structure and function of the molecules which form the basis for life - this may be a good place to start on any specification actually. Also, consolidate your knowledge of cell structure and look into how it is taught at A Level. I would not recommend trying to teach yourself the really complex processes as a massive part of Biology is understanding rather than just being able to regurgitate information like at GCSE, and you will not necessarily gain this understanding on your own.

Any questions, feel free to message me
iamtheone19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerdydaydreamer)
It really depends what exam board your sixth form will use. I personally would recommend the CGP 'Bridging the Gap' book to help you with the step up.

If you decide that you then want to learn some content, I would suggest looking at the specification you're learning, and learning the first few, so for example if you're doing AQA I would learn Biological Molecules, as this is just the structure and function of the molecules which form the basis for life - this may be a good place to start on any specification actually. Also, consolidate your knowledge of cell structure and look into how it is taught at A Level. I would not recommend trying to teach yourself the really complex processes as a massive part of Biology is understanding rather than just being able to regurgitate information like at GCSE, and you will not necessarily gain this understanding on your own.

Any questions, feel free to message me
Thank you so much actually I'm applying at a different six form they said they are doing OCR well OCR GCSE was terrible but then we swapped to Edexcel which was so much better
nerdydaydreamer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much actually I'm applying at a different six form they said they are doing OCR well OCR GCSE was terrible but then we swapped to Edexcel which was so much better
You're welcome OCR has a very good reputation for A Level. They haven't done well with the A Level bio this year, but no exam board has. What are you thinking of taking with Bio?
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerdydaydreamer)
You're welcome OCR has a very good reputation for A Level. They haven't done well with the A Level bio this year, but no exam board has. What are you thinking of taking with Bio?
I heard they put a lot of maths questions and thinking of doing chemistry alongside it
icecubeinferno
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I only started my Biology revision a whole month before my AS exams since I had to tackle Chemistry, Physics and Maths as well. In all my Biology mocks I got U's but during my revision, I basically printed every single past paper that existed for my specific exam board OCR A (even though my year was the first to experience the new specification), looked at the mark scheme and made notes on how to tackle each question using keywords in appropriate places, etc (or in more simpler terms... copying the markscheme). It sounds dumb but it helps for information to stick in your mind (especially the information that you need, not just random stuff mentioned in your textbook that may not even be applicable for you to know for the exam, hence extra stuff). At the end of AS I managed to raise from a U to a D in 1 month, so imagine what your end grade might be if you do this method and also have extra time to bang out textbook and CGP book revision as well for a whole year! You will be on your way to an A.
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
(Original post by icecubeinferno)
I only started my Biology revision a whole month before my AS exams since I had to tackle Chemistry, Physics and Maths as well. In all my Biology mocks I got U's but during my revision, I basically printed every single past paper that existed for my specific exam board OCR A (even though my year was the first to experience the new specification), looked at the mark scheme and made notes on how to tackle each question using keywords in appropriate places, etc (or in more simpler terms... copying the markscheme). It sounds dumb but it helps for information to stick in your mind (especially the information that you need, not just random stuff mentioned in your textbook that may not even be applicable for you to know for the exam, hence extra stuff). At the end of AS I managed to raise from a U to a D in 1 month, so imagine what your end grade might be if you do this method and also have extra time to bang out textbook and CGP book revision as well for a whole year! You will be on your way to an A.
Your very helpful thank ever so much is it hard doing that along side chemistry what do you study
nerdydaydreamer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did this too this year and have found it so helpful. For my mocks I actually did the papers themselves, and went from an E in my original paper to a B in my retake. Then for my exam on year 1 content I wrote out the mark schemes in my own words and I don't know what I've got yet but it definitely helped information stick
n_1999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really wouldn't recommend Biology if you don't need to do it for you to have a place at your chosen degree course. I regret going through the stress of it, would have much rather picked easy subjects and gone to an amazing university (especially since I don't need biology)
It's the type of subject you could know the content inside and out and still struggle.
Lots of application, "suggest", thinking out of the box questions, nothing is really fact recall unfortunately
And LOTS of maths too
Annoying thing is with the new reformed Linear A levels there are not many past papers to look at, especially since to succeed at biology practice makes perfect.
But if you really need/want to pick it, I would already buy some revision guides and start going through the content and seeing if it's really for you
But bare in mind the jump between gcse and AS is minimal, the real jump is between AS and A2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
(Original post by n_1999)
I really wouldn't recommend Biology if you don't need to do it for you to have a place at your chosen degree course. I regret going through the stress of it, would have much rather picked easy subjects and gone to an amazing university (especially since I don't need biology)
It's the type of subject you could know the content inside and out and still struggle.
Lots of application, "suggest", thinking out of the box questions, nothing is really fact recall unfortunately
And LOTS of maths too
Annoying thing is with the new reformed Linear A levels there are not many past papers to look at, especially since to succeed at biology practice makes perfect.
But if you really need/want to pick it, I would already buy some revision guides and start going through the content and seeing if it's really for you
But bare in mind the jump between gcse and AS is minimal, the real jump is between AS and A2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well i have to for medicine course at uni i enjoy but with biology is just remembering key words and content
n_1999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well i have to for medicine course at uni i enjoy but with biology is just remembering key words and content
No no no, that's for GCSE I was very good at it and found it enjoyable at gcse too. When you get to A level it is not as simple as fact recall believe me, I know my text book inside and out but the questions itself are beyond challenging. It's not as straightforward as you may think, the questions involve lots of application NOT just remembering content

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Accept the fact that these next 2 years will be you working and working and working and sometimes just scraping Es and other times being solid Cs or whatever. Bio A Level is by far the hardest thing I've done in my life (and I've climbed a volcano ye) and just brace urself ok LEARN HOW TO RELAX bc I still have no idea how to chill all I do it eat sleep and cry
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
No no no, that's for GCSE I was very good at it and found it enjoyable at gcse too. When you get to A level it is not as simple as fact recall believe me, I know my text book inside and out but the questions itself are beyond challenging. It's not as straightforward as you may think, the questions involve lots of application NOT just remembering content

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh so it's more understanding so there is barely any past papers its like the new GCSES i did.
icecubeinferno
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your very helpful thank ever so much is it hard doing that along side chemistry what do you study
It was pretty hard since I did all 3 science and maths for AS level, my school basically did not give me any free study sessions while all my friends had like one or two free study sessions a day which was unfair. On top of that, teachers used to give loads of homework as well so I never used to get time to make actual book notes, nor able to do full past papers as well which was a major disadvantage since I planned for myself to follow a schedule before I started sixth form but my teachers basically prevented me from doing so. I realised that it was one month before exams and I did not start any papers yet so I was reduced to copying the markscheme... which was surprisingly helpful. It improved and prepared me to answer various exam questions at a satisfactory state and also helped me with exam techniques as well. I would advice you to try and learn the past paper techniques and then re-print all the past papers again and try and answer the exam questions with the knowledge that you gained. Also try and read through your textbook and answer the practice questions in it as well since those are the type of questions that are related to the information in the specification. AND WHATEVER YOU DO, TRY TO NOT PROCRASTINATE TOO MUCH! (which is what I am doing right now lol, I have a C4 exam tomorrow)
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
Is it that bad
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
(Original post by ImagineCats)
Accept the fact that these next 2 years will be you working and working and working and sometimes just scraping Es and other times being solid Cs or whatever. Bio A Level is by far the hardest thing I've done in my life (and I've climbed a volcano ye) and just brace urself ok LEARN HOW TO RELAX bc I still have no idea how to chill all I do it eat sleep and cry
I felt like that at GCSES let alone a bigger jump i think i will start now
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
It was pretty hard since I did all 3 science and maths for AS level, my school basically did not give me any free study sessions while all my friends had like one or two free study sessions a day which was unfair. On top of that, teachers used to give loads of homework as well so I never used to get time to make actual book notes, nor able to do full past papers as well which was a major disadvantage since I planned for myself to follow a schedule before I started sixth form but my teachers basically prevented me from doing so. I realised that it was one month before exams and I did not start any papers yet so I was reduced to copying the markscheme... which was surprisingly helpful. It improved and prepared me to answer various exam questions at a satisfactory state and also helped me with exam techniques as well. I would advice you to try and learn the past paper techniques and then re-print all the past papers again and try and answer the exam questions with the knowledge that you gained. Also try and read through your textbook and answer the practice questions in it as well since those are the type of questions that are related to the information in the specification. AND WHATEVER YOU DO, TRY TO NOT PROCRASTINATE TOO MUCH! (which is what I am doing right now lol, I have a C4 exam tomorrow)
Wish you all the best in your exams you will smash it tell me how it goes and what do you want to study at uni
n_1999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh so it's more understanding so there is barely any past papers its like the new GCSES i did.
Kindaaa, I mean everyone's different, I was doing super well at AS but now I'm in A2 it's just gotten harder on a different level, I'm with aqa got the last paper on Monday but so far they have just been horrible!
But since you want to do medicine, my best advice would be to obviously pick bio and chem but the other 2 a levels to be super super easy subjects, because your going to need and immense amount of time to focus on biology and chemistry. Alongside that, you'll need to be revising for BMAT and UKCAT a good personal statement, experience get some asap and interview skills. Because you don't want to pick these hard subjects and then not be offered a place for medicine at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
iamtheone19
Rep:
?
Kindaaa, I mean everyone's different, I was doing super well at AS but now I'm in A2 it's just gotten harder on a different level, I'm with aqa got the last paper on Monday but so far they have just been horrible!
But since you want to do medicine, my best advice would be to obviously pick bio and chem but the other 2 a levels to be super super easy subjects, because your going to need and immense amount of time to focus on biology and chemistry. Alongside that, you'll need to be revising for BMAT and UKCAT a good personal statement, experience get some asap and interview skills. Because you don't want to pick these hard subjects and then not be offered a place for medicine at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did pick 2 easy other A levels along side history and phycology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (319)
56.16%
I don't have everything I need (249)
43.84%

Watched Threads