memeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hii,

am currently in year 12, have known that i want to do a maths degree since i was in year 10 or so, but have recently realised that i like stats as much as i like the 'pure' stuff covered at a level?

am studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry to A2.
have completed C1 C2 S1 M1 D1 and FP1, and will be taking C3 C4 S2 FP2 FP3 and M2 next year, as well as self teaching S3 and S4 (and possibly M3). i'll probably take the exams for these 3 modules to get an AS in additional further maths if i don't do STEP, but i haven't decided yet.

i've started teaching myself S2 and S3 and am currently REALLY enjoying the modules.

however, i'm not sure whether to do maths and stats at uni or just pure maths? is it possible to do a lot of stats in a pure degree? i'm aiming for oxford and maths and stats is twice as competitive as maths, which is pretty scary?

any advice is appreciated x
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by memeeee)
hii,

am currently in year 12, have known that i want to do a maths degree since i was in year 10 or so, but have recently realised that i like stats as much as i like the 'pure' stuff covered at a level?

have completed C1 C2 S1 M1 D1 and FP1, and will be taking C3 C4 S2 FP2 FP3 and M2 next year, as well as self teaching S3 and S4 (and possibly M3). i'll probably take the exams for these 3 modules to get an AS in additional further maths if i don't do STEP, but i haven't decided yet.

i've started teaching myself S2 and S3 and am currently REALLY enjoying the modules.

however, i'm not sure whether to do maths and stats at uni or just pure maths? is it possible to do a lot of stats in a pure degree? i'm aiming for oxford and maths and stats is twice as competitive as maths, which is pretty scary?

Ultimately you need to study the course content pages carefully.

At my uni for example - there are multiple courses.

Mathematics: Pure maths like Algebra and Analysis compulsory. Limited options available from applied maths, including some stats.

Mathematical Sciences: less compulsory pure modules, much wider choice of applied units from econometrics, finance, physics, stats, computer science, teaching. Can choose any module from any of the other courses.

Maths & Stats: compulsory pure and probability and statistics modules. Limited options available from other areas of applied maths, mostly probability and stats form the option list.

Maths & Physics. Pure compulsory, relatively difficult parts of physics also compulsory. Limited option choice.

Maths and CompSci: can't remember on this one.

Ultimately I switched to MathSci because it lets me study stats if I want to (and about 7 of my 8 choices for final year are stats modules, as I can't get enough of it, having done S1-S4) but also the maths and stats course comes with compulsory probability modules which I didn't want to do.

The one other thing that I would say that Maths A-level is very, very applied - not pure by any means. So really look into algebra and analysis because you can't base it off of A-level and you might actually hate I!
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Straight maths - you can do pretty much any modules you like, whether they be pure, applied, or stats. Maths and stats is generally seen as a softer degree, along with "Mathematical Sciences".
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by memeeee)
hii,

You could just do straight Maths and choose the stats modules. The only difference between these two degrees is that for Maths and Stats some of the optional stats modules are made compulsory. Choosing straight Maths just enables you to have more flexibility, especially if you decided that you don't like stats after your first year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (218)
43.69%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (37)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.24%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
11.02%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.41%

Watched Threads