Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aqa English Lit watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Those people who did A2... I'm a little confused about Module 4... comparing two novels... can they be any two of oyur own choice... or related ot the themes or the ones listed on the specification...
    Also which books did you read?

ReputationRep:
    Technically you can choose any two texts you wish... They can be plays, novels, poems etc. Still, I know many schools wish to have two set texts for everyone to base their answer on as it makes it easier.

Also the question can be whatever you like. Obviously the two texts will need some sort of connection in the area of theme, structure or language. Based on experience it is probably better to make this connection the theme.

Bear in mind, however, that you are not allowed to use a text already on the syllabus; i.e. I wanted to do "The Handmaid's Tale" with "1984" but the former is on the syllabus (Modern Novel unit). "1984" is a popular novel to use in the coursework though, usually compared with texts like "Brave New World."

Hope this is of help... I personally used "Mansfield Park" and "Oranges are not the only Fruit" and wrote about the effect of upbringing on personal morality. I wouldn't recommend doing the same... The books are about as different as you can get...!

ReputationRep:
    thanks!
    any other suggestions for comparison?

ReputationRep:
    i think my school are doing novels on women...the colour purple and beloved

ReputationRep:
    We're doing The Remains Of The Day by Kazuo Ishiguru and an as yet unnamed text... we had to read TROTD over the holiday, but the other book is a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    I did Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Hardy and the play A Doll's House by Ibsen. Having two genres was really good for comparison of style, and structure shaping meaning, one of the Assesment Objectives.

Made up the title myself - "Explore and contrast the ways in which Hardy and Ibsen assert the moral superiority of the individual over the expectations of society"

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.