The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the UK Muslim population really only 5%?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What does what you would think based on no statistical evidence at all prove? Nothing. There aren't more Muslims than non-Muslims in Bradford and non-white and non-Muslim are NOT the same thing. The Muslim population of Bradford was about 25% in the 2011 census. Even if it's risen since it's still a minority. There are quite a lot of Muslims in some parts of the UK - but still a minority -and very, very few in most of the rest of it.
Reply 41
Original post by astutehirstute
A couple of points to make.

1. The 2011 census is way out of date. The Muslim population doubled between 2001 and that census, and mid way through 2017, at that rate of growth, your numbers could understate the Muslim population by 50%. Hardly a trivial error on your part.

If you don't accept my estimate you need to explain why the population has remained static despite higher birth rates among Muslim mothers, and a much younger demographic, with a bulge at child bearing ages and fewer deaths compared to the rest of the population. And this excludes immigration, which is running at 590,000 gross a year. This is not broken down to highlight Muslims, for perhaps obvious reasons.

These numbers do not include illegal immigration. We.now know that the Grenfell Tower had many rooms sub let to illegal immigrants. Since most of the known victims were Muslim it is logical to assume that many of those sub lets were to Muslims. That is one Tower Block. What makes you believe it is not replicated up and down the country?

2. What does your survey of the over estimate of Muslims in various European countries say about how well integration of that faith group is perceived to be going?

Population and percentage of the population are not the same thing. But let's say Muslim population was doubling as a percentaged every 10 years (unproven) - that'd be a 70% increase in 7 years, so 70% increase on 5% so they'd be only 8.5% of the population this year. So 91.5% of the population of the UK would still be non-Muslim.

Most immigrants - legal or illegal - are not Muslims, because the only people who have Free Movement rights into the UK are EU citizens - and most EU citizens are not Muslim.

Then you try and use evidence that most people hugely overestimate the percentage of Muslims living in their country as evidence that they don't integrate. It's not.

If you did a poll on Jews any time before the end of World War Two there was lots of prejudice against them by the majority. Popular prejudices are not evidence those prejudices are based on fact.
Original post by Dunad
Population and percentage of the population are not the same thing. But let's say Muslim population was doubling as a percentaged every 10 years (unproven) - that'd be a 70% increase in 7 years, so 70% increase on 5% so they'd be only 8.5% of the population this year. So 91.5% of the population of the UK would still be non-Muslim.

Most immigrants - legal or illegal - are not Muslims, because the only people who have Free Movement rights into the UK are EU citizens - and most EU citizens are not Muslim.

Then you try and use evidence that most people hugely overestimate the percentage of Muslims living in their country as evidence that they don't integrate. It's not.

If you did a poll on Jews any time before the end of World War Two there was lots of prejudice against them by the majority. Popular prejudices are not evidence those prejudices are based on fact.

The Muslim population is increasing in absolute terms, and as a percentage of the population. That is a fact, which you spent a lot of time, and used a lot of words, not to refute.

Since this thread was started the percentage has increased from 5% to 6.3%. The third highest percentage in the whole of Europe if you exclude Cyprus which is a special case, and not a particularly salutary one for apologists for high muslim immigration, since it is a state entirely divided into two on ethnic/religious grounds.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/12/04/europes-muslim-population-will-continue-to-grow-but-how-much-depends-on-migration/

If you click on the above link you will see the projections.

My question to you is a simple one. Do you dispute these projections?

Then I will ask you a subsidiary question. Do you think a country which is almost one in five Muslim will be more, equally or less violent and lacking in social cohesion than one in which 6.3% are adherents to Islam?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by admonit
I just wonder how with 5% of Muslim population the name Muhammad was the most popular name in 2015 and was the second popular name in 2016. :confused:

Because it's a very common first name for Muslims whereas the majority whites have a lot more diversity in their names even if there are some common ones. Probably around one in every 5 Muslim males have it as their first name even if they are called their middle name or last name by their peers.
Original post by Raleo
Current statistics say the Muslim population is only around 5%, and Indian & Pakistani population is about 4%. This seems very low. For example if you go to Bradford, Luton or any lower class town you'll probably see more Muslims than white people.

I would think the Muslim population is around 15% or more. Is the government lying about this?

Well in the last census of the population was 2011 and the census concluded that 2.7m of the British population of 63,260,000 which gives you around 4.8%

It is estimated that we may be home to up to 1,000,000 illegal immigrants so we will not know the % of these which are muslim.

I would guess based on averages from previous years that we have 3,474,000 approximately. We currently have a population of 65,648,000 which gives you a % of 5.29%- this is not scientific I'm not going through 6 years of muslim immigration- muslim emigration as I currently do not have enough time and I'm not sure if it the information is even available. In urban areas the % can be as high as 17% foreign born according to the migration observatory but that is not refined by religion so if you live in a Birmingham or Bradford it is more likely you have a higher perception
Reply 45
Original post by nulli tertius
It is worse than that. They are all Polish Muslims. And they are all stealing our jobs by claiming the dole.

You cant really "steal" a job. If they're going for it, just because some people are too lazy and unworthy then you cant blame them.
Reply 46
Why do people care about things beyond their control? No, not all Muslims are terrorists, they're not really stealing our jobs, as most of them are unqualified and illiterate, most Muslims very nice and they won't take over the world. They're not aliens. We all share one planet, so why can't we stop with all these repetitive questions? Go talk to an average Muslim
Reply 47
Original post by Stewpid
I would guess ... this is not scientific

So why use 2 decimal places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
So why use 2 decimal places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why use two decimal points the answer to this is accuracy, the way I calculated it was

2011 Muslims=2,700,000
-2001 Muslims=1,600,000
Total increase =1.1 million /10 years =average of 110,000 increase per year ×7 =770,000 (I have included next year in this figure as we are nearly in next year so I don't need to calculate it again

3,474,000/ total population ×100 gets you about 5.29% using averages isn't the best idea though. By 2025 I see the population hitting around 4,200,000 as they out breed the average English couple.
Reply 49
Original post by Stewpid
Why use two decimal points the answer to this is accuracy, the way I calculated it was.

You can't profess accuracy for a self-confessed "unscientific" guess.
Reply 50
Original post by miss_ambitious
as most of them are unqualified and illiterate

British Muslims?
You can't profess accuracy for a self-confessed "unscientific" guess.

I can if I want I used a simple averages method of calculation not a systematic method
Reply 52
British Muslims?

Not necessarily British Muslims born and bred. Most British Muslims are good people who are normal anyway
Reply 53
Not necessarily British Muslims born and bred. Most British Muslims are good people who are normal anyway

You seem to be digging yourself a bigger hole... which people are "unqualified and illiterate"?
Reply 54
You seem to be digging yourself a bigger hole... which people are "unqualified and illiterate"?

The terrorists and radicalised people who claim they're Muslims.
Reply 55
The terrorists and radicalised people who claim they're Muslims.

ok, but that really wasn't how you phrased it originally

... No, not all Muslims are terrorists, they're not really stealing our jobs, as most of them are unqualified and illiterate,...
Reply 56
ok, but that really wasn't how you phrased it originally

Well, that what I meant. No hate on Muslims whatsoever, however, there are people who ruin it. Now you know what I meant
You’re guessing.......
Among younger demographics, there are actually more Muslims than Non-Muslim Indians (!), meaning that a lot of the youth organisations aimed at younger "South Asians" are dominated. This is a serious problem.It means that a lot of socially vulnerable Non-Muslim Indians feel scared to seek help from charities because they are dominated by Muslims (and Muslim sympathisers for the left-wing types). Horror story. It says a lot that it's only been a few far-right outlets that have been reporting these issues.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by renegradeisland
Among younger demographics, there are actually more Muslims than Non-Muslim Indians (!), meaning that a lot of the youth organisations aimed at younger "South Asians" are dominated by the racially dubious Pakistanis. This is a serious problem.It means that a lot of socially vulnerable Non-Muslim Indians feel scared to seek help from charities because they are dominated by Muslims (and Muslim sympathisers for the left-wing types). Horror story. It says a lot that it's only been a few far-right outlets that have been reporting these issues.

The far right outlets are renown to be strangers to facts and truth. I would look for reputable sourcing of facts if I were you. They are Hatemongers.

Latest

Trending

Trending