The Student Room Group

How important are GCSE grades when applying to university?

There is a youtuber called Ibz Mo who goes to Cambridge he did not do well in his GCSE he did not receive any A's I believe or A*'s but for a levels he received A*A*A he did something to do with sociology and psychology.I would like to ask whether the course you apply to matters in terms of each course values different things from the same university.With the new a levels I have heard there will be no AS correct me if I am wrong so how will university application work.As from what I have heard your AS grades would depend on the sort of universities you applied to.
Original post by Anonymous1502
There is a youtuber called Ibz Mo who goes to Cambridge he did not do well in his GCSE he did not receive any A's I believe or A*'s but for a levels he received A*A*A he did something to do with sociology and psychology.I would like to ask whether the course you apply to matters in terms of each course values different things from the same university.With the new a levels I have heard there will be no AS correct me if I am wrong so how will university application work.As from what I have heard your AS grades would depend on the sort of universities you applied to.

They can matter to some unis , but most just look at your A level grades.
They can be a prompt to some unis to give unconditionals, but they tend not to be the top unis.
They can be important for some courses at some unis i.e Medicine and Oxford (I believe they require quite high passes).

For most people as long as you have maths and English then A level grades are everything.

AS matter much less and have been superceded by linear A levels which just use predicted grades.
Typically universities only NEED to see passes in English and Maths. More selective and/or popular universities usually have a nominal requirement to have taken and passed at least 5 GCSEs. Some courses have more specific GCSE requirements across the board, primarily medicine/dentistry/vet med. Some courses offered by specific universities have GCSE requirements due to the nature of the course and it's popularity, for example Maths at Cambridge.

Both Oxbridge universities will consider GCSE profile, however Oxford is the only one which tends to actively make use of it through the majority of the process, as it's used in part to determine who they shortlist for interview, and then they consider it post interview in making offers. Cambridge on the other hand interviews most applicants and then heavily considers interview performance to shortlist candidates post-interview, where GCSEs are considered to an extent.
If your university has doubts about your predicted grades being legitimate then they may look to your GCSEs to see if you have a strong academic track record or not.

Most unis care far more about A Levels. Even at top universities like Cambridge and UCL I can't see them caring much if someone has A*A*A at A Level and just 1A* at GCSE. ( Ibz Mo had extenuating circumstances - but he would have been fine anyway with his final grades even if he didn't).

Oxford by contrast does seem to place more weight on GCSEs than other universities - but this changes subject from subject. For English, GCSEs are weighted at 17.5% in the weighting process. The UCAS form ( which I believe consists of predicted/ achieved A Levels, the personal statement and reference) is weighted equally ( so you could say less than GCSEs). For History at Oxford, A Levels are not weighted at all mechanically, but it is presumable that they look at A Levels alongside. But, in terms of the computers banding system, someone with A*A*A*A* at A Level and 9A*s GCSE would be put below someone with AAA at A level and 10A*s at GCSE, if all their other scores were equal to eachother.
Sciences at Oxford seem to care less about GCSEs though, from what I have seen.

But most top universities ( Bristol, Durham, Cambridge, LSE, UCL etc.) seem to care more about A Levels. For unis that don't interview a large majority like Durham, UCL and LSE the personal statement becomes far, FAR more important than it is at Oxbridge.

I found another statistic that may help. For Bristol's law course, A Levels are weighted at 40%, GCSEs 20%, and the Personal Statement 15%.
Reply 5
While an excellent set of GCSE grades is desirable, they are seldom the be all and end all of a uni application. Cambridge admission tutors for example have consistently stressed that they will never reject an applicant for another on the sole basis of GCSE grades! (Might be a different scenario for Oxf where I believe they value them more). Unis also stress they importance of PROGRESSION. If someone got mediocre GCSES but ended up with excellent A level scores, this is very highly looked upon as it demonstrates an upward trajectory in academic performance. This was the case for e.g. with Ibz who you mentioned came out with A*A*A in the end.

If you are worried that your GCSE grades aren't good enough, i'd say don't stress. Focus on A-levels, admissions assessments (if taking any), alongside wider reading, interview practice etc. These all will contribute to a strong and competitive uni application!
Original post by Ainur123
While an excellent set of GCSE grades is desirable, they are seldom the be all and end all of a uni application. Cambridge admission tutors for example have consistently stressed that they will never reject an applicant for another on the sole basis of GCSE grades! (Might be a different scenario for Oxf where I believe they value them more). Unis also stress they importance of PROGRESSION. If someone got mediocre GCSES but ended up with excellent A level scores, this is very highly looked upon as it demonstrates an upward trajectory in academic performance. This was the case for e.g. with Ibz who you mentioned came out with A*A*A in the end.

If you are worried that your GCSE grades aren't good enough, i'd say don't stress. Focus on A-levels, admissions assessments (if taking any), alongside wider reading, interview practice etc. These all will contribute to a strong and competitive uni application!

Another thing that worries me is not getting enough A*'s to get into a grammar school for sixth form.
Reply 7
Another thing that worries me is not getting enough A*'s to get into a grammar school for sixth form.

I imagine you've sat your exams already and have given it your best shot. All that can be done right now is to wait and see how it turns out. If you get the grades and end up in the grammar school, then great! But if that doesnt turn out to be the case, Its not the end! I believe that anybody can thrive regardless of the school they attend. You seem like you really want to do well academically, this is good enough in itself as it shows you have the motivation and the will to succeed. Wherever you end up, keep on working hard and trust me, you will reap the benefits of your efforts.

There are endless examples of comprehensive state school students achieving excellent results and attending the best universitiies. Not getting into grammar school isn't the end. But in fact, only the beginning.

With that said, let's be optimistic and hope you come out with a fantastic set of results! :biggrin: good luck
Though this is true, people can always apply with achieved A level grades and take a gap year! Then GCSEs go back to being as insignificant as they should be...

Quick Reply

Latest