The Student Room Group

DISSERTATIONS discussion

Boredom, coffee and huge word counts....it's time to talk about postgrad dissertations!

How did you deal with your boredom?

What advice would you tell yourself? (having completed one)

What grade did you get?

How many hours did you spend on it?

What advice would you give to potential masters/postgrad students?

And any thing else you guys can think of!

Scroll to see replies

I'm well up for this discussion, since the reason I am here is procrastinating from writing my masters diss.

It's not a huge word count - 15,000 - but it's a slog. Due end of September. I'm actually really interested in the topic I'm writing about, but currently in the process of writing all the fluff at the start - concepts, philosophy, lit review. Yawn.
I'm currently doing my MA disso too. 30k words ARGH! Then a Reflective. All due by end of August.

I've managed to almost pile through my first draft. But SO much revision is going to be required.

Dealing with boredom/staying focused = taking regular breaks. Having a day or two where I allow myself to do nothing. Focusing on the end goal!
Original post by David Trebus
I'm currently doing my MA disso too. 30k words ARGH! Then a Reflective. All due by end of August.

I've managed to almost pile through my first draft. But SO much revision is going to be required.

Dealing with boredom/staying focused = taking regular breaks. Having a day or two where I allow myself to do nothing. Focusing on the end goal!

The draft thing is interesting - do you write distinct 1st, 2nd, final drafts etc, rewriting each one methodically?

I've never worked like that, wonder if I should. I tend to end up with one sort of living document (ambitiously titled 'Dissertation') that gets constantly revised as I go along. Currently on about 3,500 words, but progress is slow because of all the chopping and changing. It's a messy way to work, but the drafts technique has never really worked for me.

What are you writing about?
I think it depends on how you like working really. I mean the way you're doing it sounds like a pretty sensible method too.

I guess they are distinct. I take the first draft, then kinda copy/paste bits I want as I revise into the next. I haven't ever gone beyond a 2nd. As by that stage I just work on editing and revision like yourself.

It's about cultural similarities in storytelling through the world. (A short version of a long title lol).

How about yours?
I think it depends on how you like working really. I mean the way you're doing it sounds like a pretty sensible method too.

I guess they are distinct. I take the first draft, then kinda copy/paste bits I want as I revise into the next. I haven't ever gone beyond a 2nd. As by that stage I just work on editing and revision like yourself.

It's about cultural similarities in storytelling through the world. (A short version of a long title lol).

How about yours?

Nice, sounds really interesting! Big fan of storytelling.

Mine is about the role of imperial nostalgia in justifying the decision to replace the Trident nuclear weapons system.
Thanks! It's been cool to research!

Now, yours sounds awesome too. SO much material you can delve into for it. I bet it's a bit of a pain sorting through it all and keeping to a strict focus.
It's been OK - it's a short piece really, so there's not the space for original research per se - which is nice, because it means I don't have to do a whole discourse analysis. It's more of a very long and complicated essay! But yeah, there's tons of stuff out there. I've just about got to grips with various theories of memory and nostalgia and empire, then it's a case of inserting the concept into the Trident narrative and showing how it works. Long way to go!
You'll get there man. Especially as it sounds like you have a genuine grasp in the topic you've picked. I'd be tempted to do so much unnecessary research with that topic though haha. It just sounds interesting.
Reply 9

How about yours?

This is super interesting, I study British sign language alongside my degree and my focus for my project at the moment, which may turn into a diss, is about story telling in sign language.
I also have never gone past two drafts, I work very similarly to your method
Nice one Summer!

What kinds of stories do you focus on/use for for it?
Nice one Summer!

What kinds of stories do you focus on/use for for it?

Largely been fairy tale stories, as well as some biblical ones, I wanted to first look at stories well known in English and then compare how they're told in Deaf communities, hopefully be moving on to stories which are exclusive to the deaf community and research how story telling works in general in BSL.
Sounds awesome to me. My choices in stories is similar, although I'm comparing how different cultures/groups view them and their messages.

The exclusive ones to the Deaf communities should be interesting. It's not something I've ever had the chance to look into. There must be some cool background to them too!
I'm starting my Masters in September and I actually wish I could start off with my dissertation- I can't wait to start writing it!
My topic is the development and decline of the Northumbrian dialect and associated sub dialects 😊
Original post by princessmaire80
I'm starting my Masters in September and I actually wish I could start off with my dissertation- I can't wait to start writing it!
My topic is the development and decline of the Northumbrian dialect and associated sub dialects 😊

Wow that's a pretty cool topic! Never thought much about the Northumbrian dialect if I'm honest with you :smile: You say that now haha! Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by tomv46
I'm well up for this discussion, since the reason I am here is procrastinating from writing my masters diss.

It's not a huge word count - 15,000 - but it's a slog. Due end of September. I'm actually really interested in the topic I'm writing about, but currently in the process of writing all the fluff at the start - concepts, philosophy, lit review. Yawn.

same! :/
Reply 16
Currently in the process of writing my dissertation for my MSc (20,000 words) I like my topic but I am getting really bored, done a draft of the literature review which was okay and now moved onto drafting my methodology chapter which I am finding so boring! Not far off getting a draft done for that now though. I am hoping after that it will become a little more interesting for me (i.e findings/ discussion sections).
Reply 17
Writing my MSc dissertation - (Electrical Engineering) as we speak! 20k words as well.. Have like 2k so far lmao..

I wish it was only boring... personally speaking mine is so difficult, i still have to do loads of practical stuff and i don't even know where to start, or how to start.....

oh god..
I did quite well in my dissertation. I was given 83% and this from a someone who was a strict marker. We're going to actually get the paper published in a Journal. I studied Mpharm and my dissertation was based on a laboratory work we did. My advice to anyone is attain a solid understanding with regards to the background of the work you're involved in. So many people I know did not achieve the higher marks because, for example, their discussion section was quite weak as they did not have a good depth and breadth of the topic. My other advice is, don't see it as something boring! Try to enjoy it and be proud of it. This still your work to a great extent!
Reply 19
Original post by meyra31
Writing my MSc dissertation - (Electrical Engineering) as we speak! 20k words as well.. Have like 2k so far lmao..

I wish it was only boring... personally speaking mine is so difficult, i still have to do loads of practical stuff and i don't even know where to start, or how to start.....

oh god..

Have you got a dissertation supervisor? I started mine with the literature review document and got the background info down first before going into the nitty gritty stuff. Also I sat and thought of potential sub headings for my literature review which really helped me then as it was a case of filling them in then!
Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending